Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Zeiss should have an "Adaptall" system. It would reduce the cost of making the glass available for several mounts and it would allow owners to move their Zeiss glass between systems. Given that they don't AF anyhow, the adapter shouldn't be that complicated (and might contain the chip required for some cameras to enable metering).
I think that sounds like an excellent idea. But the adapter would have to be able to pass on metering info. They wouldn't be nearly as much fun to use if I had to manually meter them.

09-23-2010, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is disappointing that Pentax users now have fewer choices in high-end glass. That said, I can see how Zeiss was unable to compete with superior offerings from Pentax themselves -- nicer colours, auto-focus, smaller and lighter, better bokeh. Zeiss advantages include smoother manual focusing and faster maximum apertures, but that hardly justified the price differential.
09-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
They too probably got sick and tired of waiting for FF.
ZFs were being produced for >2 years prior to the FX line being introduced. They likely are not selling enough to warrant continuing the mount. Lack of FF might of had some bearing on people not buying them, but I suspect the price of the lenses had more to do with it. While there are legitimate photogs using zeiss optics for their performance, the majority of the users I've run across are more interested in the collecting (or rather the snob-aspect) of the lenses. They don't outperform most system lenses, and early copies had their focus gumming up in cold weather too. They simply don't represent good value at all.
09-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the prices of Zeiss lenses it is hard to understand why a Pentaxian would invest in them. If you are satisfied with manual focus, why wouldn't you just get a "A" lens for hundreds less. I am sure that Zeiss is better in some respects, but some of what you are paying for is a name.

09-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #35
Nubi

I have 50/1.4 and 35/2. I agree that comparatively speaking, no they are not good value. But, to me there is nothing like it. These lenses renders in a way that other lenses don't. I want 85/1.4. Somebody sell it to me please.
09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
Banned

Photos: Albums
The Zeiss 85/1.4 is still in stock at BH.
09-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #37

i bought the 85 from popflash via ebay. they have a regular online store, but the pentax zeiss lenses they carry are on ebay. popflash has an impeccable reputation and their price was the lowest i found (for new).

09-24-2010, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #38

For some unknown reason popflash shot down their ebay store today.
They are planning to reopen in a month or two.
There is not so many Zeiss ZK lenses left out there, so their timing for
the potential buyers is not that good.
You can try to contact them directly if interested, but they don't even have those
lenses on their webpage anymore.
09-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
We've got Limited lenses to fill that void, and they HAVE autofocus.

Cheers,
Cameron
That ought to work out great when I want a 40mm f2 lens.
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
For some unknown reason popflash shot down their ebay store today.
They are planning to reopen in a month or two.
There is not so many Zeiss ZK lenses left out there, so their timing for
the potential buyers is not that good.
You can try to contact them directly if interested, but they don't even have those
lenses on their webpage anymore.
And my goodness. Just when I am really to buy one of those 35 distagon and 50 planar! I just couldn't find it... Just one day of difference...
09-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I asked them at the photokina and they guessed that the PK lenses will still be available probably for about 2-3 years from stock.
09-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I asked them at the photokina and they guessed that the PK lenses will still be available probably for about 2-3 years from stock.
That's a pretty good indication of how fast the ZK's are/were selling.
09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Holy crap! Is that just Zeiss, or do you think they were including the Voigtlanders, too?
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #44

Maybe some lenses will. But Adorama for example doesn't have 21 f2.8 already...
- found it - it's listed as "ZF" for Pentax, the picture and description shows the ZF version (no electronic Nikon)
The best 3, 4 lenses will be gone within a few months...

Last edited by andi; 09-25-2010 at 09:37 AM.
09-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Probably, but the only place I will buy them is PopFlash. Their prices on the ZK's are substantially lower than the big boys. The only other one I "need" is the 50/2, and I just ordered it. That gives me a nice three lens MF set. Should last me a lifetime. BTW, whoever's interested, PopFlash has the ZK's on their normal website at the same lower prices they've had for some time now. Their ebay store is still closed or non-existent, but the regular site is functional and stocked. I did notice when I clicked on my lens that it said "limited quantities available" in big red letters. Could be a sales tactic, I don't know. I was going to get this lens anyway, the events of late just sped up the timing.