Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #46
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
PopFlash has the ZK's on their normal website at the same lower prices they've had for some time now...

Cool, thanks. I spoke with them and they have a few of each, but not that many.

12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #47
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: eastern Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 143
In a recent post we read: "Considering the prices of Zeiss lenses it is hard to understand why a Pentaxian would invest in them. If you are satisfied with manual focus, why wouldn't you just get a "A" lens for hundreds less. I am sure that Zeiss is better in some respects, but some of what you are paying for is a name."

Hundreds less??? I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.

The Zeiss 35mm f2 ZK is going for $737 (from PopFlash), while Adorama is selling the 31mm limited for $1,005.69 USD.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 12-12-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: mispelling
12-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #48
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Holy crap! Is that just Zeiss, or do you think they were including the Voigtlanders, too?
Because, Zeiss and Voigtlander are made by the same manufacturer - Cosina.
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #49
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Because, Zeiss and Voigtlander are made by the same manufacturer - Cosina.
I guess you want to say that Zeiss and Voiglander both had lenses build in a Cosina factory.

You make it look as if both were just selling their names to Cosina, which is not true.

Unless you have further insights, I'd say the fact that both Zeiss and Voigtlander stopped their PK mount productions is unrelated except for the fact that both their sales have been low.

12-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #50
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
OMG sTOP THE PRESSES! Guess what I found out?

Neither Sigma, Tamron or Tokina make a lens for the Leica mount! holy crap they must be doomed now.

Yes Zeiss' lenses are nice but why on Earth would I pay the money for a *NEW* lens that doesn't have AF?

What's next I'll "upgrade" to film? ahha
12-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #51
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,238
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I guess you want to say that Zeiss and Voiglander both had lenses build in a Cosina factory.

You make it look as if both were just selling their names to Cosina, which is not true.

For Zeiss - yes.
Z-lenses are manufactured in Japan by Cosina to Zeiss specifications.


From 1999 until the present time (2010), Voigtländer-branded products have been manufactured and marketed by Cosina.

Cosina Voigtländer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #52
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,213
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
In a recent post we read: "Considering the prices of Zeiss lenses it is hard to understand why a Pentaxian would invest in them. If you are satisfied with manual focus, why wouldn't you just get a "A" lens for hundreds less. I am sure that Zeiss is better in some respects, but some of what you are paying for is a name."

Hundreds less??? I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.

The Zeiss 35mm f2 ZK is going for $737 (from PopFlash), while Adorama is selling the 31mm limited for $1,005.69 USD.
Obviously, you chose a couple of lenses there which are either priced at the top end of Pentax's lens selection, or are just flat discontinued. On the other hand, there are a bunch of A 28mm f2.8 lenses out there (if you were satisfied with that), the FA 35 f2 routinely sells for a couple of hundred less than the Zeiss, and the FA 77 runs 780 from B and H.
12-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #53
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.
Or you could have just bought the FA 77 Limited. It is in production, in stock and incomparable.

12-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote

What's next I'll "upgrade" to film? ahha
Please use the correct term. It's it not "film" anymore.

It is RealRAW.
12-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,578
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
OMG sTOP THE PRESSES! Guess what I found out?

Neither Sigma, Tamron or Tokina make a lens for the Leica mount! holy crap they must be doomed now.

Yes Zeiss' lenses are nice but why on Earth would I pay the money for a *NEW* lens that doesn't have AF?

What's next I'll "upgrade" to film? ahha
If you are so into AF then why did you go with Pentax?

Believe it or not, there are a great many famous, sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed photographs from even a century before auto focus, much less digital photography.

And yes, film is an upgrade.
12-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Yes Zeiss' lenses are nice but why on Earth would I pay the money for a *NEW* lens that doesn't have AF?
If you have to ask, you'll never know.
12-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #57
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
If you are so into AF then why did you go with Pentax?

Believe it or not, there are a great many famous, sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed photographs from even a century before auto focus, much less digital photography.

And yes, film is an upgrade.
One could just as easily ask what you're doing in the news forum, given that you believe film and manual focus are best, yet Pentax doesn't make (and has zero chance of announcing) a film camera, *or* a camera that doesn't offer auto focus? ;-)

As for the knock on Pentax's AF abilities, you must not have used their recent DSLRs, which are basically on par with equally priced competition, if not just a touch better in low light. The only place where Pentax lags in AF is the lower number of AF points, which isn't a disadvantage for many purposes.
12-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
If you are so into AF then why did you go with Pentax?

Believe it or not, there are a great many famous, sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed photographs from even a century before auto focus, much less digital photography.

And yes, film is an upgrade.
Pentax AF on the K-7 is adequate for my needs, that been said I understand the K-5 is quite an improvement and equal playing field with the competition so your point is moot.
12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,578
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
One could just as easily ask what you're doing in the news forum, given that you believe film and manual focus are best, yet Pentax doesn't make (and has zero chance of announcing) a film camera, *or* a camera that doesn't offer auto focus? ;-)

As for the knock on Pentax's AF abilities, you must not have used their recent DSLRs, which are basically on par with equally priced competition, if not just a touch better in low light. The only place where Pentax lags in AF is the lower number of AF points, which isn't a disadvantage for many purposes.
I never said that manual focus was "best". My point is that you don't need auto focus to take good photos.

I will admit that I have not had much exposure to Pentax's most recent camera bodies, but the models that were on the market as of a year and a half ago (K20, K200) had terrible AF performance compared to the competition.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Pentax AF on the K-7 is adequate for my needs, that been said I understand the K-5 is quite an improvement and equal playing field with the competition so your point is moot.
Great! And for those of us who would rather have the ultimate in image quality than AF?
12-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #60
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I never said that manual focus was "best". My point is that you don't need auto focus to take good photos.

I will admit that I have not had much exposure to Pentax's most recent camera bodies, but the models that were on the market as of a year and a half ago (K20, K200) had terrible AF performance compared to the competition.



Great! And for those of us who would rather have the ultimate in image quality than AF?
Will Zeiss get better boob shots that's all that matters to me?
Will Zeiss get me laid?

Ok where am I going with this? well no where, AF is the way manual is for old fogies who live in yesteryear.

In reality I have yet to see the advantage of highly overpriced Zeiss glass over equivalent lenses and to pay such a premium when you can't even get something like AF just boggles my mind, but that's me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographer, zeiss, zk, zk lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f/stop in Raw or EXIF (using MF lenses) yusuf Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 09-13-2010 11:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: Three Pentax Lenses and a Carl Zeiss Youngster Sold Items 1 01-30-2010 01:03 AM
K-x Stop-down metering with m-42 lenses Bazwell Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-20-2009 12:57 PM
2 New Lenses Annouced by Carl Zeiss & Sigma for PENTAX creampuff Pentax News and Rumors 168 09-18-2008 07:52 AM
Pentax K10D + Zeiss ZK Lenses?? martin s Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 01-10-2008 02:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top