Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geko5766 Quote
Hello all,

I donīt want to be the party-pooper. But I think it is impertinent to publish these photos here.

All members of the Pentax staff kindly had asked, not to temper with the SD-Cards and that there should no photo be published, as the firmware is not yet finished. It was explicitely forbidden to use ones own Card!

Georg
Officially you are correct ofcourse but if one SD card door was not properly glued shut for the whole of photokina, I have some doubts. Ofcourse they could not allow you to take pics home and distribute as it is not yet firmware 1.0 but more than likely they wanted to get the word about this ISO performance around. I thnk a deliberate attempt to create leaks....

09-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #77
Pentaxian

@ Moderator:

You should delete the pictures, as they are not obtained legally or better said : against explicit directive!

@all
As for the pictures of the 645D it was explicit allowed to shot photos, even publish them, if wanted, as the camera is officially available! They are really great.

So please: Let us be fair and wait until the first pictures with the final firmware will be available.

Best Regards from Trier, Germany

Georg
Hi George,

I asked at the boot to enter my own card into the 645D. That was okay, but we had to change the camera's since only the one I handled was running on Firmware 1.00 so it was a productionmodel the same as to be sold at the moment. As you can see in my pictures it runs on full version firmware. It's brand new because shuttercount was under 800 at the the I handled it.

Greetings Ron.
09-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #78
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Ron,
hello all,

this remark was not against you. To make myself clearer: You are absolutely right. I too asked, if I may take shots with the 645D, maybe post them in an forum. That question was answered with a clear YES, as it is officially available. So no offend from my part here at all!!

But I am really annoyed, that one does not follow some others request, which was made clear by all Pentax-Staff Members in a kind but distinct way: Pls no photos for the web, as the FW is not final !!

@ jannemann:
One of the crew members told me the complete story concerning this matter: ALL camereas were glued. But al least one was broken up. I can really understand, that one is pissed-off then!
BTW, having the opportunity to do something wrong, is not excuse for doing it wrong then. A NO is a NO and not : Okay, I can do it anyway, so I do it!

I think patience is a virtue here. We all will be informed in time and I feel much better as an honest PENTAXIAN, than as an "Leaking-guerrilla".

Best to all
GEorg
09-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Officially you are correct ofcourse but if one SD card door was not properly glued shut for the whole of photokina, I have some doubts. Ofcourse they could not allow you to take pics home and distribute as it is not yet firmware 1.0 but more than likely they wanted to get the word about this ISO performance around. I thnk a deliberate attempt to create leaks....
Hihihi...yes, there is such a thing as a "deliberate oversight".. .it could well be the case here.

Strategic leaks are a tried and true marketing technique, especially if you know you have something good to leak out.

09-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Hihihi...yes, there is such a thing as a "deliberate oversight".. .it could well be the case here.

Strategic leaks are a tried and true marketing technique, especially if you know you have something good to leak out.
especially as high ISO appears to be THE K-5 thing
09-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
The K5 hi iso is actually quite decent, it's not going to make me give up a 5d MkII just yet but it does make me look at the K5 as a reasonable back up or even rough and rugged carry anywhere body.
Get K-5 and start using it, and you might find yourself recanting on that second statement. Being used to the ergonomics, size and weight of my K-7, and picking up my friend's MkII, it always feels like holding on a brick. I think the ergonomics are horrible on the MkII. I always feel like I'm going drop it. With the K-7, I can all but relax my hand completely, and the camera stay in. MkII, not so much. And then there's the fact that the K-7 is way smaller, much lighter, more rugged and wayyy more weatherproof. Hte K-7 even consistently puts out sharper images with better colors. The only thing I've ever envied about my friend's MkII were the high ISO results, which now with the K-5, isn't an issue anymore.
09-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
So this is equal iso 204800? Iso 51k pushed 2 stops.
That is correct; and makes my head explode...
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Many thanks to FS999 for giving us all something to drool on this weekend. Compared to my K20D it looks as if my wildlife shots can gain TWO STOPS with the K-5 for similar IQ. I am looking at the iso3200 compared to my iso800. OMG, that means those active critters I am suffering at 1/400s on cloudy days and teleconverters may now be a sharp 1/1600s if needed. Oh yes!
QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald Quote
Wow, thanks so much fs999!

Judging from these in-camera JPGs, it looks like I could easily use ISO1600 in place of ISO800 on my K20D, and maybe even ISO2000!

But even more important, the lower ISO's should also show improvements. Very exciting!!
imtheguy - I used to think, like you, that the K-5 had a 2 stop advantage over the K20/7, but the more I see these samples coming out, I'm beginning to think that it's easily a 3 stop advantage.

photogerald - I think it's more like you could use iso6400 in the place of 1600 from you K20d.

09-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You should delete the pictures, as they are not obtained legally or better said : against explicit directive!

@fs999

Du solls dech mol eppes schumen! Du keins jo mol eng keier op daat lauschteren, waat aanerer dir firgeschriwen hun!
1. There was no explicit directive. I didn't break the door.
2. I don't have to be ashamed. I received no instructions. The next time, write it in English so that everybody understands...
3. If Pentax asks me to remove the photos, I would do it.
4. I am an honest Pentaxian.
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
2. I don't have to be ashamed. I received no instructions. The next time, write it in English so that everybody understands...
you should not worry. this is done all the time. you were not under some kind of nda and you didn't break anything. in addition, you're helping the buzz in the k5's favor and i think it highly unlikely that pentax is going to go against its own interest by trying to clamp down on you. thanks for posting!
09-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Hey fs999

You have my full support for posting the pics. You've done nothing wrong. Keep smiling and ignore the negativity. Your pics have helped myself and probably many others to decide to buy a K-5

Cheers!!

Smeggy
09-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #87
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Frederic,

I used the Luxemburgish, just to say this in a more private matter.

I visited the Pentax booth three times that day.Each time I was there, to get another look on the new k5 (had to thing about a few questions and returned twice) there was somebody asking, not to tamper with the the SD card.

If no one has given you that advise, I do express my dearest apologies, although I myself got these directives rather direct and clear. Nervertheless I do understand the wish of Pentax, that no pictures shall be dispatched.

Furthermore I would like to stress, that I did not meant to bash you on a personal basis per se, I just do not like, if rules are broken. So please understand that I was upset about that.

If you think, that a further clarification and/or excuse is appropriate I would like to invite you to do this with a mutual posting via pn. So this matter is settled for me, as long you can understand my point of view.

Kind regards
Georg
09-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No problem Georg. I can understand your point of view.

I also returned twice and I only noticed than that the two other cameras were glued. I thought it was to protect the SD cards, because the last time I went back, I noticed the SD card had disappeared...

Have a nice day.
Frederic
09-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Dear Georg,

Human rules are meant to be broken.

Octav
09-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #90

Lack of money is pushing me out of the photography game and all my kit is up for sale; I always assumed I'd be back in a couple of years time and when I came back it would be to a FF set up, probably Nikon as I hate Canon ergonomics - these pictures are seriously making me consider hanging on to my DA* star lenses!

(too bad I just sold my 50mm f/1.4! Aargh!)