Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #61
Veteran Member
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Will Zeiss get better boob shots that's all that matters to me?
Will Zeiss get me laid?

Ok where am I going with this? well no where, AF is the way manual is for old fogies who live in yesteryear.

In reality I have yet to see the advantage of highly overpriced Zeiss glass over equivalent lenses and to pay such a premium when you can't even get something like AF just boggles my mind, but that's me.
You are right, all of us manual focus guys are old fogies. Heck, I'm practically ancient at the brittle old age of 35. Maybe it is time for me to move into a retirement community.

If you need auto focus to take good photographs then I feel sorry for you.

12-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #62
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You are right, all of us manual focus guys are old fogies. Heck, I'm practically ancient at the brittle old age of 35. Maybe it is time for me to move into a retirement community.

If you need auto focus to take good photographs then I feel sorry for you.
Steve I love how you took my facetious post and didn't get fired up

But you're right time for retirement, ill help you find a nice place

You're right I don't need AF to take nice photos, with my macros recently its all purely been MF with reversed lenses and I have no doubt that there are some great old school MF lenses but these days if I am going to fork our hard earned money on new modern glass I expect it to have AF at a minimum, especially for the price of Zeiss glass.
12-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #63
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I am going to fork our hard earned money on new modern glass I expect it to have AF at a minimum, especially for the price of Zeiss glass.
Yes, this. There are many wonderful lenses out there which manually focus, but they aren't 1000 dollars. If you are going to spend that sort of money, I would think the FA 77 or DA* 50-135 are going to be more useful all around than one of these Zeiss lenses.

Never tried a Zeiss manual focus lens, but at these prices I also have no desire to do so.
12-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #64
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Yes, this. There are many wonderful lenses out there which manually focus, but they aren't 1000 dollars. If you are going to spend that sort of money, I would think the FA 77 or DA* 50-135 are going to be more useful all around than one of these Zeiss lenses.

Never tried a Zeiss manual focus lens, but at these prices I also have no desire to do so.
Zeiss lenses are highly desirable in their own right. They reknown for their very specific bokeh that is much more "nervous" than japaneses lenses. Typically the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus will be more abrupt and the blur less creamy.

Are the lenses better than say FA ltd or the FA50/1.4, not on paper, but their rendition is certainly different.

12-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #65
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Are the lenses better than say FA ltd or the FA50/1.4, not on paper, but their rendition is certainly different.
This makes sense and I can certainly respect that these are all artistic devices... and therefore every photographer will have their own preferences.

However, I can also understand why their price scheme did not hold up alongside the FA / DA LTDs. The userbase is already small, and I think the pentax lineup competes more directly with the Zeiss glass than the Nikon / Canon primes do.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, photographer, zeiss, zk, zk lenses
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f/stop in Raw or EXIF (using MF lenses) yusuf Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 09-13-2010 11:18 AM
For Sale - Sold: Three Pentax Lenses and a Carl Zeiss Youngster Sold Items 1 01-30-2010 01:03 AM
K-x Stop-down metering with m-42 lenses Bazwell Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 11-20-2009 12:57 PM
2 New Lenses Annouced by Carl Zeiss & Sigma for PENTAX creampuff Pentax News and Rumors 168 09-18-2008 07:52 AM
Pentax K10D + Zeiss ZK Lenses?? martin s Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 01-10-2008 02:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:57 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top