Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax: give Benjikan a K5 and 645D

Seriously, I know he's not "sponsored" any more, but pre-launch, you guys should have done that like Nikon did w/ the D7000 and Chase Jarvis. Looks like Scott Bourne is also testing a Canon body that'll be released on Oct. 3rd as well and he'll be blogging/twittering about it.

Add it to your marketing budget which we all know is tiny, but this is what, $11.5K (or only $1.5K if it's the K5 body)? It creates a lot more buzz if a professional demonstrates how well your gear works on launch day.

Benjikan only gets a "pro" discount...he mentioned it on MM

09-24-2010, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the effort, truly appreciated. Unfortunately, it won't work for Pentax. They refused to offer me the K5. They only offered me a Pro discount.

Best
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 09-24-2010 at 11:36 AM.
09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for the effort, truly appreciated. Unfortunately, it won't work for Pentax. They refused to offer me the K5. They only offered me a Pro discount. However, to be honest with you, I am seeking sponsorship elsewhere.

Best
Ben
You're not jumping ship are you?
09-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Benjamin Kanarek's views on and works with Pentax K20D
were one of the biggest factor me choosing the camera and the brand.

So I second that.

Hear it Pentax. It is not late : )

09-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Ben is one of the best advertisements they have. Somebody should be fired at Pentax marketing for letting this opportunity go away.
09-24-2010, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
You're not jumping ship are you?
To be honest with you, even though I will get the K5, I am in the process of negotiating sponsorship with another brand. Pentax have not been there for me in that; I have done more for Pentax in my milieu than any other Pro has done for them for a very long time. I will stop going out of my way to tell others what gear I use unless asked of course. We shall see what we shall see.

Now, if you can find a Photographer (TODAY that is) using a Pentax and being published in Harper's BAZAAR's around the world as well as VOGUE, I would love to meet him. The 645D may change that all, but until then, I was unique in the use of the K series for exclusive Pro use (Fashion & Beauty).

Pardon, what may seem arrogant, but that is the reality presently. In fact there are 2 major Harper's BAZAAR stories coming out on Sunday shot with Pentax that I will post when out.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115652-my-relationship...ml#post1195739

Last edited by benjikan; 09-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
09-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

Sorry to hear that :-(

As title says- we are very sorry about loosing You... and I guess that Pentax/Hoya will see that this was a wrong idea.
Anyway, good luck with Your superb business and guess what- I personally hope that You will not dismiss this forum and at least share Your wonderful publications (and some PP hints maybe) with Your old Pentax epoque friends?
Best and happy shooting, JR

09-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Agreed, Pentax should give the man both of these bodies and some lenses too.

Pentax is missing out on great marketing; it's EASY it's CHEAP and it's VERY EFFECTIVE.

Benjikan's usage of Pentax also influenced me. Pentax should be thankful.

I know it's easy to blow off endorsements and those who are affected by them. But unless your brand is the #1 Gorilla in the market, it's human nature to want to be reassured that you haven't "Made A Mistake" by buying another, smaller brand. I am always willing to use different tools and think differently than the masses, but it's also good to be in the company of serious pros who think differently too.

Benjikan, if Pentax won't say it, I will: thanks. Your humour and willingness to share are very appreciated around here.
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
As title says- we are very sorry about loosing You... and I guess that Pentax/Hoya will see that this was a wrong idea.
Anyway, good luck with Your superb business and guess what- I personally hope that You will not dismiss this forum and at least share Your wonderful publications (and some PP hints maybe) with Your old Pentax epoque friends?
Best and happy shooting, JR
I am still using Pentax gear presently. If Pentax wish to get back to me with an offer, I am open to the possibilities. Let's see where all of this goes and wait for the dust to settle.
09-24-2010, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
raz

Pentax marketing sucks ass badly.

I really cannot belive they don't take advantage of your skill and position and the fact that you offered yourself on the table for them !!!! This is incredible, they are really stupid.
09-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Imagine what benjikan can do with the K-5 and 645D. Pentax can not be this short sighted. If they follow this board at all, we can start a petition for benjikan here.
09-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

yes, that would be a great idea
the problem is, Pentax sucks at marketing ... it's obvious that the Marketing guys at Pentax should be sacked

it's weird actually, as soon as I think that Pentax did a great thing, they follow it up with a bad one

the good ones:
+ K-x - it really brought a lot of customers into our herd and it was a big step foward as far as ISO perfomance
+ K-7 - many were disappointing with its sensor, but everything else was oh so very good and it created a good buzz in the market
+ colors - although many think this is gimmicky, it sells cameras ... I know a lot of people who would like a pink DSLR
+ 645D - sells like hotcakes
+ WR kit lenses - it differentiates Pentax as a tough, WR DSLR for a good price

the bad ones:
- marketing - come on guys ... you really don't need a lot of cash to have good marketing ... give out a few 645D's or K5's for free to your pro's and get them blogging about it ... twitter, facebook, whatever
- presence - Pentax presence blows. Sure, I understand its delusional to expect to see Pentax DSLRs everywhere (given it's market share), but at least try to put it somewhere... the best thing about a Pentax is its feel.... online shopping lacks that
- dealers - depending on the country you live in, Pentax dealers range from great down to just nuts ... fix that.
- prices - whats with the lens prices? are they ever going to come down? I'm not asking for a miracle here, but Pentax was always about value, but frankly, lens prices are just plain silly ... - 10% ought to do it ... the bodies are steal priced ok
- tethering and DFS .... make it happen!

the jury is still out on 3 things:
* K-r
* K-5
* pro service that should accompany the 645d around the world (if they do this, this should be a great step towards a pro full frame body)
09-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Pentax seems to only be able to keep one stallion in the barn at a time. At present that seems to be Kerrick James. It seems to be an inefficient way to run a top stable.
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Inactive Account

You can't fire pentax marketing

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
Ben is one of the best advertisements they have. Somebody should be fired at Pentax marketing for letting this opportunity go away.
they don't exist
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
whatt??
so they refuse to give you K-5 ...oh come on ... i could not be serious ..right ?
whats wrong with pentax marketing ?