Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
But how does it relate to those two nerds in the video?
Dunno - I didn't watch the video, since the two nerds weren't female, hot and wearing articles of clothing that covered very little.

09-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
The rep specifically says the 150/2.8 OS WILL be released in a Pentax mount.
Sold... The other version of this lens without the OS has great reviews. I will take one with the OS and then I will have my choice between shake reduction and OS.
09-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Here's hoping Sigma hasn't screwed up the IQ of this new version as they have with several other "new and improved" models.
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Here's hoping Sigma hasn't screwed up the IQ of this new version as they have with several other "new and improved" models.
ahem brother!! I have long wanted the 150/macro in a Pentax mount, completely caught by surprise after my switch to Pentax...something I have learned to live with now are the differences in many of my favorite Sigma lenses made in Pentax mounts. Some to the point of not even having HSM but we don't pay any less for them.

I am hoping the 150/OS version is made in a Pentax mount, though I might not be around long enough to afford one, and the OS actually offers some benefit for macro shooting. BTW, this is an obvious counter to the relatively new Canon 100L II IS Macro sans the sealing of the Canon. Plus there is the DFA 100WR as well which by all accounts is a superb macro option as well. Still the Sigma 150 is as good as it gets for a macro...love the added working distance. Having owned and used their 180/3.5 for a couple years I can say I really appreciate the extra MWD of the longer macro lenses. So one was on my want list for next year but now, I am no longer planning that far ahead only for today.

09-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this lens is relatively affordable. Or, at least the older version is. Hopefully the new one will be about the same. The idea of a 150 macro is definitely appealing to me, especially one with the excellent reputation that this one has (though the Oly mounts seem to have had some problems). I especially love that it has a tripod mount. I can see myself getting this lens at some point, but not anytime soon. I've got too many other purchasing irons in the fire right now.
09-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I sent an email to Sigma UK last week asking if the 120-300mm and 150mm macro were to be released in Pentax mount and was asked to contact them again this week when they would have an answer for me (Photokina was still running at the time and they had no info.)

I sent another email today and this was the reply:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your E-mail.

Our Sales manager has received a reply from his query stating at this time all new lenses are only planned to be produced in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mount.

Kind Regards

So it would seem neither lens will be available.

Last edited by Mike.P; 09-29-2010 at 08:18 AM.
09-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Did I read that correctly. "All new lenses"?
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

Mmmm, that's what I thought but I presume he means from the show.
I have sent another email to clarify.

09-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I sent an email to Sigma UK last week asking if the 120-300mm and 150mm macro were to be released in Pentax mount and was asked to contact them again this week when they would have an answer for me (Photokina was still running at the time and they had no info.)

I sent another email today and this was the reply:

Dear Mike,

Our Sales manager has received a reply from his query stating at this time all new lenses are only planned to be produced in Sigma, Canon and Nikon mount.

Kind Regards

Ricky

So it would seem neither lens will be available.
Well that sucks. Makes me glad that I picked up a 180mm when I could.

It wouldn't seem to make much sense though given that offering the 150mm in Pentax mount would surely be profitable given the lack of any 100mm + macro in the K mount. The 120-300 is a slightly different case I would think.
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote

Dear Mike,

Only have news on the latest releases from Photokina at this time. So just for Photokina releases for now unless we hear otherwise.

Kind Regards

09-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. Phew

Thanks for mailing Mike
09-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Well that sucks. Makes me glad that I picked up a 180mm when I could.

It wouldn't seem to make much sense though given that offering the 150mm in Pentax mount would surely be profitable given the lack of any 100mm + macro in the K mount. The 120-300 is a slightly different case I would think.

Absolutely. At $3000 (street) the 120-300 definitely wouldn't sell well in a k-mount (especially given the excellent performance of the 100-300/4, if you can find one), but at well under a grand, the 150 macro almost certainly would. Sigma's leaving money on the table here. It can't cost much to put a k-mount on the end of an existing lens. The only real considerations have to do with inventory.
09-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

DogLover:

here is a question, does Hoya charge a license fee to make lenses with the k-mount? I know Sigma reverse engineers their in lense firmware so there is no fee on that side of things but the mount could be a way to make it unprofitable for Sigma to produce lenses for Pentax bodies. I don't know and am just asking.

I have read here and there that where once Sigma was not much of a concern for the other brands, given the much improved lenses they have made in recent years they are beginning to compete with the better glass from each brand. So, maybe if there is a license agreement needed from Hoya for the k-mount it's not a blanket agreement but on a lense by lense evaluation and Hoya/Pentax simply make it either too expensive or a flat out no if they feel the lense in question is too competitive with Pentax made options, in this case the 100WR.

BTW, what a shame to get the contradictory information from Sigma directly when the video with a Sigma rep specifically indicates a Pentax mount...sigh.

I did just remember to check another info source here:

Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro - SLRgear.com!

And they are pretty accurate about what is going to be made and good info...and nope no Pentax mount mentioned. so, i guess the search goes on, as does the decision to stay or go.
09-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
DogLover:

here is a question, does Hoya charge a license fee to make lenses with the k-mount? I know Sigma reverse engineers their in lense firmware so there is no fee on that side of things but the mount could be a way to make it unprofitable for Sigma to produce lenses for Pentax bodies. I don't know and am just asking.

I have read here and there that where once Sigma was not much of a concern for the other brands, given the much improved lenses they have made in recent years they are beginning to compete with the better glass from each brand. So, maybe if there is a license agreement needed from Hoya for the k-mount it's not a blanket agreement but on a lense by lense evaluation and Hoya/Pentax simply make it either too expensive or a flat out no if they feel the lense in question is too competitive with Pentax made options, in this case the 100WR.

BTW, what a shame to get the contradictory information from Sigma directly when the video with a Sigma rep specifically indicates a Pentax mount...sigh.

I did just remember to check another info source here:

Sigma Lens: Primes - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro - SLRgear.com!

And they are pretty accurate about what is going to be made and good info...and nope no Pentax mount mentioned. so, i guess the search goes on, as does the decision to stay or go.

Well, I don't know either, but I've always been under the assumption that Sigma reverse-engineered (or just copied) the mount as well. That seems like the easier part to me. But what do I know?

I think this is just market-driven. Another mfg. deciding to concentrate on the higher-volume mounts (plus their own, in this case) until economic conditions improve. Pity. But you raise an interesting scenario with the license being denied for fear of competition with the DFA100.
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
You guys are always bitchin' about wanting long lenses and FF camera's from Pentax, Why don't you take a HONEST Poll and see just how many people can afford one or would buy one. Then you will see why Pentax dosen't make either.
I would totally agree if this thread was about either Pentax making a FF camera or a long tele lens ... but ... it isn't, it's about the latest Sigma lenses that are being made in other mounts.

So therefore can I ask ... WTF are you on about?