Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
However, if they start cranking out Rebel dSLR type crap exclusively,
Having handled the K-r today and having casually shot a wedding with a friend's Rebel I can assure you that the K-x is *nothing* like the Rebel. At all. Viewfinder aside, it really drove home what an antiquated unit my old *DS is. The autofocus alone was .. wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I'm glad we can put this Urban Legend to rest, at least for now.
Gods willing, yes indeed. Though I liked my half-hearted theory that they're withdrawing them from the market because they're going to license the designs to Tokina.

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Note too that the hood says "SMC Takumar DA"
Yup, it was a silly vanity item from 2007 as Blue correctly pointed out. That's why I like dropping in there. This FA Ltd tempest provided an excuse.

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The FA Limiteds will continue to be sold as long as they are profitable
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The FA Limiteds are essential, in my mind, to Pentax being Pentax.
I suspect that they'd be around even if they're losing money, just to serve as figure-head "crown jewels". Hmm, maybe they've already reached that status if the prices have gone up to make them essentially a luxury purchase.

Last edited by uccemebug; 09-27-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Wrote "K-x" when I meant the new "K-r"
09-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Though I like the FA77, but I feel the DA70 is a good enough alternative with better optics. AF is also significantly faster. I feel uncomfortable shooting my FA77 wider than f4.
You probably must have had a poor copy because all my magical shots on the FA 77mm happened between f/2 to f2.8. I had a DA 70mm and for the life of me the lens is truly a poor cousin to the FA 77mm.
09-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
...Pentax has several lenses only available for the Japanese home market, that they don't sell overseas (beacuse production volume is too low) and the same thing can happen to the FA Limiteds, maybe this is what is happening - going to be a "only available in Japan" thing and that could be explanation of the current confusion for this lenses.
Yes, they will be available - but only in Japan and not in Europe.
Perhaps this is the answer.
What are the lenses that are only available for the Japanese home market? Can you give specific examples? I can't seem to find any instance of this.
Is your explanation of a "only in Japan and not in Europe" policy just a pure guess?
09-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You probably must have had a poor copy because all my magical shots on the FA 77mm happened between f/2 to f2.8. I had a DA 70mm and for the life of me the lens is truly a poor cousin to the FA 77mm.
Possible, or we are interested in different subject matters which have much to to with the final outcome.

09-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Possible, or we are interested in different subject matters which have much to to with the final outcome.
I put forward this possibility because I had two copies of the FA 43mm Limited. The newer one with the higher serial number showed simply excessive purple fringing. My second copy had this issue very well controlled. Given that lenses are made in batches and there is plenty of hand assembly involved, the chance for sample variation is there. I also once examined six FA 50mm f/1.4s in a shop before buying two copies and even then, I could discern ever so slight optical differences. Had the same experience when choosing one out of three Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4s. That's why I opt to test at a shop in person where possible.
09-27-2010, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Veteran Member

I just want to say that I stand by what I have been told:
The FA Limiteds are discontinued.

Falk additionally added that he saw the latest dealer list for Germany/Swiss/Austria where they are listed as EOL (end of life).
I have got further confirmation today that this is correct.
I didn't ask if this is world-wide, though.
I think so, but I don't know.
It may be, as Roland suggested, that they will survive as a Japan-only item, like e.g. the 600mm lens. Or perhaps Pentax may reconsider the decision if the outcry is loud enough?

PS: I must say that I am a bit irritated about the moderator activity regarding this topic. I am considering not posting here anymore.
09-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I put forward this possibility because I had two copies of the FA 43mm Limited. The newer one with the higher serial number showed simply excessive purple fringing. My second copy had this issue very well controlled. Given that lenses are made in batches and there is plenty of hand assembly involved, the chance for sample variation is there. I also once examined six FA 50mm f/1.4s in a shop before buying two copies and even then, I could discern ever so slight optical differences. Had the same experience when choosing one out of three Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4s. That's why I opt to test at a shop in person where possible.
Not to mention I opened mine up to rearrange the aperture blades. B4 that, it produced egg shape bokeh.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I just want to say that I stand by what I have been told:
The FA Limiteds are discontinued.
I think it is quite possible FA Limited parts ran low and they decided to drop worldwide distribution except within Japan. We have seen this approach with other products over the years.

