Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I don't get the Fuji X100. Yes, it's a very nice looking camera, but it limits you to a single fixed lens. Very nice if I want 23mm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking 23mm, it's a nice focal length and all, but the main reason I went to a DSLR was the versitility of interchangeable lenses. I could see the fuji if it had just a 3X zoom, 23-70 is an excellent focal range. But 23mm alone is too limiting for me, no matter what the IQ is.

NaCl(no thanks to any fixed prime lens, on any body)H2O
just think of the fuji X100 23/2 as a FF SLR with a 50mm lens. and what does a 50mm do? answer: for general walk-around photography.

09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #47

I voted for Fuji as well!
Looks like majority of pentaxians from this forum voted with their hearts for X100. Now if it wasn't for simmultaneous release of the X100, K5 would have probably gotten more then 11%
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just think of the fuji X100 23/2 as a FF SLR with a 50mm lens. and what does a 50mm do? answer: for general walk-around photography.
The thing is that I do own several "general walk-around" primes from 24mm thru 28, 35 and 43mm. None of these lenses stay on my camera long enough to considering devoting a body exclusively to that lens. To be truthful, my "general walk around" lens is either the Tamron 28-70 or if I think I'll need wider than 28mm, I'll go with baby brother, the Tamron 17-50. And I'm primarily a prime shooter. I have no desire whatsoever to limit myself to one focal length. To me that would be like having a tool box with only one non adjustable wrench in it.

NaCl(why permanently limit myself?)H2O
09-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #49
Veteran Member

The thing is that I do own several "general walk-around" primes from 24mm thru 28, 35 and 43mm. None of these lenses stay on my camera long enough to considering devoting a body exclusively to that lens. To be truthful, my "general walk around" lens is either the Tamron 28-70 or if I think I'll need wider than 28mm, I'll go with baby brother, the Tamron 17-50. And I'm primarily a prime shooter. I have no desire whatsoever to limit myself to one focal length. To me that would be like having a tool box with only one non adjustable wrench in it.

NaCl(why permanently limit myself?)H2O
I think you need a zoom. anyway, regarding only having one non-adjustable wrench, I think you will find it interesting or surprising possibilities you can do with it.

kidding aside, I had used one (wrench) before, although it is quite a bummer on certain occasions. but for general use, got no problem using it. all it needs is a lil bit more perspective.

09-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was most excited about the Sigma, that is until I remembered that Sigma has never met an announced release date for a camera. A real camera company should by them out and get that Foveon sensor out to the world.
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #51
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I was most excited about the Sigma, that is until I remembered that Sigma has never met an announced release date for a camera. A real camera company should by them out and get that Foveon sensor out to the world.
If only Pentax (Hoya) would do that... sweet dreams..
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Pentax should make this digital
+1 to that... they could make a digital ME super or MX with a FF 16MP monochrome sensor, now THAT would be so awesome!

09-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Ooops and I voted for the Fuji, but it was a really elegant product for a need I don't have.
Me too!

09-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shnikus Quote
I voted for Fuji as well!
Looks like majority of pentaxians from this forum voted with their hearts for X100. Now if it wasn't for simmultaneous release of the X100, K5 would have probably gotten more then 11%
Good point, I also would have voted Pentax except for the X100.
10-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I first posted this, the K-5 had 11% of about 25,000 votes. The poll ended with 41,263 total votes, and the K-5's 11% held.

Quick polls: Digital Photography Review
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #56

the vote might even be higher

I wrote to DPreview after the poll had opened and asked of they could include the K-5, which they did. I am impressed.

I think this was about a day or so into Photokina, so the vote for the K-5 might have been higher.
10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Now if Pentax will take Fuji's idea and make one with removable lenses and some pancakes.
I'm all for it !!!!!!!,
I think that will be fantastic, something like good old LX or MX or even ME super, and then any of limited FA - 31mm, 43 & 77 or something from DA but metal and in silver & all interchangeable there will be no limits, even A f1.2 and and and ........oooo boy this is better then sex, well almost
10-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
+1 to that... they could make a digital ME super or MX with a FF 16MP monochrome sensor, now THAT would be so awesome!
I forgot to mention sensor, mmmm..... well sex still better but only just ;-)
10-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I wrote to DPreview after the poll had opened and asked of they could include the K-5, which they did. I am impressed.
It amazes me that DPreview didn't include the K-5 without being prompted. Having said that, I am another who voted for the X100, my second choice would have been the K-5.

Mike.
10-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I don't get the Fuji X100. Yes, it's a very nice looking camera, but it limits you to a single fixed lens. Very nice if I want 23mm. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking 23mm, it's a nice focal length and all, but the main reason I went to a DSLR was the versitility of interchangeable lenses. I could see the fuji if it had just a 3X zoom, 23-70 is an excellent focal range. But 23mm alone is too limiting for me, no matter what the IQ is.

NaCl(no thanks to any fixed prime lens, on any body)H2O
I don't believe Fuji is marketing the X100 as a replacement for your DSLR. Rather it is a camera many DSLR owners would buy as a second camera where a compact rangefinder is better suited to the task.

I used to own a Rollei 35 at the same time as I had my LX system ...the Rollei with it's fixed 40mm lens got a lot of use and I expect my X100 (on pre order now) will also get a lot of usage.