Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I would totally agree if this thread was about either Pentax making a FF camera or a long tele lens ... but ... it isn't, it's about the latest Sigma lenses that are being made in other mounts.

So therefore can I ask ... WTF are you on about?
Ha Ha, yeah, I was a little befuddled there myself.

09-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
You guys are always bitchin' about wanting long lenses and FF camera's from Pentax, Why don't you take a HONEST Poll and see just how many people can afford one or would buy one. Then you will see why Pentax dosen't make either.
If the Poll shows up in a Internet search you should get a fair idea one how many would need to be made.
I have a FF pentax K1000 that takes great pictures so I don't need or want a digital one.
As for lenses I'll just wait till a FA 600 shows up and grab it.
DuuuuuDE....I think ya whiffed this one...nobody is complaining here but rather we are yakin' about the wonderful Sigma 150/2.8 MACRO (seriously one of the best macro lenses out there) and the hope, based on the video interview with a Sigma staffer at Photokina that the new 150/2.8 Macro OS(!!) will be made in the P-K mount. But the info back from Sigma via emails as well as elsewhere on the site makes it seem as if the lense is NOT going to be released in a P-K mount after all. And that is a shame for macro shooters.

I enjoy your posts a lot and figure you might have had this thread corn-fuzzled with another thread? Nobody here was complaining at all. I did, however, postulate that maybe one of the reasons 3rd party lense mfg's seem to be building fewer models in a P-K mount could be the mount itself is licensed and either Pentax wants too much of a fee or ??? but it is also one way Hoya can generate more Pentax branded lense sales by decreasing the 3rd party options. And that is just a thought not a fact and no need to get all twitchy over it...still this is a super macro and Pentax macro shooters deserve access to it as an option. There simply is no other macro in it's class and now with OS on the new build it's might be even better.

All that said the new 100WR is also no slouch either, in fact as I mentioned there really are no bad modern 1:1 macro lenses made today. But the 100WR is on par, easily, with the Canon 100/2.8L (also weather sealed something the Sigma is not...)

Interesting to note is the 150/2.8 OS is also apparently not going to be made with a Sony/Minolta mount. That could point to what DogLover mentions about it just being a case of pure economics. If that is the case, as the Pentax brand, hopefully, begins to re-emerge in the market then it is not a difficult thing for Sigma to slap a P-K mount version together because they have the mount already, they have the firmware in other lenses to communicate with Pentax bodies (might need some K-5 tweaks though) and could have P-K mount versions is short order maybe even with an aperture ring if we are lucky but given that HoyaTax has decided to move away from that in the DA line-up then odds are new 3rd party lenses will follow suit to save build overhead.

That is all we are talking about...no complaints so dunna start anything mister!! hehehehe...
09-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Sigma does NOT pay licence fees !!
09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Pentax have a good history of making macro's... So here is an opportunity for them to make a DA* macro in the 150mm to 200mm range.. Without the sales of the lens being cut into from a 3rd party..

10-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
Well, the news is official! All Pentax owners will soon be able to buy a 150mm macro from Sigma!
This comes from the german site:

150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Das beliebte Sigma Makro-Teleobjektiv APO Makro 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM ist nun mit dem SIGMA-eigenen optischen Bildstabilisator ausgestattet, der die Möglichkeiten der Freihandfotografie um bis zu 4 Belichtungsstufen erweitert. Mit SIGMA Code-No. Schutzsystem.

Technische Details

MAKRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Brennweite (mm)
150 mm

Lichtstärke (F)

Kameraanschluss HSM
CA, NA, PA, SA, SO

Objektiveigenschaften
EX, DG, APO, HSM, OS, CONV

Blendenring Nikonanschluss
nein

Hybrid-OS im Sony und Pentaxanschluss
ja

Konvertertauglich
AF/AF (1,4x/2x)

Bildwinkel (diagonal)
16,4°

Optischer Aufbau (Linsen/Gruppen)
19 Linsen in 13 Gruppen

Kleinste Blende (F)

Naheinstellgrenze (cm)
38 cm

Größter Abbildungsmaßstab
1:1

Filterdurchmesser (mm)
72 mm

Abmessungen - AD x Länge (mm)
ca. 79,6 x 150 mm

Gewicht (g)
ca. tbd g

Mitgeliefertes Zubehör
Köcher, Stativschelle (TS-21), LH780-05, Gegenlichtblenden-Adapter (HA780-01), Code-No. Schutzsystem

Optionales Zubehör
UV-Filter, Pol-Filter

Unverbindliche Preisempfehlung (UVP)
tbd,- Euro

Don't forget me Santa Claus!

Last edited by ezechiel; 10-25-2010 at 05:08 AM.
10-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Pentax have a good history of making macro's... So here is an opportunity for them to make a DA* macro in the 150mm to 200mm range.. Without the sales of the lens being cut into from a 3rd party..
I agree with this one, but not with DA..
It should be DFA like the new 100mm macro WR.

I'm asking this for a while yet in the "dear pentax" thread. There is a huge gap in the market!!

But maybe this isn't their priority... Sigma answered before Pentax. A pity, but I won't wait for Pentax to buy a long range macro!!
10-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #37

Request: is it possible to change the title from
"might come" to "will come" ?
10-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #38
Pentaxian

well if they don't release it, then I won't be worried. I already have a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 which is a fill in for my FA*200mm f/4 ED macro which has just come back from repairs.

