Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:20 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you !

The AF is very impressive also with SDM !
The trigger makes less noise than K-7 !
7 i/s is very fast !
Most other features are the same as the K-7...
Nice, did you have a chance to play with video?

How much faster than K-7 do you think?

09-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #62
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Missed the window of opprtunity i guess..
The DNG seems to have dissapeard from the server so can't download it :-(
09-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Nice, did you have a chance to play with video?

How much faster than K-7 do you think?
No not the time to try video...

Difficult to say, I don't know the settings of the camera, but as I own a 50-135, I would says between 1.2 to 1.5x, perhaps more, I was focused on iso noise...

QuoteOriginally posted by jan rinze Quote
Missed the window of opprtunity i guess..
The DNG seems to have dissapeard from the server so can't download it :-(
I have put the file back for approx. 10 hours...
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Here is the link (35 MB !)
GULP!!! 35MB RAW?

It seems the most important accessories to go with K-5 are not going to be limited lenses, but unlimited storage space!!! Just trying to imagine resource requirements for full resolution multilayer edits in Photoshop... :-O ~~:-/

09-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #65
emr

Thanks for posting these. The ISO 12800 picture is pretty good, And while the 51200 image has lots of noise, denoised the image could still be used for something. And it's certainly better than an image that could not be taken at all at a lower ISO. I wonder how dark places could be shot handheld at f/1.4 and ISO 51200?
09-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
GULP!!! 35MB RAW?

It seems the most important accessories to go with K-5 are not going to be limited lenses, but unlimited storage space!!! Just trying to imagine resource requirements for full resolution multilayer edits in Photoshop... :-O ~~:-/
I just picked up a 1tb refurbished Western Digital external drive for $45 from Newegg. I occasionally see 2tb drives dipping under $100 as well, and average prices for each seem to drop at a rate of around $10 every few weeks. My fast 8gb cards (Sandisk cards rebranded by Ritz) each cost $17, and I see 16gb cards for $30 and under pretty regularly. I'm not so sure it's that big an issue.
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I had some fun with Ron Hendrik's RAW files from the 645D (too bad all of them are at ISO 1000 and f/2.8 - wide open with the new 55mm f/2.8).

I find the first guy quite disturbing

A 100% crop of the above:

Last edited by Asahiflex; 09-26-2010 at 01:14 PM.
09-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Thanks
I too tried Noiseware Pro and a host of other NR tools. Mainly to see how they would response to the image grain. However, after a few trials, I settled on a blend of ACR Chroma/Luma and finished off with Denoise afterward. So a little of both.

One of the main issues I've found with reference to the grain in this particular sample is that external noise reduction systems don't seem to recognize the noise patterns as actual noise. If I had to guess, I'd say that the grain(cross hatch noise) is too large to be effectively identified as noise by the actual software.

So to test this theory, I interpolated the image to 26MP in ACR, to effectively shrink image grain size and ended-up with the following:

K-5, ISO51200 (ISO102400 equivalent), Early ACR sampling:

It's not a huge leap over the previous sample, though it is an improvement.
So at least we will have that much to look forward too, when better samples do come around
John,

Your rendition is a bit on the smooth side, but we have to keep things in perspective. This is ISO 51,000 we're talking about from an APS-C sensor!!! Let's not be too greedy.

As I see it, the justification for a FF sensor is getting harder to make. Of course FF will always have an advantage, but realistically, how high of an ISO do we actually need?

Rob
09-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #69
Forum Member

How high an ISO do we need? I'll use whatever they can give me as far as I'm concerned!

Taking shots at 1/500 under star light at f11... why not? High ISO performance could really change photography over the coming years...
09-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #70
Veteran Member

The K5 hi iso is actually quite decent, it's not going to make me give up a 5d MkII just yet but it does make me look at the K5 as a reasonable back up or even rough and rugged carry anywhere body.
09-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #71
Inactive Account

nice shot
09-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote
How high an ISO do we need? I'll use whatever they can give me as far as I'm concerned!

Taking shots at 1/500 under star light at f11... why not? High ISO performance could really change photography over the coming years...
There are plenty of indoor situations - restaurants, pubs, band performances, churches, museums, weddings, etc. where being able to use the limited amount of available light handheld would be very useful.

Usually ISO 3200 - 6400 is sufficient , the big difference is CLEAN ISO 6400 without having to do so much NR that you lose much of the detail.
09-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Usually ISO 3200 - 6400 is sufficient , the big difference is CLEAN ISO 6400 without having to do so much NR that you lose much of the detail.

This is game changer for taking stage shows without the use of flash (as it is not allowed). I have used my K10D in the past for taking photos of the stage show during the cruise but managed only a few good shots. I would consider taking this camera on my next cruise.
09-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #74

Wow, this is really impressive... Can't wait first reviews of K-5. And first price drops
09-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #75
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I donīt think this is correct !!!!

I substituted the SD card of one of the three K-5 and a 645D on friday at Photokina...

Hello all,

I donīt want to be the party-pooper. But I think it is impertinent to publish these photos here.

All members of the Pentax staff kindly had asked, not to temper with the SD-Cards and that there should no photo be published, as the firmware is not yet finished. It was explicitely forbidden to use ones own Card!

I too was very impressed with the high-iso-performance of the k5, but not complying the kind request of them, is brazeness ! We should be thankful, that we could have the camera in our hands and gain our own impression of the performance and reüporting it. But this is imho going beyond fair behaviour.

@ Moderator:

You should delete the pictures, as they are not obtained legally or better said : against explicit directive!

@fs999

Du solls dech mol eppes schumen! Du keins jo mol eng keier op daat lauschteren, waat aanerer dir firgeschriwen hun!

@all
As for the pictures of the 645D it was explicit allowed to shot photos, even publish them, if wanted, as the camera is officially available! They are really great.

So please: Let us be fair and wait until the first pictures with the final firmware will be available.

Best Regards from Trier, Germany

Georg