Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I am still using Pentax gear presently. If Pentax wish to get back to me with an offer, I am open to the possibilities. Let's see where all of this goes and wait for the dust to settle.

In my view marketing...effective marketing of a product, is not just running ads on TV and in print media.

Good marketing involves creating a perception among potential customers...that the company, in this case Pentax, make a quality product...which BTW....they do. They just have to get the message out.

To me one of the most effective ways of creating this 'quality' perception is for marketing to do their best, in getting the product in the hands of and used by, professional photographers, particularly those who have a high profile among amateur , advanced photographers.

Many consumers believe that if a pro used a particular camera brand, then that brand must be good...or why else would the pro...whose living depends on top notch equipment...use that particular camera.

Also...we have all seen the amateur photographer who is status conscious and is not content, unless he uses the brand of the professional. These numbers are not insignificant.

We've all seen adverts in magazines where a camera company will focus on the pros who use their equipment. The reason this tack is taken is to get the message across to the customer, that their product should be # 1 in the potential customer's buying priority list.

I think there is an analogy that dates back to the '50's and '60's... Car manufacturers like GM, Ford, Dodge, etc....poured big bucks into supporting NASCAR race teams that ran their model of car. A NASCAR win was and still is...a very big deal among car enthusiasts.

There's an old saying among NASCAR fans, teams and car manufacturers .

"Win on Sunday.....sell on Monday." The saying refers to selling the brand of car whose race replica wins on Sunday.

It must be based on some truth as I notice that Toyota joined the NASCAR fray....a number of years ago.

I think Pentax needs to reconsider their decision about supporting a 'visible' and successful pro photographer.

In the long run what does it cost to provide free equipment to a well established professional....particularly when there aren't many other pro's using Pentax.

The positive associations with this kind of deal are bound to be a win-win situation for Pentax...at less then the cost of an advert or three, in a magazine.

Ben does and has promoted Pentax, as his work brand of choice...for a number of years in a variety of websites. In many ways....promoting a brand through web forums can have more impact then the old way of advertising promotions.

Specialized web forums have a specialized audience...this one and other photography forums cater to amateur photographers.

I think Pentax needs to capitalize on this situation.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.
09-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In my view marketing...effective marketing of a product, is not just running ads on TV and in print media.

Good marketing involves creating a perception among potential customers...that the company, in this case Pentax, make a quality product...which BTW....they do. They just have to get the message out.

To me one of the most effective ways of creating this 'quality' perception is for marketing to do their best, in getting the product in the hands of and used by, professional photographers, particularly those who have a high profile among amateur , advanced photographers.

Many consumers believe that if a pro used a particular camera brand, then that brand must be good...or why else would the pro...whose living depends on top notch equipment...use that particular camera.

Also...we have all seen the amateur photographer who is status conscious and is not content, unless he uses the brand of the professional. These numbers are not insignificant.

We've all seen adverts in magazines where a camera company will focus on the pros who use their equipment. The reason this tack is taken is to get the message across to the customer, that their product should be # 1 in the potential customer's buying priority list.

I think there is an analogy that dates back to the '50's and '60's... Car manufacturers like GM, Ford, Dodge, etc....poured big bucks into supporting NASCAR race teams that ran their model of car. A NASCAR win was and still is...a very big deal among car enthusiasts.

There's an old saying among NASCAR fans, teams and car manufacturers .

"Win on Sunday.....sell on Monday." The saying refers to selling the brand of car whose race replica wins on Sunday.

It must be based on some truth as I notice that Toyota joined the NASCAR fray....a number of years ago.

I think Pentax needs to reconsider their decision about supporting a 'visible' and successful pro photographer.

In the long run what does it cost to provide free equipment to a well established professional....particularly when there aren't many other pro's using Pentax.

The positive associations with this kind of deal are bound to be a win-win situation for Pentax...at less then the cost of an advert or three, in a magazine.

Ben does and has promoted Pentax, as his work brand of choice...for a number of years in a variety of websites. In many ways....promoting a brand through web forums can have more impact then the old way of advertising promotions.

Specialized web forums have a specialized audience...this one and other photography forums cater to amateur photographers.

I think Pentax needs to capitalize on this situation.
+ 1. I do hope Hoya/Pentax get to see the value of endorsements from famous pro photographers like Benjikan. My interest is for Pentax to succeed in the DSLR market which in return would benefit us users who have substantial investments in Pentax lenses and accessories.
09-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe we can show some balls here and force Pentax marketing to do something about this no-strategy-to-promote-our-products strategy.
As a community we could raise some money and buy him at least k-5.

I did not donated yet even to this forum, but i intend to do so in the future, to clarify where i stand. In Romania you get payed in general between 150 euros (minimum) to 400 euros (medium), i stand more on the medium side, but my point is that is not easy to exist here . I would like to donate 10 euros to this fund, if we establish one.

It is a chance to stand up and do some marketing and teach Pentax a lesson. I'm sure we can come up with a good strategy, can be Pentaxians project.

