Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

If Pentax doesnt want him, he should try Olympus. Their sponsored fashion photographers use Hasselblads for their "real work" and they still get the sponsoring.
He could choose any brand to shoot with and just use some PEN on his holiday and all would be OK.

09-24-2010, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not on my dime...

After reading this thread, I am very sad your little 'spat' with Pentax has been allowed to go public (again). I understand your disappointment, but I now better understand why Pentax is NOT willing to give you any gear, or offer a sponsorship. I support their decision.

Your post appears to be an adolescent and spiteful attempt at a shake-down - totally prissy. If the 'other' sponsor candidate gets wind of this unprofessional dump, they may sense similar treatment. If so, kiss your proposal, and perhaps your career, the careers of your support people, and the dreams of those who depend on you... good-by.

It is possible to publish AND perish. These are highly uncertain times. Clients feel it. They are terrified and can be very fickle. Loyalty and being discrete are highly valued personal traits. Being loyal, yes, even loyal to those 'little people' who may slight you is worth tons more than sympathy offered by total strangers in this forum. You may be good, but you are not so good that you can show disrespect towards old and influential friends. You will not get away with it and they will not help you win.

I hope it's not too late, but wake up and screw your head on straight, or soon you will be toast!

Cheers...
09-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax will want to sponsor you if you start doing landscape and nature photography? I can't imagine WR would be of much use on the runway.
09-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
Ben is one of the best advertisements they have. Somebody should be fired at Pentax marketing for letting this opportunity go away.
No kidding, the world is not exactly full of Pentax shooting pros, they should have hopped on this. Could be fun to hand Ben a K-x or K-r and have him do a shoot and then make some ads showing what even the "low end" gear can do.

09-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Your post appears to be an adolescent and spiteful attempt at a shake-down - totally prissy. If the 'other' sponsor candidate gets wind of this unprofessional dump,
? AFAIK, Pentax dumped Ben a while back. Ben has just been using Pentax gear for now because he honestly likes it (how often can you say that of other pros?) without being sponsored (bought the K-x on his own IIRC).

Even back when Ben was sponsored, CaNikon was trying to get him to dump Pentax IIRC.

My comment was actually a suggestion that what Nikon did w/ Chase Jarvis was a *good* thing...i.e., give him a camera before release and put up an actual test on the release date. I suspect the fact that the K-5's firmware has not released 1.0 was one major reason, but the 2nd is whether Pentax marketing even thinks about stuff like this
Using Ben to push the 645D is the logical thing to do if they targeted it at Studio users but they're obviously not because there's no tethering (really...how hard is it to write tethering? Hire me for 3-6 months and I'll write it in my sleep...sheesh)-: Kerrick James is the next logical pro to push the 645D on its release here, but AFAIK, he hasn't been doing this.

p.s., didn't think it was necessary to start another thread on this and loop each thread back to the other
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I guess Pentax thinks that their customers aren't fashion photographers and that they want to market their brand as a weather-proofed outdoors brand.
09-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure there's much more to this than your proposition Shanshinki.

09-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Once again it's my turn to be controversial =) Fyi, I am a professional marketer in a technology sector (not cameras!), and have a 15 year history of web marketing. I give freaking seminars on the subject .

The way it works with the big boys is that marketing is cold, analytical. Source X generates leads Y which results in sales X. I suspect that Benjikan cannot demonstrate this, not can his Pentax account handlers. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. Hence no dice. The flipside: Pentax is a small company and it's not their fault that bigger companies "bribe" the market by offering contracts/sponsorship etc. The real anomoly here is the others that do so and sponsor rather than the smaller company which does not.

Pentax is a small Japan-centric company, owned by another, which is neither competent at the web, not markating, nor PR. I would love to teach them a thing or two because God knows, I could increase their bottom line with my eyes closed. Being small & cr*ppy, this is why I guess they can't afford to sponsor him. I think they sent you a K-X though didn't they?

Anyhow this is no reflection on Benjikan because I LURVVEEEEEE his stuff. A true, talented pro, glamour and fashion, it's where it's at and rock on, this man really rocks. Go and run with one of the other boys, they'll give you what you want.
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Stupid bloody analyzed marketing techniques. Sheesh, when I bought my K100DS back in 2007, it was THIS FORUM and activity by members like Benjamin that convinced me to go the Pentax route- I had used two Canon P&S cameras up until that time, and the old love of 35mm shooting from high school photography class got me!

Marketing is pervasive and highly subjective, specifically in the world we now live in.

I'm constantly on the internet, been so since 1995. As well, because of this activity, my view on products has changed my view on purchasing decisions dramatically, and it's honest end user opinions and voices that I try and focus on most, not on corporate sites or brochures in big box retailer stores. We're all very aware of the push at every level to sell a certain product- if we want the right product for our needs, we are so equipped to find out what that is!

Pros endorsing a product, blogging about it, forum activities, end-users with creds (and that can mean just a great online portfolio in my eyes)- that's powerful marketing. Yeah, it's a bit of a shotgun approach, but the power of this kind of marketing in the internet-enabled media world is subtle, pervasive, and most of all, convincing with it's honesty.

Putting $12,000 (retail) worth of gear in one mans hand who uses it in a way that you can't put in a 4-fold glossy pamphlet- seriously, as another poster said, what kind of cost is that??

Not doing so and having major voices online not promote your equipment (or decide to abandon your product and slag it in some way online, as has happened recently, NOT BY BENJAMIN, not inferring that at all )- that HURTS.
09-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #25
MCR
Inactive Account

I have a better solution. If Pentax doesn't want sponsorig, lets we buy 645 for ben. Maybe when photo-magazines write about this action, some in Pentax marketing will be fired! (Pentax marketing = oxymoron)
Lets admins create account for "645D for BeniKan action" and I can send some euros

Stupid HOYA, stupid Pentax!!!

We can write a open letter to Pentax (Ned Bunnel ?) too. What do you think ?
09-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

the marketing department really need some damn help at Pentax; they are not doing anything right. Hi Pentax, hire me, you might have a big turn around on our beloved brand...
09-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Putting $12,000 (retail) worth of gear in one mans hand who uses it in a way that you can't put in a 4-fold glossy pamphlet- seriously, as another poster said, what kind of cost is that??
Knowing something about the Japanese advertising market, $12k wouldn't buy you a decent add in one of the bridal magazines (for instance). It would maybe buy 1/3 of a one-time event of the sort that could get the press to actually turn up. If you were lucky and someone was interested in your product/business, you might be able to get about six weeks of PR consulting at that price. $12k? Ridiculous.
09-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

In the end sponsorships cost the end users to pay more not like Canon and Nikon would have you believe it's all R&D dollars. If Pentax took that route now, they'll bankrupt themselves into the history books permanently. Perhaps later when their image improves to the newer generation then maybe sponsoship across all genres in the photograhic industry will happen for them.
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

No offense intended at Ben, but looking at PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users it's clear that PENTAX marketing is more focused on branding it as "tough gear" for outdoors. Considering they have a full WR line, that's actually strategic.

Maybe a white or red K-r would be more aligned with Ben's work?

I believe the 645D would be amazing for his work. Maybe they are not ready to giveaway those ones?
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Ben, you know my top Squirrels, Festus and Otis have been long time fans of yours, and are more than a little upset that Pentax has not treated you much better than what they have. Festus has some friends in high places...and Otis has his Squirrel Army.......they vow to see that this is promptly corrected.
Best Regards!