Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
PopFlash has the ZK's on their normal website at the same lower prices they've had for some time now...

Cool, thanks. I spoke with them and they have a few of each, but not that many.

12-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a recent post we read: "Considering the prices of Zeiss lenses it is hard to understand why a Pentaxian would invest in them. If you are satisfied with manual focus, why wouldn't you just get a "A" lens for hundreds less. I am sure that Zeiss is better in some respects, but some of what you are paying for is a name."

Hundreds less??? I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.

The Zeiss 35mm f2 ZK is going for $737 (from PopFlash), while Adorama is selling the 31mm limited for $1,005.69 USD.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 12-12-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: mispelling
12-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #48
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Holy crap! Is that just Zeiss, or do you think they were including the Voigtlanders, too?
Because, Zeiss and Voigtlander are made by the same manufacturer - Cosina.
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Because, Zeiss and Voigtlander are made by the same manufacturer - Cosina.
I guess you want to say that Zeiss and Voiglander both had lenses build in a Cosina factory.

You make it look as if both were just selling their names to Cosina, which is not true.

Unless you have further insights, I'd say the fact that both Zeiss and Voigtlander stopped their PK mount productions is unrelated except for the fact that both their sales have been low.

12-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #50
Veteran Member

OMG sTOP THE PRESSES! Guess what I found out?

Neither Sigma, Tamron or Tokina make a lens for the Leica mount! holy crap they must be doomed now.

Yes Zeiss' lenses are nice but why on Earth would I pay the money for a *NEW* lens that doesn't have AF?

What's next I'll "upgrade" to film? ahha
12-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I guess you want to say that Zeiss and Voiglander both had lenses build in a Cosina factory.

You make it look as if both were just selling their names to Cosina, which is not true.

For Zeiss - yes.
Z-lenses are manufactured in Japan by Cosina to Zeiss specifications.

From 1999 until the present time (2010), Voigtländer-branded products have been manufactured and marketed by Cosina.

Cosina Voigtländer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
In a recent post we read: "Considering the prices of Zeiss lenses it is hard to understand why a Pentaxian would invest in them. If you are satisfied with manual focus, why wouldn't you just get a "A" lens for hundreds less. I am sure that Zeiss is better in some respects, but some of what you are paying for is a name."

Hundreds less??? I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.

The Zeiss 35mm f2 ZK is going for $737 (from PopFlash), while Adorama is selling the 31mm limited for $1,005.69 USD.
Obviously, you chose a couple of lenses there which are either priced at the top end of Pentax's lens selection, or are just flat discontinued. On the other hand, there are a bunch of A 28mm f2.8 lenses out there (if you were satisfied with that), the FA 35 f2 routinely sells for a couple of hundred less than the Zeiss, and the FA 77 runs 780 from B and H.

12-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I recently purchased an 85 1.4 Zeiss ZK for $957 on Ebay (PopFlash). At the same time there were two A* 85mm 1.4 Pentax lenses for sale. One (in not particularly great condition) was over $1,200 USD. The other ('mint') was $1,468 USD. This was a no-brainer for me.
Or you could have just bought the FA 77 Limited. It is in production, in stock and incomparable.
12-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote

Please use the correct term. It's it not "film" anymore.

It is RealRAW.
12-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #55
Veteran Member

OMG sTOP THE PRESSES! Guess what I found out?

Neither Sigma, Tamron or Tokina make a lens for the Leica mount! holy crap they must be doomed now.

Yes Zeiss' lenses are nice but why on Earth would I pay the money for a *NEW* lens that doesn't have AF?

If you are so into AF then why did you go with Pentax?

Believe it or not, there are a great many famous, sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed photographs from even a century before auto focus, much less digital photography.

And yes, film is an upgrade.
12-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #56
Banned

Photos: Albums
If you have to ask, you'll never know.
12-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote

Believe it or not, there are a great many famous, sharp, well composed, perfectly exposed photographs from even a century before auto focus, much less digital photography.

One could just as easily ask what you're doing in the news forum, given that you believe film and manual focus are best, yet Pentax doesn't make (and has zero chance of announcing) a film camera, *or* a camera that doesn't offer auto focus? ;-)

As for the knock on Pentax's AF abilities, you must not have used their recent DSLRs, which are basically on par with equally priced competition, if not just a touch better in low light. The only place where Pentax lags in AF is the lower number of AF points, which isn't a disadvantage for many purposes.
12-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Pentax AF on the K-7 is adequate for my needs, that been said I understand the K-5 is quite an improvement and equal playing field with the competition so your point is moot.
12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
One could just as easily ask what you're doing in the news forum, given that you believe film and manual focus are best, yet Pentax doesn't make (and has zero chance of announcing) a film camera, *or* a camera that doesn't offer auto focus? ;-)

As for the knock on Pentax's AF abilities, you must not have used their recent DSLRs, which are basically on par with equally priced competition, if not just a touch better in low light. The only place where Pentax lags in AF is the lower number of AF points, which isn't a disadvantage for many purposes.
I never said that manual focus was "best". My point is that you don't need auto focus to take good photos.

I will admit that I have not had much exposure to Pentax's most recent camera bodies, but the models that were on the market as of a year and a half ago (K20, K200) had terrible AF performance compared to the competition.

Pentax AF on the K-7 is adequate for my needs, that been said I understand the K-5 is quite an improvement and equal playing field with the competition so your point is moot.
Great! And for those of us who would rather have the ultimate in image quality than AF?
12-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I never said that manual focus was "best". My point is that you don't need auto focus to take good photos.

I will admit that I have not had much exposure to Pentax's most recent camera bodies, but the models that were on the market as of a year and a half ago (K20, K200) had terrible AF performance compared to the competition.

Great! And for those of us who would rather have the ultimate in image quality than AF?
Will Zeiss get better boob shots that's all that matters to me?
Will Zeiss get me laid?

Ok where am I going with this? well no where, AF is the way manual is for old fogies who live in yesteryear.

In reality I have yet to see the advantage of highly overpriced Zeiss glass over equivalent lenses and to pay such a premium when you can't even get something like AF just boggles my mind, but that's me.