09-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #68
Veteran Member

For what its worth, all the FA limiteds are still listed on Pentax Europe web-site

System Digital - Limited Edition - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems
09-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Wow this is as controversial and anger producing as the removal of screw drive :P

I must say this has been very entertaining to sit back and watch lol
09-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #70
Pentaxian

What are the lenses that are only available for the Japanese home market? Can you give specific examples?
If you look through the current (well, minus the Photokina announcements) Japanese lens flyer from a few months back, there are a lot of lenses available that you don't find elsewhere, e.g. the A50/1.2
09-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #71
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
PS: I must say that I am a bit irritated about the moderator activity regarding this topic. I am considering not posting here anymore.
Wieland, I'm not going to post any more in this topic, but I have to say I have been upset by the aggressive reaction to respectable members such as you and falconeye. For the sake of this forum I wish you do not stop posting.
09-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #72
Veteran Member

When moderators attack!

09-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Wow this is as controversial and anger producing as the removal of screw drive :P

I must say this has been very entertaining to sit back and watch lol
You found this situation "entertaining", were people insult other people, reputed and respected poster of PF. Where a senior moderator is banned. Where 2 of the most respected posters are personally attacked and probably feel bad about this story, while they just bring valuable informations to this Pentax community. You find interesting to see half of the pentaxian fighting with the other half.
Well, I guess my opinion about you was justified. :ugh:
Now, on my side I found it pathetic. Blende8 and Falk are precious posters, not such kind of "Simonsmyth". They bring interesting remarks, and even if everybody cannot always agree with them, their contribution matters to me.

Blende, Falk, there is many people reading this forum that support you. Even if they don't talk. You have bring a terrible news that some people cannot accept (and maybe they will even deny the forthcoming PR). So now let's close that discussion only leading to bad words, and let's wait a few more weeks.
If the story happen to be official, then I hope the people who were a bit aggressive during the last 24 hours will apologize, and we will all continue our pentaxian story together.
09-27-2010, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

Hey i'm innocent, it is rather humorous because people get so passionate, fired up and serious over something like a damn camera. People go to war over food, water, oil etc the rest of you are going to war over a hunk of glass, get real!

It's funny to watch so much fire and hatred over stupid shit.

Zack probably shouldn't have lost his cool, but probably just lost it after reading thread upon thread of doom, gloom and negativity he probably just snapped and sadly Falk was in the firing line.

Unlike many I don't take the internet and what is published on it as serious as I probably should.

My attitude is its a ****ing camera, go out use it, play with it, enjoy it and take some pretty pictures, that's what it's built for in the first place.

It's like the people who are Muslim and those who become fanatics totally forgetting the initial point of the religion to begin with, the behaviour of many on here is bordering on the same sort of sick fanaticism.

To be honest I love my Pentax gear, so far I haven't shot with an FA ltd lens and I don't really intend to buy one either. The discontinuation of FA is of little consequence to me and to many people to I suspect, they are film era lenses are reality is don't fit in with Pentax's clear APS-C & MF strategy. There won't be a FF Pentax for a long time if ever, deal with it!

QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
You found this situation "entertaining", were people insult other people, reputed and respected poster of PF. Where a senior moderator is banned. Where 2 of the most respected posters are personally attacked and probably feel bad about this story, while they just bring valuable informations to this Pentax community. You find interesting to see half of the pentaxian fighting with the other half.
Well, I guess my opinion about you was justified. :ugh:
Now, on my side I found it pathetic. Blende8 and Falk are precious posters, not such kind of "Simonsmyth". They bring interesting remarks, and even if everybody cannot always agree with them, their contribution matters to me.

Blende, Falk, there is many people reading this forum that support you. Even if they don't talk. You have bring a terrible news that some people cannot accept (and maybe they will even deny the forthcoming PR). So now let's close that discussion only leading to bad words, and let's wait a few more weeks.
If the story happen to be official, then I hope the people who were a bit aggressive during the last 24 hours will apologize, and we will all continue our pentaxian story together.
09-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #75
ogl
Banned

FA31 at Pentar (pentax russia) online-shop
Attached Images