Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

Another interesting tidbit with respect to the K-5 is where it really seems to have aprox. 1 stop over the A55(same sensor?). Which I thought was really interesting. I'm guessing(based on hearsay) that the issue there is with the A55's translucent membrane or something along those lines.
In theory the A55 should only lose 1/3 stop due to the mirror. Ah, well. This wouldn't be the first time Pentax has managed to squeeze better performance out of a given Sony sensor than Sony's own cameras. Nikon tends to manage to do that too.

09-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How does it look compared to the k-x. Are there any comparisons?
Reguards
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
How does it look compared to the k-x. Are there any comparisons?
Reguards
Great idea!
I will try that one next.
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-x added to the sample:

09-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-x added to the sample:

From left to right: K-5, A55, K-x, D700
09-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
edl
Veteran Member

Nice exercise Johnbee, a controlled test would provide more useful information. But realistically, no one should be concerned about noise at 6400, as the latest batch of 2010 crop sensors are about equal with FF sensors from 2008. You should be comparing 2010 technology against each other, and doing your comparisons with the new FF noise king, the D3S.

Noise is a small part of the equation. DR, "bokeh control," shooting wide or long, those are much more important considerations to the entire FF vs. crop discussion. For example, if you're a wide freak, nothing will suit you better than Nikon 14-24/2.8 on full frame. But if you shoot birds in flight, you'll need a crop body and 400mm+ to get it done. So, comparatively speaking IMO, noise should not really be something to be concerned about.

But it is nice to know the K5 has good high ISO noise performance. I'd imagine the 7D and D7000 have similar performance too?
09-28-2010, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
You should be comparing 2010 technology against each other, and doing your comparisons with the new FF noise king, the D3S.
I thought about that too, but since the D700 is of particular interest to me, I was compelled to use that as a benchmark.

QuoteQuote:
Noise is a small part of the equation. DR, "bokeh control," shooting wide or long, those are much more important considerations to the entire FF vs. crop discussion.
I suppose so. Though I'm sort of hung-up on GordonB's latest comment with respect to DR measurements on the K-5. Which was something along the lines of... best DR across the board(FF and crop). Though I think he also mentioned that it would take a second opinion to substantiate or something along those lines.

QuoteQuote:
it is nice to know the K5 has good high ISO noise performance. I'd imagine the 7D and D7000 have similar performance too?
I've been measurbating none stop to try and establish a reliable baseline with respect to where the K-5 RAW performance stands on the SNR scale. However, it's really hard to say anything with certainty given the limited RAW files at our disposition atm. However, I can say this without a doubt...

Have you ever seen such beautiful definition from a crop sensor ISO6400 file before?
Be honest... if you think I'm crazy, just tell it like it is. But every time I open and work with sample, it leaves me more and more impressed.

I have a 100% sample if you'd like to see it also.
I'm just awestruck by the flexibility and amount of processing overhead the K-5 RAW files contain.
There are no noise issue pushing 2 stops in ACR with this one.

09-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Have you ever seen such beautiful definition from a crop sensor ISO6400 file before?
The answer is NO, not from an APS-C sensor.

My previous "Best in Class" benchmark for this was the Canon 7D.
Still early days, but the K-5 looks like beating it.

A lot of Pentax users are Image Quality fanatics (I am !)....the K-5 is going to be like letting loose a kid in a candy store....
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Thanks John Bee. This is very important for my shooting.
I am smiling again.....
Great Thread.

Last edited by garyk; 09-28-2010 at 08:49 PM.
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm certainly agree that the debate between FF and C format is less and less relevant everytime thet APC format gets better and better. We've grown the pixel count, the usable ISO, the effective range, and what I'm looking for is
improved quality that these incremental improvements produce.

I'm more interested in results, than the precise measures of the equipment inside the box. All evidence here is that the results are improved, and that's why I'm gonna buy one. I have no urge to pack around an 8x10 view camera when
a half frame will do the job.
09-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The impressive thing to me, is really not the noise issue, but the way that the sensor seems to hold on to detail and dynamic range at these high iso settings. The K20 can shoot low dynamic range settings pretty decently at iso 3200 and even a little higher, but the DR suffers significantly when you get up to that point -- often images just look best in black and white. So far, I don't see that with the K5.
09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I am very excited about the k-r also. I love the k-x. If the k-r improves as much as the k-5 does. Can you imagine the splash it will make.
I am waiting for the actual hands on and tests. Not holding my breath since i love the k-x so much. But if???? then i am in like flint.
Also i like the crop factor. If they improve this much in two years I just as soon stay with the small chip.
09-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I cannot remember when there was so much excitement surrounding the release of a Pentax camera. If the photo media catch on, and if Pentax can put together a first-rate marketing blitz (When was the last time that happened?) the K-5 should fly out the door. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get said media to pay much attention to anyone other than Nikon and Canon, as those are the companies that pay the bills and have the largest user bases. Another problem for Pentax will be differentiating the K-5 from the D7000 and the forthcoming D400. The former costs less, but the latter will presumably cost more. Build quality, ergonomics, small size and in-camera SR should be the main selling points (in addition to outstanding IQ, of course.)

Rob
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow, the A55 looks terrible...
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fullertonimages Quote
wow, the a55 looks terrible...
dont you dare say that about sony! They'll buy you out and ruin you!