Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
interview with Swedish Pentax representant: 645D market and more

In a web-TV interview the Swedish photomagazine KameraBild interviews Per Skog from focus-Nordic (the Pentax importer in Sweden). He says that they will have a few copies of the 645D for Sweden in December. He also estimate that they will sell 50 bodies the first year. If that could be extrapolated to the European Union (Sweden 9 million inhabitants, EU 501 millions) it implies about 2800 645D bodies the first year in Europe. Of course this market will differ a lot form country to country, but it probably gives some sort of idea of the magnitude of the market for this camera over here. Wonder what that means for the global market? 10,000 bodies/year?

He also says they get quite many calls about the 645D and that they hope to compete with it on the FF market especially among nature photographers.
The K-r and K-5 should be in Swedish shops in October.

Edit: The interview is from current Photokina.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 09-23-2010 at 11:19 AM.
09-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link and info
09-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

that means for the global market? 10,000 bodies/year?

He also says they get quite many calls about the 645D and that they hope to compete with it on the FF market especially among nature photographers.
Pentax says at the official site about production of 500 camera per months
??????????????????????PENTAX?645D?????PENTAX

It means 12*500=6000 bodies per year.
09-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax says at the official site about production of 500 camera per months
??????????????????????PENTAX?645D?????PENTAX

It means 12*500=6000 bodies per year.
Those production rates were posted when they were only targeting the Asian market. Obviously they have to increase production if they are going to increase the market size.

09-23-2010, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Those production rates were posted when they were only targeting the Asian market. Obviously they have to increase production if they are going to increase the market size.
Not necessarily so. I would guess the market for these kind of cameras is rather small. It could be interest in Japan has slowed down considerably, thus freeing up cameras to be shipped to other countries.
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't see a conflict between these numbers. Upscaling from 50 copies/year in Sweden to European or even global level is very uncertain. Let's say the market in Sweden is somewhat above the average European market (after all, we have plenty of nature and nature photographers and a fair share of rain, and Pentax was strong here in the good old days). Then the total European market could be closer to 2000 bodies/year, or 1/3rd of the global market if we simply assume equal shares between Europe, US and Asia. If the US market is somewhat smaller than the European (which it should be if it is per capita), there is room for a somewhat bigger market in Asia (including Japan). These numbers are very uncertain. Presumably Pentax have had access to similar estimates from their local representatives, so they could add up a less uncertain total number.

In any case I get a feeling people who want this camera should line up and make an order soon, because the small production per month will cause long queues in the beginning. Who knows how long time it takes to saturate the market? If they manage to sell weatherproof MF cameras to nature photographers and steal just a small corner of the DSLR FF market, I suspect these numbers could change upward.
09-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In case the demand exceeds their production capacity, they just have a positive problem

09-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...I get a feeling people who want this camera should line up and make an order soon, because the small production per month will cause long queues in the beginning...
Sounds to me like they may need to raise the price.

"A line is a sure sign the price is too low." Lesson 1, ECON 101

Cheers..
09-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Inactive Account

In a web-TV interview the Swedish photomagazine KameraBild interviews Per Skog from focus-Nordic (the Pentax importer in Sweden). He says that they will have a few copies of the 645D for Sweden in December. He also estimate that they will sell 50 bodies the first year. If that could be extrapolated to the European Union (Sweden 9 million inhabitants, EU 501 millions) it implies about 2800 645D bodies the first year in Europe. Of course this market will differ a lot form country to country, but it probably gives some sort of idea of the magnitude of the market for this camera over here. Wonder what that means for the global market? 10,000 bodies/year?

Very nice to hear Douglas. I will at least try to hold one.....once somewhere if possible. Very nice that the "modern" Pentax is slowly finding its way into Sweden. I know Mediamarkt are good in promoting Pentax and keep them on the demo stands to touch and feel!
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Very nice to hear Douglas. I will at least try to hold one.....once somewhere if possible. Very nice that the "modern" Pentax is slowly finding its way into Sweden. I know Mediamarkt are good in promoting Pentax and keep them on the demo stands to touch and feel!
I've noticed lately on the local (Swedish) second hand market (blocket, tradera and elsewhere) that some people are selling of a lot of gear claiming that they are saving up for a 645D. So obviously some amateurs are trying to get hold of one. A pro, I presume can write it off. Been thinking of trying to get an old film 645 though.
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I've noticed lately on the local (Swedish) second hand market (blocket, tradera and elsewhere) that some people are selling of a lot of gear claiming that they are saving up for a 645D. So obviously some amateurs are trying to get hold of one. A pro, I presume can write it off. Been thinking of trying to get an old film 645 though.
As a contradiciton, i have also seen many selling of their old 645 gear because the interest is going upp with the 645D launch. So it goes both ways! God for the market.

Whats the estimated price for 645D in Sweden???
09-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
As a contradiciton, i have also seen many selling of their old 645 gear because the interest is going upp with the 645D launch. So it goes both ways! God for the market.

Whats the estimated price for 645D in Sweden???
Didn't the Photokina announcement say 10000 Euro on the European market? That is not too bad (not that I'm likely to buy one). A bargain compared to Hasselblad. BTW, wonder how many bodies Hasselblad sell per year?

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 09-25-2010 at 08:38 AM.
09-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Didn't the Photokina announcement say 1000 Euro on the European market? That is not too bad (not that I'm likely to buy one). A bargain compared to Hasselblad. BTW, wonder how many bodies Hasselblad sell per year?
Compared to other MF cameras, i think Pentax will sell lots of them
09-23-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
ogl
Banned

Didn't the Photokina announcement say 1000 Euro on the European market? That is not too bad (not that I'm likely to buy one). A bargain compared to Hasselblad. BTW, wonder how many bodies Hasselblad sell per year?
Pentax announces price and availibilty for 645D camera: Digital Photography Review
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
emr

Didn't the Photokina announcement say 1000 Euro on the European market? That is not too bad (not that I'm likely to buy one).
Certainly not too bad. However, ten times that may be a bit worse.

"My" store lists it at 11999.90 €.