Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I agree 100 percent. The DA Limiteds aren't comparable to the FAs. I'll second the request Pentax produce new FA Limited lenses, however I don't think 24, 28 and 135 would work because they're "normal" lengths.
Now we get to the real genius of these focal length choices.

24mm is a classic FF focal length but also provides, on APS-C, the same FOV as the perfect street 35mm. (Well, 36mm exactly, but let's be nice.)

Likewise 28mm is a classic FF focal length but also provides, on APS-C, the same FOV as 43mm FF, which to say the perfect normal.

135mm was also a useful film focal, and gives us digital shooters the 200mm equivalent FOV prime we have been missing.

Thus these three focal lengths are perfect for film or digital Pentax shooters and, not coincidentally, fill the biggest gaps in the lens line-up.

09-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 24mm and 28mm would definitely be of interest to me. But real "Limited", not "Limited" in the sense of the current 21mm, which I find pretty average.

I love my K28 f/3.5 but it's a nightmare to focus in low light and it's got the 28mm distortion that is a little strong for the 42mm FOV.

In fact, really decent 24mm and 28mm would probably be all I'd carry.
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #108
Veteran Member

FA limiteds: long life design award

Perhaps, Pentax should discontinue DA-APS-C-only-optics instead of cancelling the FA limiteds
10-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Hi sjwaldron,
thanks for taking the time in contacting Japan. Regarding the issue, I didn't think much of it. The topic of Limiteds stopping, comes up every once and a while. I don't pay much attention to it. Maybe Pentax will stop the present, to add sealing, but otherwise I don't care much about these things that suddenly take life on the internet.
I can still see the FA 50/1.4 come by B&H in shipments every once and a while. So not particularly concerned about the Limiteds stopping.

With the 645D taking up effort, I think it makes somewhat sense for Pentax, not to come out with a bunch of new lenses right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Thank you, it cuts a nasty rumour about the FA limited; I wonder what are the intentions of the guys who spread these kind of rumours.
Very impatient as you to have a 400 mm Pentex; I have a FA*600 but the 400 mm will idealy complement it when some hiking is needed. I'll post some pictures in another threads - by the way I have posted several bunch of bird pictures on dpreview
Tired of photokina bashing threads; flycatcher season with FA*600: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Bird shots with FA*600: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Regards
Great shots !
Sometimes with all the spec discussions, it is like cameras are not a hobby to have fun in spare time, but companies trying to insult you personally

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I went into the Pentax Forum about an hour ago. I explained to the staff that a Pentax representative in Germany at Photokina had stated that the FA Ltd line-up was to be cancelled. (Today's new verb: うちきる). They looked at me like I'd sprouted a third eye.

To be fair, that happens when I try my hand at Japanese. But that problem aside, she confirmed by focal length numbers the lenses I was talking about, and said that they were "very important". Then she conferred with a colleague, and neither had heard anything of the sort. She then went into the back to talk with the fellows who do the repairs etc and came back to tell me a good deal that went right over my head. But I summarized by saying, "So Pentax will continue to make the lenses?"

"Of course."

P.S. Pentax Forum is on an atrium with a waterfall. As others have noted, it's an active and bright place. Canon's got something in the building where the Pentax Forum was previously located (mostly full of photocopiers last time I looked). Today I got to play with the K-x. Damn fine autofocus!

middle basement

Pentax Forum

interesting things on display
Thanks for the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Second, when the correspondents at the show make statements like "who can understand those Japanese" it's not helping in the slightest. Japan is a country isolated by geography, custom, and language. I can refer you to some of the effects that this has had on business in this country over the past twenty years in a comment I posted on one of my photos:

2010.09.24 English OK - uccemebug's Album: Single in September - PentaxForums.com

In short, non-Japanese users are mystified by what they see from Hoya and it's not helping their angst over the change in direction for Pentax. My advice here is that this may change if there's a new marketing element coming into play but one shouldn't expect a Japanese firm unused to retail and unused to foreign clientele to start speaking their language (figuratively or literally).
Great photo, interesting input too.

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Sweet !