We can even do our own movies to show why we choose Pentax, 100% we can get both good ideas here and the people who can do the movies (a good opportunity for them to show their skills).

This, to be clear, will not be made for Pentax, coming from crazy users, will be made for us, as users who would want to have access to more products and services. In short, we would make an statement "Pentax/Hoya, wake up!".

Maybe this is a crazy idea, but i'm both tired (of reading about marketing failure) and angry because i don't see (by how things are working now) new/better products and services for the future.
09-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #34
1,000,000th Poster!

"No Pro uses Pentax",
"Pentax isn't a Professional camera",

And the most important one:

"I didn't know Pentax was still in business"

We've all seen or heard it. I could list 300 other comments of the sort.

No matter how you cut it, if Pros start using Pentax, it'll be known.

Ibanez made it's name by having a few well known guitarists clearly show their gear. It's the only way to make a name for yourself. When newbies are looking into what camera they should buy, they are influenced by what is being used to make a particular picture they see.

I can imagine it now:
"This picture was done with a K5? Wow, I saw one at the store just yesterday! If it can do this, I want it."

Having Pentax presence in top fashion magazines is huge publicity, in an indirect way. It goes beyond an ad in a camera gear or photo magazine.

Ben, I hope we don't lose you.

09-25-2010, 03:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
"No Pro uses Pentax",

Ibanez made it's name by having a few well known guitarists clearly show their gear. It's the only way to make a name for yourself. When newbies are looking into what camera they should buy, they are influenced by what is being used to make a particular picture they see.

I can imagine it now:
"This picture was done with a K5? Wow, I saw one at the store just yesterday! If it can do this, I want it."

Having Pentax presence in top fashion magazines is huge publicity, in an indirect way. It goes beyond an ad in a camera gear or photo magazine.

2 More Behind the scenes video's coming up Sunday night Paris time using Pentax for two different Harper's BAZAAR shoots. Shot with my trusty old K20D's and filmed with a trusty newish white K-x.

Will be up at benjamin kanarek blog
09-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
I have a better solution. If Pentax doesn't want sponsorig, lets we buy 645 for ben. Maybe when photo-magazines write about this action, some in Pentax marketing will be fired! (Pentax marketing = oxymoron)
Lets admins create account for "645D for BeniKan action" and I can send some euros

Stupid HOYA, stupid Pentax!!!

We can write a open letter to Pentax (Ned Bunnel ?) too. What do you think ?
Great idea, it i no longer the company who decides, but the public. The power of the community...."I am no longer sponsored by Pentax, but by PENTAX FORUMS members..." LOL
09-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Great idea, it i no longer the company who decides, but the public. The power of the community...."I am no longer sponsored by Pentax, but by PENTAX FORUMS members..." LOL
Ben. Just to let you know that I enjoyed your VOUGE-brazil shoot with my favorite author Paulo Coelho. You two have a connection. Its seems that you really had fun taking photos of him. Can't wait to see those shots.....(very nice video)

Also, thanks for uploading your conversation with mr.regen chen (the winner in your photoblog fashion photography contest). I learned alot!!! Im looking forward with your forum...

(sorry if im a bit off the topic)

If you love my post... buy some donuts from ben: https://www.paypal.com/fr/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=oUWiQMhm-VWUmn3An...93e284a5f8a8f8

Last edited by dycz; 09-25-2010 at 07:27 AM.
09-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

You have serve the brand well Ben but I think Lecia beckons your wizardry talents TFS

cheers
09-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
I have a better solution. If Pentax doesn't want sponsorig, lets we buy 645 for ben. Maybe when photo-magazines write about this action, some in Pentax marketing will be fired! (Pentax marketing = oxymoron)
Lets admins create account for "645D for BeniKan action" and I can send some euros

Stupid HOYA, stupid Pentax!!!

We can write a open letter to Pentax (Ned Bunnel ?) too. What do you think ?
Me too, I want a 645D for myself. Would you buy 1 for me too?
09-25-2010, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Sorry but talent aside, I can't see the point of Pentax offering any pro shooter a camera for free if there is no specified contractual obligation or working relationship to do so. If any one photographer is so bestowed with talent, then why even be beholden to any particular company? Besides, if one can shoot for top fashion magazines, picking up a Pentax is small change compared to other brands. Just like nobody owes us a living, Pentax doesn't owe anyone a free camera... Imo Pentax has done enough to offer a "pro" price for the new cameras as a goodwill gesture.
09-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #41
Veteran Member

we should create a group facebook for this..

he is truly awesome artist . and his heart goes with Pentax

just .. can.. understand.. em..
09-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #42
raz

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sorry but talent aside, I can't see the point of Pentax offering any pro shooter a camera for free if there is no specified contractual obligation or working relationship to do so. If any one photographer is so bestowed with talent, then why even be beholden to any particular company? Besides, if one can shoot for top fashion magazines, picking up a Pentax is small change compared to other brands. Just like nobody owes us a living, Pentax doesn't owe anyone a free camera... Imo Pentax has done enough to offer a "pro" price for the new cameras as a goodwill gesture.
I cannot believe your way of thinking, and are more than you. We're talking here about a camera - a fu###g camera that doesn't cost that much and which I'm sure benjikan can afford it without problem. This is not about the camera, this is the attention that Pentax should give to one of the people most supportive of this company, on forums or somewhere else - who is published and is famous in the photographic world.

