Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #76

I do not think this lens will ever be seen with the Pentax mount. I have been watching and waiting for a couple of months now, and last night I noticed that Sigma removed Pentax from the list of mounts available, and most of the websites that had it listed as pre-order have removed it.

It seems to me that Sigma and Tamron both are more interested in selling glass to the people who need built-in stabilization.

Now I do not know which macro to buy...

06-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hudson2212 Quote
It seems to me that Sigma and Tamron both are more interested in selling glass to the people who need built-in stabilization.
Not surprised, IMO there's a lot more margin is OS versions.
Since this is so much of a necessity (for people not smart enough to go Pentax ) <- this is joke.
06-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hudson2212 Quote
I do not think this lens will ever be seen with the Pentax mount. I have been watching and waiting for a couple of months now, and last night I noticed that Sigma removed Pentax from the list of mounts available, and most of the websites that had it listed as pre-order have removed it.

Now I do not know which macro to buy...
that's terrible news for the other 3 systems. once these become available in the market, I'm getting a different body now, definitely.
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #79
Veteran Member

on second thought, this is what I don't understand. if Sigma does indeed target those who needs OS, then why did they release some OS version of their zooms in K-mount? the other thing is, regardless of whether the lens is OS or not, does the market for a long telephoto macro not feasible for the Pentax market? I mean,they already released a 50,70 and 105 macro, So I'm not sure what's stopping Sigma from offering another macro than what they currently offer for Pentax. cost is not even an issue since I'm sure that there is a market in Pentax. there is a market in the 135-150mm range. I hope this is all a misunderstanding, otherwise this would be another booboo on Sigma's part after the SD1.

06-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #80
Veteran Member

I think we're looking at Sigma and Tamron in the wrong way.

i think these 3rd party lens mfr target specific areas, and look at the competition from each other and also from the camera body mfr., to make a profit. Canon and Nikon have more maket share and charge more for their VR lenses, making them lucrative targets. (Which BTW, helps Hoya to make profits on their own lens sales which is not a bad result)

For example, why would Sigma build a Pentax version of the 150mm macro, without WR, to go against a popular Pentax 100 WR macro that isn't priced very high. The amount of sales isn't worth the investment required (i'm guessing)

Why does Tamron continue to build a 28-75 f2.8 zoom? Because the only thing Pentax has that competes is a 17-70 f4 and several primes which not every Pentax owner exclusively wants.

Why does Sigma continue to build long teles for Pentax Mount with HSM? Because Pentax doesn't have any zooms or primes longer than 300mm, and SR is reported to be not as effective for long teles.

Why doesn't Tamron build one of their super-zooms for Pentax mount like the 18-250? Not sure exactly, i used to have that lens and liked it. Today, Pentax has the 18-135 and the 55-300 which covers it in two lenses.

Last edited by philbaum; 06-15-2011 at 10:04 AM.
06-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma Schmigma....

I just can't get behind a company who once TAPED their front elements on...wonder what marvels of technology they have hidden in their NEW lenses...toothpicks glued in for shims?

That and their bs pretentious nomenclature where 'everythings macro' if it focuses down to five feet...I don't care HOW good the image quality is...they're not getting any of MY money, ever. Don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Cheers,
Cameron
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Title edited > WILL. Although reading further I think I'll change it back to might.

06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #83
Site Supporter

The removal of K mount on the Sigma site has happened in the last 2 weeks.

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
. . .

For example, why would Sigma build a Pentax version of the 150mm macro, without WR, to go against a popular Pentax 100 WR macro that isn't priced very high. The amount of sales isn't worth the investment required (i'm guessing)

Why does Tamron continue to build a 28-75 f2.8 zoom? Because the only thing Pentax has that competes is a 17-70 f4 and several primes which not every Pentax owner exclusively wants.

. . .
They obviously developed a Pentax version with WR, built prototypes and promoted it so they already spent money on the r&d.
06-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

this would had been true if this was the Sigma 105. point is, the cheaper Sigma 105, not the Sigma 150 is competing against the 100 WR macro. the 100 and 105 are competing for the same focal length market while Sigma can monopolize the longer tele-macro length. so it doesn't make any sense why offer the 105mm and not the 150mm.
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #85
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
this would had been true if this was the Sigma 105. point is, the cheaper Sigma 105, not the Sigma 150 is competing against the 100 WR macro. the 100 and 105 are competing for the same focal length market while Sigma can monopolize the longer tele-macro length. so it doesn't make any sense why offer the 105mm and not the 150mm.
This development has me considering getting something like the d90 and the Tamron 180mm macro. The problem with that though is body + 180 = an A* or FA* 200mm macro, if one could be found.
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This development has me considering getting something like the d90 and the Tamron 180mm macro. The problem with that though is body + 180 = an A* or FA* 200mm macro, if one could be found.
isn't 150mm enough for you? Yes, a D90 would be a good fast AF camera for macro. the only things that worry me is the absence of AF fine adjust and hot pixels.
06-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
isn't 150mm enough for you? Yes, a D90 would be a good fast AF camera for macro. the only things that worry me is the absence of AF fine adjust and hot pixels.
Yeah, but if they don't make it in Pentax mount, I won't reward them by buying it in another mount after they advertised it etc in K-mount.
06-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Yeah, but if they don't make it in Pentax mount, I won't reward them by buying it in another mount after they advertised it etc in K-mount.
nothing like a Pentax user scorned.
06-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #89
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I don't care HOW good the image quality is...they're not getting any of MY money, ever. Don't trust them as far as I could throw them.
I'm far more inclined to buy lenses from Sigma, who stands behind their glass with a 10 year warranty
over Pentax, who only offers a maximum of two years.

Warranty is an expression of confidence the manufacture has in their products.
06-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #90
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I'm far more inclined to buy lenses from Sigma, who stands behind their glass with a 10 year warranty
over Pentax, who only offers a maximum of two years.

Warranty is an expression of confidence the manufacture has in their products.
Part of that was back when Sigma worked on cleaning up their image. There was a time when they nearly had to pay people to use their stuff.