Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss to stop ZK lenses for Pentax

The information have been reported by Mike Johnston at the online photographer:

QuoteQuote:
A press release from Carl Zeiss, Oberkochen, Germany, this morning confirms that Zeiss will discontinue its ZK line of manual-focus lenses for Pentax K mount. The time frame is "Fall 2010," a.k.a., imminently.
Zeiss says, "Based on the market situation, the division will focus on SLR lenses from the ZE [Canon] and ZF.2 [Nikon] series in the future." The move makes a certain amount of sense, considering the Zeiss Z[x] lenses cover 24x36 and Pentax doesn't have a full-frame body—and considering that Pentax has an excellent lineup of AF primes that match its bodies.
The Online Photographer: Zeiss to Discontinue Lenses for Pentax

09-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
They too probably got sick and tired of waiting for FF. I am not all that happy about it. They are fantastic lenses.

Anybody want to sell 85/1.4 ZK??
09-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

this is not good, looks like 3rd party lens-makers don't believe Pentax will make any FF camera

09-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Understandable.

Zeiss lenses are not that attractive to Pentax user since they are made for FF and sales must have been confidential.

On the other hand, Canon and Nikon now have a strong base of FF users and it seems logical that Zeiss want to concentrate their relatively low production volumes on them.
09-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own a 85!1.4 ZK and love it! And it's not for sale.
I asked the fellow at the Leica Boutique in Montreal where I bought the lens and this is what he told me:

Thank you for the note and the enthusiastic review of the Zeiss optics.
Unfortunately it is true that Zeiss is discontinuing the Pentax mount for the SLR lenses. A sign of the time I presume.
In stock I still have the following lenses in the ZK mount:

18, 21, 28, 35, 50 F1,4 and 50 F2 Makro

Cheers,

P.S.: I believe this also applies for Voigtlander lenses but maybe I am mistaken. Can someone confirm this?

JP
09-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
P.S.: I believe this also applies for Voigtlander lenses but maybe I am mistaken. Can someone confirm this?

JP
ZK lenses and Voigtlander lenses were made in the same factory in Japan... Draw your conclusion

09-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

ZK lenses and Voigtlander lenses were made in the same factory in Japan... Draw your conclusion
Cosina stopped too. Several days ago.
09-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Understandable. I was always surprised that Pentax figured on their list of compatible mounts (and why not Sony if chasing low-market mounts?).

But these lenses are so expensive that the body is almost a secondary consideration anyway. Still it's sad to see Pentax losing support from a third party.
09-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Dan
Pentaxian

This is hardly news. The story broke over two weeks ago, right here on Pentaxforums! It was confirmed that Cosina will no longer be making Voigtlander or Zeiss lenses for the K mount. I suppose that it is helpful to re-post the information, since apparently not everyone got the word.

Dan
09-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
This is hardly news. The story broke over two weeks ago, right here on Pentaxforums! It was confirmed that Cosina will no longer be making Voigtlander or Zeiss lenses for the K mount. I suppose that it is helpful to re-post the information, since apparently not everyone got the word.

Dan
Two weeks ago, Cosina discontinued Voigtlander lenses for K mount. Today Zeiss officially discontinues lenses in K mount.
09-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Woopy ding...

We've got Limited lenses to fill that void, and they HAVE autofocus.

Cheers,
Cameron

09-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Meh...
09-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #14
Dan
Pentaxian

Two weeks ago, Cosina discontinued Voigtlander lenses for K mount. Today Zeiss officially discontinues lenses in K mount.
Fair enough. The previous information came from a major distributor. This makes it official.

By the way, as someone noted during our earlier discussion, K-mount Zeiss lenses are being liquidated on eBay at deep discounts. (Search for Popflash Photo to see some of the deals.) The fact that they seem to be selling poorly even at deeply discounted prices makes it clear why they have been discontinued.

Dan
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Fair enough. The previous information came from a major distributor. This makes it official.

By the way, as someone noted during our earlier discussion, K-mount Zeiss lenses are being liquidated on eBay at deep discounts. (Search for Popflash Photo to see some of the deals.) The fact that they seem to be selling poorly even at deeply discounted prices makes it clear why they have been discontinued.

Dan

Nope, those are the same prices they've had for the better part of a year (at least).