He's the only one or one of the few who isn't using a Canon or Nikon for hi end professional work but using a Pentax ! And he is proud of it. Nobody here on this forum has probably been published where he is, and nobody has done such quality studio work from what I've seen.

This camera or the cost of it would be very very very very small price for a company like Pentax - and in return they would preserve a man like benjikan into the brand.

We need people like him into our brand, the same way we need Mark Dimalanta or any other photo-"stars" This way when somebody with a canikon will say our cameras, lenses or af sucks for Pro Work (happened to me numerous times) - we could redirected to Chasing Light... or http://www.benjaminkanarek.com/ and they will be blow away of what these people can do as PROs with a Pentax.
09-25-2010, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raz Quote
I cannot believe your way of thinking, and are more than you. We're talking here about a camera - a fu###g camera that doesn't cost that much and which I'm sure benjikan can afford it without problem. This is not about the camera, this is the attention that Pentax should give to one of the people most supportive of this company, on forums or somewhere else - who is published and is famous in the photographic world.

He's the only one or one of the few who isn't using a Canon or Nikon for hi end professional work but using a Pentax ! And he is proud of it. Nobody here on this forum has probably been published where he is, and nobody has done such quality studio work from what I've seen.

This camera or the cost of it would be very very very very small price for a company like Pentax - and in return they would preserve a man like benjikan into the brand.

We need people like him into our brand, the same way we need Mark Dimalanta or any other photo-"stars" This way when somebody with a canikon will say our cameras, lenses or af sucks for Pro Work (happened to me numerous times) - we could redirected to Chasing Light... or http://www.benjaminkanarek.com/ and they will be blow away of what these people can do as PROs with a Pentax.
Actually I agree with what creampuff said. What I cannot believe is how some people felt others owned them something because of their own accomplishment. Surely Ben is an accomplished photographer that Pentax should take advantage of through sponsorship, but it is up to Pentax. Sponsorship is an offer, not a given. I did not want to say this, but Ben almost sounded like Pentax owned him one because of his personal achievement in fashion photography. The way that some people think these days is amazing. Why would anybody think others own them anything out of nothing? Self-importance runs high? Did Canon or others sponsored Ben? Why did they pull the plug? What went wrong? Why would a high profile working pro even moan over small investment like cameras and lenses? There are so many details we do not know.
09-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
"No Pro uses Pentax",

I can imagine it now:

Everything you've said is very true. Pentax, more than any other of the major DLSR companies right now, is struggling to prove that is indeed capable of being a pro grade manufacturer. That only happens one way. Having successful pros use the brand. Specs don't even matter that much. Even if they release a FF body tomorrow that rivaled the D3s, and not a single pro used it, people still wouldn't trust it or buy. People come to trust gear based on the people that use it, and the results that they see coming from. every other major industry has this figured out, and most of the brands within this industry. When Michael Jordan endorses a basketball shoe, the fact that he's endorsing it does change how good the the shoe is or isn't one bit. But it drastically changes everyone's perception of how good that shoe is.

You're exactly right about Ibanez, too. For the longest time, no one took them seriously as a brand, and everyone just thought they were beginner guitars, or cheap guitars. Then they started getting guys like Steve Vai and John Petrucci on board. Then all of the sudden people took a second look at them, and started thinking, if it's good enough for Vai, it's good enough for me.

And it's also a self perpetuating loop. One top quality pros start coming on board, you get the positive feedback loop, and the snowball starts growing. Not only are the products taken more seriously, but they are now also getting R&D feedback from said top quality pros. Then the product is not only perceived to be better, but startss becoming better. The same thing happened with Ibanez. The guitars got a lot better when they brought on lots of great players, and started listening to what they said.

You know Nikon has Chase Jarvis, Joe McNally and a whole slew of other pros giving feedback and advice on product design and development. Pentax needs to develop it's pro community, and then listen to it.

But on the other hand, don't be so hard on Pentax Marketing. I know from talking with them how ridiculously handcuffed they are by Japan. They're pretty much not allowed to do anything that they can't justify on paper with trackable numbers.
09-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Now, if you can find a Photographer (TODAY that is) using a Pentax and being published in Harper's BAZAAR's around the world as well as VOGUE, I would love to meet him. The 645D may change that all, but until then, I was unique in the use of the K series for exclusive Pro use (Fashion & Beauty).
Ben, if the 645D gets a foothold into the Fashion Photography arena, you may well find Pentax sponsoring folks like yourself again. For now however, the Kerrik James types have it all as they are outdoor/nature photographers and that is more the market Pentax targets. Kerric James is sponsord by Pentax and does some very good work that is widely published, though not in Harper's etc..