Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Warning: Random long-winded post approaching...
I didn't feel any wind, nor do I think it was particularly long... (you haven't been subjected to my musings yet. )

09-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Am I the only one that has noticed that the site (pentaxian.com) tends to eat browsers? After a few minutes on the site Internet Explorer was up to 70% of the processor and soon went to 90%. I had to kill that IE window to free things up and let me browse other sites. Is anyone on here a web wizard who can check it out and let Pentax know if it's really a problem?

Mike
09-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah, it happened to me on 2 desktop (Quo computer!) and laptop.
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=mattdm;92792]
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Oh come on. Must everything be a fight?

Meanwhile, the JPEG tests came out behind. (And note, by the way, that the review clearly notes that it's not a matter of in-camera settings -- changing those doesn't affect the specific complaint)

despite the general consensus of highly active forum posters that RAW is the only one true way, JPEG is and important factor because many real photographers rely on it.
So, since the new Pentax DSLR above the K10D, and also whatever the K10D replacement is going to be won't be introduced until next year - months away from now, will Pentax be providing current K10D owners, and future purchasers with improved jpg algorithms in firmware that they had months to develop? Plus, any IQ improvements by firmware considering the time Pentax has had so far to research & learn how to write better algorithms.

Possibly also other functionality improvements like designing a menu interface for resettable access to the internal autofocus adjustment with memory for a certain number of lenses? Barely any memory would be used, and it is a completely software controlled feature implementable by firmware, that Nikon D300 & Canon D40 already offer their buyers without hesitation.

09-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Oh man have they made a big mistake....
In the list of "clubhouse message boards" they left out "PentaxForums" and included "DPReview" at the top of the list. Don't they realize how hostile DPReview is to Pentax in general and how crappy the people over there treat each other...
We all need to send them e-mails to correct this situation (I have to wait till I get home though).
...by your command...

e-mail read:
QuoteQuote:
Seriously? DPReview.com is listed under Pentax Community Clubhouse Message boards, but pentaxforums.com is not? That is extremely 'odd' and I implore you to correct that.

All the best,
-steve
09-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #21
Inactive Account

The site is great! Utilizing the latest in Adobe Flash programming.
Get up to date IE 7 Flash 9 and high speed.
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Am I the only one that has noticed that the site (pentaxian.com) tends to eat browsers? After a few minutes on the site Internet Explorer was up to 70% of the processor and soon went to 90%. I had to kill that IE window to free things up and let me browse other sites. Is anyone on here a web wizard who can check it out and let Pentax know if it's really a problem?

Mike
Haha, Pentaxian.com is definately NOT net/user friendly. It seems to take progressively longer to load with each item viewed. So far, I've seen one Pentaxian profile, went to check out the community section and its been like 5 minutes and its still "loading..." Way too slow here.

PentaxForums.com FTW!

09-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Inactive Account

The entire site is done with Flash animation. I didn't notice any problem with my set-up (Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6). But IMHO, it is a lousy way to program a Web site. The Flash plug-in causes the sort of problems you noted (excessive CPU consumption, browser hangs and poor performance). Plus Flash is not compatible with many systems and is not written to open standards. Even the Pentax primary Web sites are contaminated with Flash menus. Ughh.
09-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Flash Player & JavaScript Error Message

Well, I can't get the web page to work at all with my copy of IE7 (WinXP). All I get is a red page with a few non-working links and the following message.... "Flash Player version 9.0 or higher ( get it here ) and a JavaScript enabled browser are required to view this site."

Of course, I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't already have both installed and enabled. However, I believe both are and the Adobe test site shows at least Flash Player (version 9.0.28.0) is working properly.

So, any suggestions or guidence is truly appreciated.

Never mind! Installing the very latest version (9.0.47.0) solved the problem.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 09-07-2007 at 04:39 AM.
09-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The site is a bit of a memory hog and has hung up once for me as well but not too bad overall. I'd encourage everyone to write them and have PentaxForums added to the message boards. Lets swamp them with short emails till the site is posted. The email address is:

pentaxian@pentax.com

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-07-2007 at 07:57 AM.
09-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Maybe you should post this to the most visited forum.
09-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #27

Stewart, for whatever reason, I had to re-install Flash Player 9 for MAC OS X in order for the site to work......
09-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yes the site is too problematic for older browsers. Even IE had some teething pains with it until I rebooted to fully invoke my new flash install. Older Netscape 7.2 want nothing to do w/ the site alltogether. Personally think it is a big mistake to program for the "latest and greatest" at the expense of older browsers. Good websites should funtion on all browsers (at least those capable of the same functionality. Steves forums is another bee in my bonnet. Have to go to IE if I want to post a "complex" reply... drives me crazy...
Posted my minor rant and findings at dpreview:
Re: need to read Japanese: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The way Pentaxian.com is designed puzzles even me- I have all the latest versions of IE and Flash, yet I still can't really access any part of the site. Maybe it just isn't finished?

In any case, I've copied Peter's post into the suggestions forum. Thanks for the enthusiasm for PentaxForums.com!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The way Pentaxian.com is designed puzzles even me- I have all the latest versions of IE and Flash, yet I still can't really access any part of the site. Maybe it just isn't finished?
why use IE? Firefox FTW. That comes in part because I'm a web designer and IE is a pain in the a** to code for but still. FF is faster too. pentaxian.com works perfect on it