Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Adorama was listing the new 150mm for Pentax at one point (pre-order). Sigma has said in the past that the lens would be available in K-mount.

The 1st generation 150mm macro was as an excellent lens. I used in on my E-3 (300mm macro) and it was really impressive.
the 1st 150 seems to have a much better bokeh than the OS. for whatever reason, I dunno. probably due to OS or resolution enhancements done on the new one. personally, with improved HSM, new optical formula , OS, I think the new one is a better deal.

08-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the 1st 150 seems to have a much better bokeh than the OS. for whatever reason, I dunno. probably due to OS or resolution enhancements done on the new one. personally, with improved HSM, new optical formula , OS, I think the new one is a better deal.
The first generation 150mm HSM macro was never available in K-mount, was it?
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The first generation 150mm HSM macro was never available in K-mount, was it?
NO. but it would had been great if they did. eventhough I would have wanted something longer for the K-mount, I'm very happy with what macros I have as of the moment.
08-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma Benelux site states : "The availability for Sony and Pentax mounts follow once they are known. The retail price is € 1.225, -"

08-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A better question to ask would be "Why doesn't Pentax produce a longer focal length macro lens?" After all, the A*200mm and FA*200 are considered amongst the best lenses ever made by any company. This thread shows that people are interested in a longer focal length macro and another recent poll on this forum found that the 100mm macro was the most popular lens in several categories. Add to this the fact that Sigma is abandoning Pentax for the big 3 and it seems like a no-brainer. Sigma is no longer producing 100mm+ macro lenses for Pentax (yes the 105mm is discontinued now just like the fantastic 180mm was) and IF they produce the 105mm or 150mm in K mount they will have OS which we don't need, adds 275g to the weight and roughly doubles the price.

Pentax should see this as an ideal opportunity to capture the market with a superb longer length macro lens. Anybody else want a DA*200mm ED IF f4? How about pushing the envelope past the 1:1 magnification of current macros?

Last edited by Hornet; 08-12-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling, clarity
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #111
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
A better question to ask would be "Why doesn't Pentax produce a longer focal length macro lens?"
Because not many people are asking for one or, more importantly, would buy one. It's a niche product, like longer telephotos. If they'd have a larger marketshare, it would make sense to produce such lenses. As it is, it doesn't.
08-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Because not many people are asking for one or, more importantly, would buy one. It's a niche product, like longer telephotos. If they'd have a larger marketshare, it would make sense to produce such lenses. As it is, it doesn't.
the marketshare for Pentax users are not that significantly high for Pentax or any 3rd party manufacturer to produce such lens. same thing why there are less flash unit and trigger options that are available for Pentax. it's more like saying that Pentax is an partially abandoned system.

08-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #113
Banned

Photos: Albums
it's more like saying that Pentax is an partially abandoned system.
Sadly, that seems to be the case as far as third party manufacturers are concerned:

Cosina doesn't produce lenses for K mount anymore (Zeiss/Voigtlander)
Sigma/Tamron only produce a subset of their models
08-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #114
Pentaxian

It's more like saying that Pentax is an partially abandoned system.
Sigma lens models for K-mount: 37.
(Pentax has only has 26 lens models, not counting any (up to five) FA lenses that may or may not be discontinued.)
Tamron lens models for K-mount: 9.
More produced by Samyang, Cosina, ...

Theses are just the lens models currently in production. There are lot more rather modern lens models that only recently went out of production.

Last edited by Class A; 08-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.
08-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #115
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sigma lens models for K-mount: 37.
(Pentax has less than 30 lens models.)
Tamron lens models for K-mount: 9.
More produced by Tokina, Samyang, ...

Theses are just the lens models currently in production. There are lot more rather modern lens models that only recently went out of production.
Sigma currently has 37 k-mount lenses in production?

Also, Tokina doesn't have any current K-mount lenses. However, Cosina does till have a few and Zeiss does although they have recently pulled the ZK mount.
08-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I don't completely buy this argument because for the past few years, Pentax was either in trouble, then came the take over by the Hoya Boys. Pentax always had specialty lenses in the catalog in the past that were made to order such as the FA 600/4. The Hoya Boys cancelled that one. They couldn't argue that it was warehoused inventory. This is why I keep saying smaller companies need to look at sustainability rather than trying to compete with Canon on mass produced zooms. They can do this with a specialty assembly line as well as another line for "classic" lenses in addition to the usual production lines. If they can sell the DA* 60-250, they could sell a WR version of the FA* 200/4 macro on special order. There marketing people need to get cured of their cranialrectumitis.
08-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Sigma currently has 37 k-mount lenses in production?
According to pentaxforums it has.
Just counted the Pentax models: 26 (not counting any (up to five) FA lenses that may or may not be discontinued).

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Also, Tokina doesn't have any current K-mount lenses.
Sorry, you are right. I thought there were a few left that were available in K-mount but at the moment Tokina just offers a lot of lens models that are available for Pentax in other mounts.

Last edited by Class A; 08-14-2011 at 02:31 PM.
08-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
According to pentaxforums it has.
Just counted the Pentax models: 26 (not counting any (up to five) FA lenses that may or may not be discontinued).

Sorry, you are right. I thought there were a few left that were available in K-mount but at the moment Tokina just offers a lot of lens models that are available for Pentax in other mounts.
Regarding sigma, the PF review section has a few lenses that hasn't gone into production with K-mount such as the 120-300/2.8 and 12-14mm DG HSM. Sigma announced them in K-mount but has since pulled back. Sigma did the same thing with the Sigma 150mm macro. Plus, there are several older designs that Sigma has in stock but will likely be canceled such as the 10-20mm f4-5.6 version. Sigma could offer a lot more than the do, but don't.

Tokina dropped the K-mount following the Hoya take over which is unfortunate.
08-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #119
Veteran Member

aside from that, we didn't have the pleasure of even having the SP version of the Tamron TC, which is reportedly better than the discontinued PZ-AF for Pentax.
08-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Perhaps Sigma is just going slow until they see how Ricoh manages the purchase of Pentax. Sigma did recently put the 8-16 zoom out in K-mount.

Many of the world economies are in a mess at this point, for a lot of folks, cameras are a luxury item unless its a part of your career. Lens sales have got to be down markedly. I'm not surprised that mfrs are cutting back on expenses and product choice.

I'd be very surprised if Nikon and Canon didn't cut back on their product lines in some way to save costs. Of course Sony already eliminated the A850 camera.