Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
What's wrong with Metz flashes? They have a good, solid reputation and works very nice with Pentax. I don't see why one must have a flash from Pentax when there are others available, compatible with Pentax and that works well.

I don't see it as a problem that third party manufacturers offers what Pentax do not.
There is a PROBLEM. It's ridiculously to read your explanation. Do you work for Pentax PR department?

Your answer reminds me the answer from Pentax booth at Photokina: "What's wrong with 645D. Why do you need FF? Buy 645D.."

Is Pentax photo system of NOT?

If company is not photo system and photo brand, company can't offer good flashes and TC. And no lenses longer 300 mm.

When Canon or Nikon users come to the shop, he/she can buy TC and good flashes.

When Pentaxian come to the shop, he can see only old 360 and 540 models....

The best Pentax lenses died...What then?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1198008-post492.html

Last edited by ogl; 09-26-2010 at 05:28 AM.
09-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
What's wrong with Metz flashes? They have a good, solid reputation and works very nice with Pentax. I don't see why one must have a flash from Pentax when there are others available, compatible with Pentax and that works well.
Officially licensing the Pentax protocol to Metz and outsourcing flash production would certainly be an option. But as it is, the situation is imperfect. Metz's reverse-engineering of P-TTL works great (and in some ways is better than Pentax's own implementation!), but there's also some quirks (like no wireless HSS).
09-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm happy with the IQ of my AF1.7 TC when combined with a quality prime. So I believe an SDM TC makes sense.
What's wrong with the AF540FGZ?
Of course a weather sealed flash would make sense but in terms of performance and handling it is a very good flash.
09-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #19

My 2x AF360 and 2x AF540 flashguns and TR2 power pack do a great job. I use them in wireless P-TTL. They are intuitive to use, and while lacking CLS (which is a gimmick) and weather sealing, produce good light and are reliable. So I think those whiners who say they are 'mediocre' have little idea of the flash capabilities.

I have used other products but I find the Pentaxes have a far better button layout and GUI.

Weather sealing is a matter of time, so when that happens, I'll buy in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Mohawk; 09-26-2010 at 07:42 AM.
09-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I'm happy with the IQ of my AF1.7 TC when combined with a quality prime. So I believe an SDM TC makes sense.
Of course a weather sealed flash would make sense but in terms of performance and handling it is a very good flash.
Whats wrong? the build quality is atrocious for the price. Look at the similar priced Canon flash and it blows it out of the water, the 540 can't even remember its settings when its turned off, my $80 YOngnuo 560 can even do it as is built more strongly.
09-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
As to new lenses, absolutely no information at the Photokina.
Only that the lens above 500mm is dead.
As to TC, Pentax Japan sees currently no need for one. But it was said to be high on the wish list.
The only lens longer than 300mm was the FA* 600/4 for several years, and it has been discontinued for a while. The last 2 or 3 roadmaps had nothing longer than 300mm on them. They did however have a TC listed and there was a prototype shown for it in the past.
09-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
The build on the 2 top p-ttl flashes had some problems or I wouldn't have gone with Metz. The AF 1.7 tc is a good piece, but it is 22+ year old technology designed as a stop gap for AF systems and came out the the F series lenses.
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I agree that Pentax is the last system to look at if flash is in your priority list. Canon and Nikon have better systems, more choices, newer gear, and better prices.

I expect Pentax does not sell a teleconverter because it would hamper the already week autofocus system by making the combined lens too dark. This, I would expect would be just another piece of ammo for the autofocus critics to use against Penatx. I know many people use the old FA 1.7 TC, but how well does the camera autofocus with it and a 55-200mm kit lens? Not everyone understands that this combination would be a poor mix.

09-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm? But same for other brands, normal limit is f/5.6, tc or no tc.
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I really wonder if a TC brings you anything that you won't get from cropping a 16mp image.
If the lens out-resolves the resolution of the sensor/diffraction, a TC will bring you something. If not, then it won't.
09-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If the lens out-resolves the resolution of the sensor/diffraction, a TC will bring you something. If not, then it won't.
Exactly! Resolution is resolution and cropping is cropping. I would expect Pentax to put out a TC that matches up with the quality expected with the DA* 200 and 300mm lenses.
09-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #27

Theres no-one at Photokina, its all an unsubstantiated rumor...
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
If the lens out-resolves the resolution of the sensor/diffraction, a TC will bring you something.
Well, this is obviously not true in general, my 2x Soligor converter from around 1980 can turn a limited lens into the equivalent of a coke bottle bottom. But...

For an 1.4x TC to make sense, the effective resolution of the lens+TC combo must outresolve the equivalent of an 8mp sensor when used with a lens that outresolves the 16mp sensor.

Are good TCs that good?
(I'm genuinely curious about the answer)
09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I agree that Pentax is the last system to look at if flash is in your priority list. Canon and Nikon have better systems, more choices, newer gear, and better prices.
Why is that the case?
Unless you are using more than 2 off camera flashes and need multi-channel systems (I personally don't know of any one who needs that), Pentax flashes are still working great. What am I missing for 1-2 wireless flashes system? I am not aware of any WR flashes out there.
09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #30
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote

Are good TCs that good?
(I'm genuinely curious about the answer)
At least "good" I would say. Maybe not excellent but at least good.
Ex:

Voigtlander 180+Kenko TC x1.5. This is not a crop, just a resized pic.