Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I find most troubling in this thread, in relationship to Ben and Pentax's failure to take advantage of an obvious Marketing Tool, is that it is typical of their thinking. They do not seem to realize that they are in a fight for their lives where every opportunity should be exploited to their advantage. Year after year we hear the same questions over and over...."Is Pentax going to make it?" You never hear that with Nikon or Canon....they may complain, but their shooters have confidence they will still be in the game next year. At some point, many Pentax shooters must get tired of investing in Pentax gear and wondering about the future and the intelligence of making such investments and they just bail out and move over to another brand. We see it all too often. FF is another area where Pentax has failed to give any hope to those that are waiting. Maybe they will never go FF? But...if it is in their plans, they need to give some hope to those waiting before they too bail out.....as many have already done.

I realize that this is a big world, but tiny in terms of Marketing. If it is popular in America, it is most likely known throughout the world. Think Coca-Cola......you can get one anywhere. But if I will give you $10 for gas every time you can spot a Pentax camera in a retail outlet in America, and you start your trip in New York and head to Los Angeles, you will never make it to Kansas. I live near a tiny Metroplex of over 8 Million people....apparently too small for Pentax, because after a year in production, you will never have found a K7 anywhere here to hold and examine. You will never compete without competing, it just doesn't happen. No NFL team has ever won a game by failing to be there at kickoff, and Pentax doesn't seem to"get it".
For me, I love my Pentax, but....I am soon to buy a new Sigma HSM OS 70-200....and my question is, what mount will I buy it in?
Best Regards

09-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dycz Quote
Ben. Just to let you know that I enjoyed your VOUGE-brazil shoot with my favorite author Paulo Coelho. You two have a connection. Its seems that you really had fun taking photos of him. Can't wait to see those shots.....(very nice video)

Also, thanks for uploading your conversation with mr.regen chen (the winner in your photoblog fashion photography contest). I learned alot!!! Im looking forward with your forum...

(sorry if im a bit off the topic)

If you love my post... buy some donuts from ben: https://www.paypal.com/fr/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=oUWiQMhm-VWUmn3An...93e284a5f8a8f8
I posted the shots of Paulo Coelho on the blog at the same location as the Video:

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

Here is a sample from that shoot for RG VOGUE.
Attached Images

09-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Ben, if the 645D gets a foothold into the Fashion Photography arena, you may well find Pentax sponsoring folks like yourself again. For now however, the Kerrik James types have it all as they are outdoor/nature photographers and that is more the market Pentax targets. Kerric James is sponsord by Pentax and does some very good work that is widely published, though not in Harper's etc..
Kerric is a VERY FINE Photographer indeed. I really appreciate his work. It is a good thing for Pentax that Kerric endorses them...
09-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #49

I think Bens problem is not that Kerric is sponsered, and he isn't...

I think that this would just give you a another way to see things "hey you can shoot fashion with non MF, wow"

Sorry but when Pentax tries to estabilish itself as stylish, ruggedized,durable, "outdoor" then there are other things to do, maybe GPS ? the wildernis dont have many streetsigns, well didnt found much
What about something beyond 300mm weathersealed?
What about ab "super silent" mode?
What about more capacity(dual SD maybe)
What about a sealed flash?
What about a sealed macro flash?
What about and unterwater case?

And last but not least, what the fu**** H**should a 645D do in the wild? The shutter noise is cool, but well, lets say, not something to call "super silent", the the bam iso of 1600? in die wild, mmh maybe more is better, dont get me wrong i know its not the main target of the 645D but, well , i think, something with people in expensive clothes are, mmh how are they called ? AHH fashion

Sorry but atm i think Pentax was just too slow with the K-5, and i truly hope that they dont hast to much a throw a half done product in die market.
All this mistakes in Datasheets and this (maybe) prefinal Bodies at PK.....

Well i like the K5, but we have to see what will happen :S

09-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Ben, I have to say, your following in eastern Europe is ROCK SOLID. But frankly I think it's irresponsible to encourage people to buy you a camera when Pentax won't.

As a measure of Pentax's intent, it's probably worth noting that they may be discontinuing the FA Limited line (see Falk's thread) and are moving in the hello-kitty direction on the whole.... Possibly not the time when a fashion photog of your standing wants to be associated with the brand?
09-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Ben, I have to say, your following in eastern Europe is ROCK SOLID. But frankly I think it's irresponsible to encourage people to buy you a camera when Pentax won't.

