Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 04:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
They don't want people taking pictures and then using the pictures to review the camera.
That would be my thought. They don't want reviews based on pre-production models for all kinds of reasons from firmware to QC.

The misrepresentation from pre-production models can go both ways. I remember almost 20 years ago buying a demo model of a Dodge Intrepid that was part of the initial hand-made production run Chrysler had done up in Canada. It was one of the best modern cars I ever owned--everything about it fit and ran perfectly and without so much as a rattle for over a decade. It was not typical of the production that followed later.

09-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
They wouldn't have to go through all tests again, they make a judgment of what the change possible could affect and then they test that. I would say some firmware tests and that's about it. (IF there are no hardware changes other than slapping in a bigger pin compatible memory circuit.)
In the past I, too, have tried that argument but remember that the DVT testing protocol is to ensure both component and system reliability with that component. This means any component change in the hardware requires the full retest protocol. Further, it requires new agency re-certification (UL, CE, EU, etc.). I hated it too.
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JackBak Quote
In the past I, too, have tried that argument but remember that the DVT testing protocol is to ensure both component and system reliability with that component. This means any component change in the hardware requires the full retest protocol. Further, it requires new agency re-certification (UL, CE, EU, etc.). I hated it too.
Such a system would be thrown out immediately. The idea is to ensure quality, not stop the industry.
Not even NASA would do a full system check on their space shuttle if someone changed a detail somewhere.
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
someone might be able to put in his/her SD card with a hecked boot code (then switch on/off) to disable the camera - don't think they want that to happen...
Yeah, that sounds really likely.

09-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

No, not really. One could put a card inside the 645D...
Most likely is the "pre-production camera" thing.