Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for the effort, truly appreciated. Unfortunately, it won't work for Pentax. They refused to offer me the K5. They only offered me a Pro discount.

Best
Ben
HUH! are they that stupid not to offer a well known pro a freebie, especially one who would show off the gear! Everyone knows canikon gives lots of freebie give away bodies to pros just for the free publicity.

09-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I really don't have a clue as to the direction Pentax is headed

I think Pentax is indeed going toward the HelloKitty market and away from serious shooters.
I think pentax has always tried to appeal to casual shooters:

That girl is exactly who they are targeting for the K-x and K-r (in colors).

That being said, I think Pentax has targeted outdoors (WR) for just as long.

Pentax LX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
HUH! are they that stupid not to offer a well known pro a freebie, especially one who would show off the gear! Everyone knows canikon gives lots of freebie give away bodies to pros just for the free publicity.
Really? I have dealt with quite a number of working pros where I am and not all of them gets freebies. That's more myth than reality. The truth is there is no free lunch.
09-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I don't see that. I think they do know where they are going. It's just maybe not where we think they should be going and how fast. I do think Pentax is trying to work both ends of the market. They want to eventually appeal to everyone from soccer moms to pros but they can't do it all at once, and let's face it the pros are not driving the explosion of the DSLR market.

Under $1000 DSLR's are the ones selling. Normal people are buying more of them than the pros and it's those same "normal" people who are also standing in line buying candy colored cell phones and mp3 players. Flagship camera or not their real bottom line isn't the people buying the K-7/K-5. It's the people buying the cute K-x/K-r that will be keeping them solvent and fully capable of making more advanced cameras for those who truly need them. Without the low end DSLR's there would be no Pentax.

It's the same for Canon I would imagine. The more entry level Rebels they sell the more advanced stuff they can offer to the pros. Nikon, their market is much more geared towards pros, but I'd still bet all those basic Nikon DSLR's they're selling from places like Walmart are impacting their sales figures in a very significant way.

The bottom end of the market is growing all over the place. The pro market, probably not so much. They have to care about all those people with their affection for the i-phones, i-pods and such. Probably for every higher end camera they actually sell they likely sell 10 of the basic ones.

If coloring them like a bunch of crayons sells more? Leads to more sales, to Pentax continuing to make cameras for everyone including the pros? Then who cares if they make a few low end cameras that look silly to the average pro? It worked for Apple, all those bright colored computers, mp3 players, and cells. Brought that company pretty much back from the dead into being a top company again. I'd gladly have Pentax make see through cameras that looked like kid's jelly shoes so long as it enabled them to stay in business and make more cameras like the K-7.

Last edited by magkelly; 09-26-2010 at 08:20 PM.
09-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Really? I have dealt with quite a number of working pros where I am and not all of them gets freebies. That's more myth than reality. The truth is there is no free lunch.
It depends, here as small as we are on the map I know one newspaper sports shooter who gets the latest nikon anything to play with, the idea is to get the newspaper he works for to buy more. He was playing with the Nikon 200-400 when it was still a rumor. Now he does have to give some of it back but you get the idea.

Now in Benjikans case Pentax could at least use him to test out their cameras, loan him a 645D to shoot another cover, that's alot of good free publicity.
09-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Must admit that it seems like a small cost to Pentax in order to have them represented professionally in magazines like Harpers Bazaar.

bazz.
09-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Nero had a better marketing department than Pentax does... Why is it surprising that they choose to ignore and alienate a working Pro of Ben's caliber?

SAD!!!

09-27-2010, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Outdoor photography is not just about the kind of work Franz Lanting does, certainly your concerns would be valid in that arena. However there are many out door photographers that used the Pentax 645 before the move to digital, Daryl Benson and Tim Fitzharris come instantly to mind, but moved to other brands in their swithch to digital. Likely still have all those 645 lenses and now have a body on which to use them.

While the 645D is usable for fashion, wedding photgrapy as well, the original 645 made it's name as a field camera and that is where I think Pentax are aiming the 645D, but there are other brands better established in the fashion/wedding market.
The 645D has always been purely intended to a field camera from day 1. Any other areas where it catches on will be nice, but it's focus and how it will be marketed are for outdoor nature/landscape shooting. People who are pro landscape shooters, that frequently make large prints and want something rugged and weatherproof for the field will go bonkers over this thing.
09-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nero had a better marketing department than Pentax does... Why is it surprising that they choose to ignore and alienate a working Pro of Ben's caliber?

SAD!!!
"NERO had a better Marketing Department..." LMAO!!!!!
09-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #70
Veteran Member

What's the wholesale cost of a K5, maybe $600...

Pentax, fire your marketing staff, and now!!!!!!!!!!

Kerrick James is fine, but benjikan is incredibly creative in a whole diffferent venue. I've really enjoyed his many posts on pentax forums. I just can't believe Pentax would do this - why???????????
09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Pentax, fire your marketing staff, and now!!!!!!!!!!

Kerrick James is fine, but benjikan is incredibly creative in a whole diffferent venue. I've really enjoyed his many posts on pentax forums. I just can't believe Pentax would do this - why???????????
Don't worry about it, the K20D has an excellent sensor and especially at 100 iso. Gets the job done... Did these with the DA*16-50 f2.8 (with the new replaced by Pentax AF motor) and my Favorite DA 12-24 f4.0 lens.
Attached Images

09-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Last 2

Here are the last 2
Attached Images

09-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #73
Site Supporter

"NERO had a better Marketing Department..." LMAO!!!!!
yeah, but his undoing was fiddling while Rome burned. Violin
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Don't worry about it, the K20D has an excellent sensor and especially at 100 iso. Gets the job done... Did these with the DA*16-50 f2.8 (with the new replaced by Pentax AF motor) and my Favorite DA 12-24 f4.0 lens.
Wow, your images are a lot of fun to look at, stunners. Especially like the one with the kangaroo and the coffee pot on the fire. Has an Alice in Wonderland feel to it. second favorite was the gal sitting next to a stack of books.
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #75
Veteran Member

I admire Benjamin's work and his talent and creativity. I seriously think that he is a real artist.
But Pentax probably doesn't want to show that professionals are using their cameras. They are very amateur oriented brand.
Even 645D is designed as a hobbyist camera (but expensive).