Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Anywhere in the 99% of the world that is not Japan.
98%

10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Fear Uncertainty Doubt" huh? You see all that in my statement? I think that's more than a little over the top.
Well, I said "close to", referring to your (I think) false claim that the FA645 glass is out of production. But sorry for using that expression, since I of course don't think you have any "agenda" here, you're just overly pessimistic (and maybe one can't blame the Irish for being that these days... )

QuoteQuote:
I want to start with a pretty basic three-lens setup (wide, normal, tele) and tilt/shift. How do you think Pentax is in consideration?

It is not appropriate to quote from photographers who are located in Japan. Neither is it appropriate to reference old glass that is available for sale a couple times a year for a few moments (hours if you are lucky), and which fetches increasingly stratospheric prices.
Well, the problem with your statements is that this "old glass" is current glass, and can be bought new in Japan any time (and btw new and demo used lenses were available at quite reduced prices here in Norway until very recently...no stratospheric prices, I considered buying one of them, but maybe buying a 645D is just too far into the future for me). If Pentax plans to release the 645D in Europe without re-introducing any of the FA645 lenses, you have a valid point. Pentax has done stranger things, but until this happens, or you have reliable information that it will happen, you're just being way too pessimistic.
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #63
Pentaxian

I want to start with a pretty basic three-lens setup (wide, normal, tele) and tilt/shift. How do you think Pentax is in consideration?

No FUD here, sorry. Just facts. I would love to see Pentax compete. I have written rather glowingly on the 645D. I own a 645N and know how good the old lenses are. But assembling a system from old bits and bobs just doesn't even begin to cut the mustard against what the competition offers.
For tilt/shift there is hartblei HARTBLEI 45mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI There should also be another russianlens, but can't find it at the time.

Probably when the 645D starts shipping there will be new lenses to buy next to it. You need an enterpreneur who sees a market. Or Pentax can get a direct line true their webstore.

I bought my lenses on secondhand market, but did that before the launch of the 645D (I was so happy on that). You just have to find things and get it for reasenable prices if possible.
10-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That hasn't been available for years, or I would have bought one some time ago. They keep the info on their website just to drive us nuts.

I keep saying that Pentax should release a tilt/shift adapter for K-mount. It would be easy enough to manage, since no new glass would be required. It would instead allow attachment of any of the fine 645 lenses... these cover a large enough image circle that all would be well on APS-C. Indeed, it is likely that all that would be required is FF K-mount gear.

A tilt/shift for 645D is a different matter and would require more ingenuity. However, the Hasselblad adapter works fine with a variety of their lenses. This must mean that there is enough extra image area produced by them in normal use to more than cover the cropped 645 format. Same for Pentax, then.

10-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
But sorry for using that expression, since I of course don't think you have any "agenda" here, you're just overly pessimistic (and maybe one can't blame the Irish for being that these days... )
Yes, indeed. The economy here has tanked. A bog standard retail job came up at a local store last week -- they had 500 applicants. Unemployment on the ground has more than doubled. Entire housing estates lie empty, as well as incomplete and abandoned office blocks. It would make a good photo study except no-one would buy the shots.

But I am not pessimistic in regards to Pentax, only trying to extrapolate from their past behaviour in light of very little hard info. If they would make an announcement about projected lens releases and support in Europe then I would optimistically assume their promises will be kept. But with no announcement, no optimism is possible.

I think the 645D looks great and wish Pentax every success. But I wouldn't bet my business on a one camera, one lens system.

I think I have exhausted this topic and do not wish to generate any further hard feelings.
10-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
98%
Indeed, 98.1% by population but 99.7% by area and who knows how much by camera consumption? Likely a lot less, since the Japanese must lead the world in per capita camera purchases.
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #67
Pentaxian

I keep saying that Pentax should release a tilt/shift adapter for K-mount. It would be easy enough to manage, since no new glass would be required. It would instead allow attachment of any of the fine 645 lenses... these cover a large enough image circle that all would be well on APS-C. Indeed, it is likely that all that would be required is FF K-mount gear.
I just looked at it again, since you'r now talking about K-mount:

MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens

MC 80 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens

10-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #68
Veteran Member

It's cheaper at $595 on the Hartblei site. Another option is to pair up the Pentacon 6 to K-mount Tilt adapter with a MC Arsat 45/3.5 Pentacon Six lens for $310. If you have money to burn, Schneider Kreuznach have recently announced a Super-Angulon 2.8/50 HM at €2800 + VAT (so, more like €3400). These options are not nearly as wide as what you can readily buy from Canon and Nikon in full-frame.

In 645 land one can use the Zrk Multi Focus System and mount 39mm lenses. A combo with a 105/4 APO Rodagon is $1849. I have no idea what field of view that would actually present.

10-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interresting directions this thread goes

Lets wait and see what happens.
At least Scandinavian Photo still have plenty of FA645 lenses listed for order.
One should remember that half a year ago the pessimistic view was that "it will only be released in Japan" and a year ago it was "it will never be released", and now we even have a release date for Europe.