As a measure of Pentax's intent, it's probably worth noting that they may be discontinuing the FA Limited line (see Falk's thread) and are moving in the hello-kitty direction on the whole.... Possibly not the time when a fashion photog of your standing wants to be associated with the brand?
LOL...I would never expect nor accept an offer by Pentax forum members. I am quite capable of purchasing the tool that I require to get the job done. I do however really appreciate the support, whether from Eastern Europe, South East Asia or Lansing, Michigan.
09-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
LOL...I would never expect nor accept an offer by Pentax forum members. I am quite capable of purchasing the tool that I require to get the job done. I do however really appreciate the support, whether from Eastern Europe, South East Asia or Lansing, Michigan.
8^)

As ever, we live in interesting times. Let us know how the negotiations turn out.

09-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
What about and unterwater case?
Chasing Light...: On the Eve of the Pentax K5 -What makes this surf photographer so happy?
SPL Water Housings - Custom crafting splash housings since 1996 - SPLwaterhousings.com

Pentax collaborated with that company and user to get a case made for the K-7 and K-5. I think that's enough as it's probably a really small market accessory.
09-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #54

Well i think there are other housings made by ewa marine, so there are some, but maybe when Pentax goes this Road they should try one with their own name on it
And when SPL is supported by Pentax to create a hosing for the "loyal" customers(quoted from the homepage), then why are there no hinds on the Pentax Homepage etc?

"Corporates with SPL for splash housings"

So that people see that when they try to inform on the kameras on the Webpage

But the other points may count ?

Last edited by Mehlsack; 09-26-2010 at 04:00 AM.
09-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've said it from the first time I saw the Nikon D7000 announced....Having Chase Jarvis use the camera in the field with his mass following will sell thousands of cameras for Nikon. Pentax fails to do the same. I was jumping up and down with excitement when I first saw that Ben was using Pentax on a major fashion shoot. Actually bought the 40mm f/2.8 as a result of seeing him use it on a shoot. Was really wild seeing a K20D with the little pancake lens attached on a major shoot. And I must have told 100 people at least about buying it for that reason and hundreds more about a Vogue photographer that uses Pentax. that kind of word of mouth is INVALUABLE but Pentax doesn't seem to realize it.
09-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Kerric is a VERY FINE Photographer indeed. I really appreciate his work. It is a good thing for Pentax that Kerric endorses them...
He holds workshops for them and also does some spokesperson stuff as well.
09-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #57
Veteran Member

And last but not least, what the fu**** H**should a 645D do in the wild? The shutter noise is cool, but well, lets say, not something to call "super silent", the the bam iso of 1600? in die wild, mmh maybe more is better, dont get me wrong i know its not the main target of the 645D but, well , i think, something with people in expensive clothes are, mmh how are they called ? AHH fashion:
Outdoor photography is not just about the kind of work Franz Lanting does, certainly your concerns would be valid in that arena. However there are many out door photographers that used the Pentax 645 before the move to digital, Daryl Benson and Tim Fitzharris come instantly to mind, but moved to other brands in their swithch to digital. Likely still have all those 645 lenses and now have a body on which to use them.

While the 645D is usable for fashion, wedding photgrapy as well, the original 645 made it's name as a field camera and that is where I think Pentax are aiming the 645D, but there are other brands better established in the fashion/wedding market.
09-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #58

Well, i think you may be right, but today with all the possibilities of APS-C it is not as important as it has been.

And i cant remember to read anything about a WR 645D

And even with this there are other possible problems.

Dont get me wrong i think Pentax is moving into WR/Outdoor/Wildlife, but i think they should try to focus this niche a bit more
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #59
Pentaxian

And i cant remember to read anything about a WR 645D
you missed that it's WR? (the new 55mm as well)
Check out this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115796-645d-field-video-review.html
09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #60
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I really don't have a clue as to the direction Pentax is headed, and I don't see a soul that does know. They are as about as disorganized as you can get and still be in business, and communication with their users is close to non-existent. They claim to be going the "rugged" approach, yet have very little in the way of accessories to match their bodies......and few shoot wildlife with short tele lenses......I guess I can shoot Squirrels with an 18-55, but my Squirrels are not the Wild Beasts they think they are.....

I think Pentax is indeed going toward the HelloKitty market and away from serious shooters. When Hoya first took over this was hinted, if anyone was listening? We see that with the Kx and all the colors....which we chose to see as an asset to their bottom line and a benefit to higher end cameras....but it is entirely possible that it is more the direction they intend to go in the future? Just guessing, but my guess is as good as yours with Hoya........seems they don't even know what they are doing?
Regards!