Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I actually see the genuine Pentax 1.7x TC as a super way to get longer glass across the board for a reasonable price.

Anyway, hope a solution finds you one way or the other...trust me, life is too short to worry about all of this...even if it's how you pay for the right to keep living...Burger King can do the same thing.
I agree with you. Any idea where to find a new one? Still not sure I'd want to pay the "not offered in your country" markup though. Kind of like how I wanted to get a Silver edition K-7 when I saw it on ebay months ago, but it was well well overpriced.

I'm not worried or care in the grand scheme of things per se, it's fun talking about and trying to improve what tools we can get from Pentax. I also want to see them be successful as a company as I like a lot of what they focus on when they create products. Plus, I'm a nerd with a CS degree, so talking about gadgets is a past time of mine.

09-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
As you can see, I use Linux.
Cool. I've got my aunt and mother-in-law on Ubuntu. All they do is surf so they hardly notice the difference!
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Cool. I've got my aunt and mother-in-law on Ubuntu. All they do is surf so they hardly notice the difference!

OMG...let the OS wars begin! It will take our minds off of Pentax.
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I went into the Pentax Forum about an hour ago. I explained to the staff that a Pentax representative in Germany at Photokina had stated that the FA Ltd line-up was to be cancelled. (Today's new verb: うちきる). They looked at me like I'd sprouted a third eye.

To be fair, that happens when I try my hand at Japanese. But that problem aside, she confirmed by focal length numbers the lenses I was talking about, and said that they were "very important". Then she conferred with a colleague, and neither had heard anything of the sort. She then went into the back to talk with the fellows who do the repairs etc and came back to tell me a good deal that went right over my head. But I summarized by saying, "So Pentax will continue to make the lenses?"

"Of course."

P.S. Pentax Forum is on an atrium with a waterfall. As others have noted, it's an active and bright place. Canon's got something in the building where the Pentax Forum was previously located (mostly full of photocopiers last time I looked). Today I got to play with the K-x. Damn fine autofocus!

middle basement

Pentax Forum

interesting things on display

09-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Blue, I respectfully submit that Pentax is running a business, and businesses have to make a profit, so whatever they have to do to stay in business is what they have to do. It's not the first time a business had to abandon a loved and high end product to continue to survive. I love my Pentax, but unless they continue to be profitable, my beloved Pentax will go the way of the Dodo.
I don't think you understood what I said. How is dropping a limited line going to save a company? You are implying they are losing money by having the limited series. However, if they start cranking out Rebel dSLR type crap exclusively, they may as well go the way of the Dodo. Hence, my "Be the Same" sarcasm.

Edit: That is why I don't think they would do it without a new set of Crown Jewels.

Last edited by Blue; 09-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
09-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I went into the Pentax Forum about an hour ago.
"Of course."
interesting things on display
Excellent. Thanks for the information. Is that a silver DA 40mm LTD? wow.
09-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Excellent. Thanks for the information. Is that a silver DA 40mm LTD? wow.
That's the 50th Anniversary set made up to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 'AP' in 2007. The AP was released in 1957. This body was based on the K10d and the lens as you guessed is the DA 40 ltd.

09-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
"So Pentax will continue to make the lenses?"

"Of course."
I'm glad we can put this Urban Legend to rest, at least for now.
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's the 50th Anniversary set made up to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 'AP' in 2007. The AP was released in 1957. This body was based on the K10d and the lens as you guessed is the DA 40 ltd.
Note too that the hood says "SMC Takumar DA"
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Personally I don't see what the fuss is if all FA Limited got terminated. The existing DA Limited lineup is not so bad. What Pentax really need is to fix optical misalignment, SDM, P-TTL and predictive AF. If they managed to maintain a solid lineup between the existing 12-300mm, Pentax would still be viable alternative to many consumers. Sadly, I don't see Pentax is addressing those issues.

They do need to fix those things, absolutely, but... A company that would stop production of one of the best telephotos ever made - the FA 77ltd - would have lost it's soul.

The FA Limiteds are essential, in my mind, to Pentax being Pentax.

I hope it's not true now, and I hope it's not imminent.

09-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Though I like the FA77, but I feel the DA70 is a good enough alternative with better optics. AF is also significantly faster. I feel uncomfortable shooting my FA77 wider than f4.
09-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #57
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Though I like the FA77, but I feel the DA70 is a good enough alternative with better optics. AF is also significantly faster. I feel uncomfortable shooting my FA77 wider than f4.
Uneasy shooting wider than f/4? Not sharp enough for you?
You do realise it's the FA 77 we're talking about.
I'm sure there are many here who can vouch for the FA 77's brilliance even wide open... (including me. )
09-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to think so too on film and better than the FA*85 which I also had. But on digital, the sharpness toward the border is not that great until f4. That's what I have found anyway. I am sure opinions differ.
09-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The FA Limiteds will continue to be sold as long as they are profitable, if they are not then they will not be made anymore. The DA Limiteds replaced the FA Limiteds long time ago, and the only thing that has kept the FA Limiteds in production is their popularity.
But the popularity has dropped recently, maybe users doesn't understand why spending more for FA 77 instead of DA 70 or FA 43 instead of DA 40. They are indeed overlapping.
So FA Limiteds lives on "borrowed time" and has done so for a few years. Pentax has several lenses only available for the Japanese home market, that they don't sell overseas (beacuse production volume is too low) and the same thing can happen to the FA Limiteds, maybe this is what is happening - going to be a "only available in Japan" thing and that could be explanation of the current confusion for this lenses.
Yes, they will be available - but only in Japan and not in Europe.
Perhaps this is the answer.
09-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #60
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The DA Limiteds replaced the FA Limiteds long time ago, and the only thing that has kept the FA Limiteds in production is their popularity.
Nonsense.

Can you explain how DA Limiteds replace FA Limiteds?
It's absolutely differents lines of lenses - DA LIMITEDs are more compact and APS-C design, slower than FA LIMITED.

DA40/2.8 is the AF version of M40/2.8, by the way.

Which DA lens replaced FA31/1.8 (the one of the best wide-angle lens in the world)? Do you really think that it's DA21???

If we talk about ~90-95% (35 mm equivalent focal range and DOF) replacement of FA LIMITED by APS-C lenses,
FA43 should be replaced by
DA28/1.4 LIMITED,
FA77 by DA50/1.4 LIMITED,
FA31 by 21/1.4 LIMITED.