Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Important questions that no one who's visiting Photokina has addressed yet

ACCESSORIES!

What is Pentax plans for new accessories such as better flashes, teleconverters and new lenses?

I've asked this question a few times in the official Photokina thread but it seems to get snowed under with the forums obsession with Full-Frame and ISO noise.

Accessories are essential for the system to be complete and fully useful.

And finally for the film makers what is the word with shutter and ISO control? why even on a second gen unit has this been ignored when the competition is doing it and clearly the users are demanding it.

09-26-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When it comes to accessories, Pentax has stopped giving out information pre the announcements of new accessories. They don't give out a lens roadmap anymore.
So it is anybody's guess what will happen... But the release of the 18-135 WR and 35 f/2.4 do shows that Pentax are still working on new lenses.

As for teleconverters, Kenko offers a good range.
Hoya (owner of Pentax) and Kenko has business together. Kenko manufacturers the filter that sells under the Hoya brand name, and Kenko sells some of those under their own label for less money...
Pentax manual focus teleconverters is twice the price of what Kenko offers.
Better buy Kenko then, it is less expensive and it may be this thinking Pentax has.
Hoya is not as interested as old Pentax were in supporting un-profitable products.
Everything Hoya offers under the Pentax brand must be profitable, or at least Hoya needs to estimate it to be profitable, in order for it to be produced. If sales are expected to be too low, it is not going to be produced.
With Pentax we have had a long tradition of mixing Pentax gear with third party accessories. Kenko, Metz, Sigma, and others. I believe this will continue.
09-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
With Pentax we have had a long tradition of mixing Pentax gear with third party accessories. Kenko, Metz, Sigma, and others. I believe this will continue.
While I agree there, that more or less appeals to enthusiasts/pros and not the every day user who rather have a one stop all solutions brand.
09-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As to new lenses, absolutely no information at the Photokina.
Only that the lens above 500mm is dead.
As to TC, Pentax Japan sees currently no need for one. But it was said to be high on the wish list.

09-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it comes to accessories, Pentax has stopped giving out information pre the announcements of new accessories. They don't give out a lens roadmap anymore.
So it is anybody's guess what will happen... But the release of the 18-135 WR and 35 f/2.4 do shows that Pentax are still working on new lenses.
DA-L35/2.4 is almost 100% copy of FA35/2.

Teleconvertors - Pentax is only ONE photobrand who can't offer TC to users. It's a shame.

Flashes - 360 and 540 flashes are rather mediocre products if we compare it with top-flashes of Nikon or Canon...Or even with Metz.
09-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
As to new lenses, absolutely no information at the Photokina.
Only that the lens above 500mm is dead.
As to TC, Pentax Japan sees currently no need for one. But it was said to be high on the wish list.
I really wonder if a TC brings you anything that you won't get from cropping a 16mp image.
09-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well we wil get new flashes in first half of 2011 as was stated somewhere, with new functionality with the IR-Simple.

09-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Is management retarded or what? clearly people want them, where the hell do they do their market research? 7/11?
09-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I really wonder if a TC brings you anything that you won't get from cropping a 16mp image.
Well one is digital enlarging and one is optical enlargement, the latter delivers better quality*

* providing the T/C optics are up to scratch.
09-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well we wil get new flashes in first half of 2011 as was stated somewhere, with new functionality with the IR-Simple.
The "somewhere" that was stated was in the incorrect rumored K-5 specs. So it's pretty suspect.

That said, with new P-TTL flashes from Metz and Sigma — not to mention what's available in different systems — Pentax really ought to do something soon.
09-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Well one is digital enlarging and one is optical enlargement, the latter delivers better quality*

AND providing the lens it is used with has enough resolution to handle the enlargement.
09-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The "somewhere" that was stated was in the incorrect rumored K-5 specs. So it's pretty suspect.

That said, with new P-TTL flashes from Metz and Sigma — not to mention what's available in different systems — Pentax really ought to do something soon.
It's rumour and speculation, i'd rather hear something more definite from the P-people.
09-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What's wrong with Metz flashes? They have a good, solid reputation and works very nice with Pentax. I don't see why one must have a flash from Pentax when there are others available, compatible with Pentax and that works well.

The third party alternatives costs less than Pentax branded products, surely this must be positive and interesting also for the "everyday" average user? To my knowledge, for example Sigma is popular among everyday users, not only by professoinals and enthusiast photographers.

I don't see it as a problem that third party manufacturers offers what Pentax do not.
09-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What's wrong with Metz flashes? They have a good, solid reputation and works very nice with Pentax. I don't see why one must have a flash from Pentax when there are others available, compatible with Pentax and that works well.

The third party alternatives costs less than Pentax branded products, surely this must be positive and interesting also for the "everyday" average user? To my knowledge, for example Sigma is popular among everyday users, not only by professoinals and enthusiast photographers.

I don't see it as a problem that third party manufacturers offers what Pentax do not.
You have to remember that many consumers are stupid and are obsessed with having things all the same brand as they think it's better lol.

But Pentax appears to be positioning its products as rugged with weather sealing etc yet can't supply a flashgun that is ruggedly built, Canon and Nikon can do it, Metz and Sigma don't supply a weather resistant flash.
09-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Well, and that's what I question. The only TC I own (if it's still in some drawer somewhere) is a really crappy 2x converter, and I don't doubt that good 1.4x-1.7x converters are much better than that. But 1.4x? That gives you the same FOV as a 8mp crop from the K-5. The latter will certainly look good with a sharp lens and the fine-grained noise of the K-5. I'm not convinced that introducing an additional optical element can beat that.