10-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well if they don't release it, then I won't be worried. I already have a Sigma 180mm f/3.5 which is a fill in for my FA*200mm f/4 ED macro which has just come back from repairs.
I soooo envy those options!! I shot the Sigma 180/3.5 for a long time on my Canon gear but I always wanted to get my hands on the FA*200 macro...never have seen a fugly shot posted from that lense. And the working distance is super.

Something that I read when hunting macro's was a comment about the 180/3.5 as a macro. The author made the comment "....and for those who are deathly afraid of the flowers they shoot we now come to the 180mm macros...." hehehehehe...it was the deathly afraid comment which I still chuckle about.

As to the 150/2.8 in a Pentax mount...I always wanted that lense and had even intended to buy one when I moved to Pentax. That was when I ran into my first dead end when seeking lenses for Pentax from 3rd party mfg's. I had the chance to use one for an afternoon on a 40D and it was hands down the most enjoyable 1:1 macro I ever used. It made me feel as if I was cheating on my 180mm because it was in my bag but might have caught a glimpse me mounting the 150mm...I still feel a bit guilty.
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ezechiel Quote
Well, the news is official! All Pentax owners will soon be able to buy a 150mm macro from Sigma!
This comes from the german site:

150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Das beliebte Sigma Makro-Teleobjektiv APO Makro 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM ist nun mit dem SIGMA-eigenen optischen Bildstabilisator ausgestattet, der die Möglichkeiten der Freihandfotografie um bis zu 4 Belichtungsstufen erweitert. Mit SIGMA Code-No. Schutzsystem.

Technische Details

MAKRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Brennweite (mm)
150 mm

Lichtstärke (F)

Kameraanschluss HSM
CA, NA, PA, SA, SO

Objektiveigenschaften
EX, DG, APO, HSM, OS, CONV

Blendenring Nikonanschluss
nein

Hybrid-OS im Sony und Pentaxanschluss
ja

Konvertertauglich
AF/AF (1,4x/2x)

Bildwinkel (diagonal)
16,4°

Optischer Aufbau (Linsen/Gruppen)
19 Linsen in 13 Gruppen

Kleinste Blende (F)

Naheinstellgrenze (cm)
38 cm

Größter Abbildungsmaßstab
1:1

Filterdurchmesser (mm)
72 mm

Abmessungen - AD x Länge (mm)
ca. 79,6 x 150 mm

Gewicht (g)
ca. tbd g

Mitgeliefertes Zubehör
Köcher, Stativschelle (TS-21), LH780-05, Gegenlichtblenden-Adapter (HA780-01), Code-No. Schutzsystem

Optionales Zubehör
UV-Filter, Pol-Filter

Unverbindliche Preisempfehlung (UVP)
tbd,- Euro

Don't forget me Santa Claus!
crossing my fingers.
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Hmmm, looking on the German site it seems the 120-300mm f2.8 may be coming in Pentax mount as well.
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I borrowed a Sigma 120-400 f4.5-5.6 DG HSM lens 2 days ago and handheld it while shooting it at a bridge construction site. Shot at f5.6 from 120 to 400 and from speeds from 1/500 at the wider end to 1/1600 at the longer end. The majority of all shots were sharp at 1:1 crops. Very impressive but kind of heavy at 3.6 lbs (didn't have my monopod or tripod along) At the long end, appeared to be not quite as sharp at 1:1 and going up one or 2 f stops helped according to later pixel peeping.

120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

The above link shows the new OS version of this lens to be available in Pentax. It doesn't show the op's 120 to 300 f2.8 version to be available in OS, not sure why the conflict with the German site - hope the German site is correct.

With the new faster cameras like K5 and KR coming out, i'm not sure why f4-f5.6 wouldn't be as good a choice over an f2.8 for the future. Unless the f2.8 would have better MTF specs, but the 120-400 has 3 low disperson elements in it. The lens i used was a HSM only, and it seemed fast and precise on my K20 to the extent that i'm considering selling my DA-300 for zoom flexibility. The OS version should be even better handheld.

Last edited by philbaum; 10-25-2010 at 01:02 PM.
10-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Tests show the 100/2.8 Macro WR is better than the Canon

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
All that said the new 100WR is also no slouch either, in fact as I mentioned there really are no bad modern 1:1 macro lenses made today. But the 100WR is on par, easily, with the Canon 100/2.8L (also weather sealed something the Sigma is not...)

"SQF results held on to an Excellent rating all the way to 16x20—better than the Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS, which only held this rating to 11x14. Our DxO 3.2 tests found practically no distortion, nor light falloff, in the normal and macro focusing ranges. Both distortion and vignetting were superb optical performances, nearly perfect. The maximum magnification was larger than lifesize, very similar to the Canon’s, as was the closest focus.

It was a pleasure using this lens: It balanced nicely on many different Pentax cameras, even when extended another two inches into the macro focusing range. And it was also pretty light despite its all-metal construction. Autofocus was quick, but we found ourselves more often in manual focus, since this was smooth as silk.
With its excellent handling and its magnificent optics, this macro lens was made even stronger with the addition of its water-resistant features. Most Pentax users will be snatching it off the shelves.” https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/96946-one-stop...-listings.html
10-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Hmmm, looking on the German site it seems the 120-300mm f2.8 may be coming in Pentax mount as well.
I could sell my house for that lens, assuming it is the same optical quality as the old version.
10-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
I could sell my house for that lens, assuming it is the same optical quality as the old version.
+1 for me too. But ... I know the houseing market is soft, but hope our houses will fetch more $ than that.