Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

D7000 is crippled compared to K5

I was shocked to read the specs on the D7000 and find out that for exposure bracketing:

2 to 3 frames in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1EV increments

That is not adequate for HDR software. Kx, KR, K10, K20, K7 and presumably the new K5 have exposure bracketing that will put that spec to shame. even the Kx and Kr will do 3 images at 3 EV increments. the K20, K7, and K5 will do 3 or 5 images at up to 2 EV steps.

In addition, the K20, K7 and K5 will also do mulitple image exposures in camera, very useful for water work and other applications.

Nikon missed an opportunity with what i think is some deliberate crippling.

I could be wrong when more complete specs are published, but so far it doesn't look good. I posted it here because so many comparisons are touting how good the D7000 is, well not in all areas i guess :-(

09-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting... Thanks for posting!
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

yeah, i've read that as well from some nikon forum.

however, there are a few other features in the D7000 that the k5 doesn't have or might have (pending like tethering)

now, i don't think the k5 is crippled in that regard?

truth is that both bodies are very well spec'd and one body will have something that the other doesn't have or do as well and vice versa.
09-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it is highly improbable to take two products in similar categories and have them compared in such a way that one will come out completely on top. Each will have their strengths and weaknesses...

09-27-2010, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

It does seem that Pentax cameras get compared in any given area with a whole bunch of different models from different brands: I've had the impression that the Canon 't' series and Nikon four-digit ones are basically entry-level still cameras built around serious video with, tons of bells&whistles, and the Pentax ones are serious still cameras with real prisms and controls and weatherseals, with some pretty nice added video capability that hopefully won't get in the way or force compromising the primary job.

Frankly, I could take or leave the video capability: upon eventual upgrade, I'll probably have some fun with it, but if someone said, 'You can have a K-5 with an absolutely incredible viewfinder and no video' that's where I'd go.
09-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I think it is highly improbable to take two products in similar categories and have them compared in such a way that one will come out completely on top. Each will have their strengths and weaknesses...
I agree But i've grown in the last year to really like exposure bracketing and the occasional HDR image. OK, i've even considered a dual system, but not now. I will not tolerate any camera without adequate bracketing range - fatal flaw but perhaps that just me (i don't think so ). HDR is very much a coming thing.
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I was shocked to read the specs on the D7000 and find out that for exposure bracketing:

2 to 3 frames in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1EV increments

the D7000 is, well not in all areas i guess :-(
HDR in JPEG - I don't care about it.

09-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
HDR in JPEG - I don't care about it.
Who says that this is about JPEG? I use bracketing regularly in RAW.
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The K10D and the D200 were contempory cameras.

At the time it was a big deal that the K10D was able to bracket over such a wide range. Many review sites pointed this out as a real strength for the K10D, especially if HDR was important.

The D200 on the otherhand can only bracket 3 frames, at +/- 1 stop max.

The D300 was better with 2-9 frames at up to 1 stop each.

I expect that there will be some features on the D7000 that are crippled, as it is not Nikon's top camera. Right now, the D300s is still considered the top camera (APS-C), but most people expect there will be a replacement to the D300s. And I am sure it will have bracketing that is HDR suitable.

Don't forget the D7000 is a midrange Nikon. There is still the D300s, D700, D3x, D3s above it.

Interesting to note that the D3s only brackets 2-9 at up to 1 EV steps.
09-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont' care about onboard HDR in jpeg's either. HDR software off the camera is so much better, IMO.

Also, i don't shoot anything but RAW.

But if you're going to do Pano with HDR or frequently do HDR like i occasionally do, an adequate built in exposure bracketing capability is essential for any camera i buy.

K20 which i have, the K7 and K5 probably, also have extended bracketing capability for more than exposure. I doubt that D7000 supports the extended bracketing any better, if at all. Once i saw that it sucks at exposure bracketing, thats all that i needed to see to make up my mind.

Its a shame, but apparently the Nikon folks have some strong class distinctions between their model numbering system and what each class of camera is allowed to have. I thought that the D7000 was a breakthru model for them. still is a pretty good spec camera, but i won't buy it now. fatal flaw and all that.
09-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I will not tolerate any camera without adequate bracketing range - fatal flaw but perhaps that just me (i don't think so ). HDR is very much a coming thing.
I beg to differ, sir. If you're after serious HDR, it is most likely that your camera is mounted on a tripod and you're shooting some kind of a static scene, be it a land/city scape or studio still life. If so is the case, then nothing prevents you from taking a shot, dialing whatever exposure compensation you deem appropriate, taking another shot, and repeating last two steps until you are done implementing your plan. If however you just walk by and want to take a sequence of bracketing shots for sake of HDR in passing by mode, then I don't think that either camera is for you. There will have to be performed some serious processing in order to cross-register the images as I doubt you can handhold your camera still enough.

Either way, without any intent to attack you or any disrespect whatsoever, I am thinking that bells and whistles make our brains go blank every now and then. I know they do so to me.
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Don't forget the D7000 is a midrange Nikon. There is still the D300s, D700, D3x, D3s above it.
That's in my eyes major strength of two leading brands and equally major weakness of Pentax. Pentax simply lacks diversity of feature set * price differentiation.
09-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I believe both cameras are very similar, more than any previous Pentax/Nikon since istDL/D50 were. That puts them in natural comparison. And sure both of them are very well specced, featuring all necessary.
Nikon will surely sell better mainly because of their user base and markenting. But even if I didn't have my Pentax lenses I'd be more tempted by the K-5. Partially due to the bracketing.

Last edited by elho_cid; 09-27-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: DL instead of DS
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The K10D and the D200 were contempory cameras.

At the time it was a big deal that the K10D was able to bracket over such a wide range. Many review sites pointed this out as a real strength for the K10D, especially if HDR was important.

The D200 on the otherhand can only bracket 3 frames, at +/- 1 stop max.

The D300 was better with 2-9 frames at up to 1 stop each.

I expect that there will be some features on the D7000 that are crippled, as it is not Nikon's top camera. Right now, the D300s is still considered the top camera (APS-C), but most people expect there will be a replacement to the D300s. And I am sure it will have bracketing that is HDR suitable.

Interesting to note that the D3s only brackets 2-9 at up to 1 EV steps.
Kungpow, I really appreciate your background info. I started with the K10 and didn't know what happened before that model.

I didn't know when i bought the K10, or later the K20, that i was eventually going to be interested in HDR. Then after reading about HDR, i look at my K20, and its already there. Thats the neat thing about Pentax, when you buy its top camera, you get features that are sometimes only available at higher end cameras from other brands.

Does a newcomer know what features they will want from their camera 2 years down the line, of course not. But withl a smaller lineup like Pentax's, they don't go around needlessly crippling their camera capabilities. It costs absolutely no hardware expense to make a DSLR camera go 2 or 3 EV steps between bracketing, rather than just one. Or take 5 images in a bracketed sequence rather than just 2 or 3 like the D7000. But no, if we make the D7000 like that, at no additional expense, then the consumer might not sell it in 2 years and upgrade. I just hate that kind of thinking where the camera company is setting up the consumer to lose in the long term.
09-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Inactive Account

different features matter to different folks.
HDR for me in-camera doesn't matter. AFc/tracking does.

while the K5 has a new safox IX+, and initial reports look very good, i'll wait until the formal reviews and more field reports come in using FW 1.0.

same with the nikon 39pt AF. spec wise, it's nice, but how does it really perform in the field? of course, few reports indicate it's much faster than the d90, but we'll need to wait.

but i wouln't consider either camera "crippled", just differently spec'd.
Closed Thread