Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
within every amateur tog is an aspiration to become a "pro" tog - therefore he/she buys into the system that will fulfill that aspiration.

Pentax does not fulfill this aspiration of theirs and this can be seen worldwide.

Unless mr aspirant pro tog sees Pentax gear being used by seasoned pro's at football matches, rugby events, surfing etc etc - their dslrs will never really feature.

10-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
within every amateur tog is an aspiration to become a "pro" tog - therefore he/she buys into the system that will fulfill that aspiration.

Pentax does not fulfill this aspiration of theirs and this can be seen worldwide.

Unless mr aspirant pro tog sees Pentax gear being used by seasoned pro's at football matches, rugby events, surfing etc etc - their dslrs will never really feature.
Yes and no. I think retail is like a politician running for office. One has to appeal to enough different tribes to get elected to office.

I bought into the Pentax system in 2007 without any aspiration of becoming a pro, and without going to any of the events you mentioned. I was in a different tribe than the one you describe apparently.

If you're saying that Pentax must have an effective publicity strategy, then i agree. But, when you're number 3 in the market, one can't simply do things the same way as the industry leaders, as you will probably always be number 3. One has to define a different niche, a different approach, attitude, something.
10-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I don't understand how people expect to get ground breaking technology for less than the entry price of the last camera that wasn't even close to leading the current technology. The K-5 is every bit or more the equal to the 7D or D300s, and should be priced accordingly. It cost's money to make cameras. Everyone says if it was les than $100 they would have got one, but they won't for $1600. If Subaru started selling new cars at $15,000 a ton of people would buy those too. But Subaru would still go out of business...

Well my gut feeling is the D300s will still have superior tracking AF. You can almost bet on it. Its also a Nikon with superior support and flash system. I can go to walmart or many places and get lens, flashes all kinds of stuff. With Pentax everything in the Detroit area is over the internet.

The Nikon D7000 will probably still have a better AF system than the K-5. It will have the same sensor. Because Nikon is for sports (their top models) they have a lot of money into their AF systems.

All this from a Pentax fanboy, me. But just being honest to myself. The K-5 fires back with better build (probably sealed better, and tougher). A few more features.

I really don't see why the K-5 should sell for more than the D7000. And I guarantee the D7000 will take all the sales for folks looking to jump ship from another brand or buy a dSLR in this price range.

Just like the K10D to K20D. Old body new sensor and features. The K20D had to be sold at low prices. Did it have bad high ISO, no. Did it do something bad, no. Just was not as fast as the Nikons in AF tracking or have the name. In fact it has superior weather-sealing compared to the D90. It was the highest res sensor out at 14.6mp and performed well as we now know.

Pentax has to lower the price and not make it seem an expensive camera that could not compete; keep the price high and slowly lower it. Better to make it look like a nice bargain from Pentax and sell a bunch now!
10-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
Amen to this, and that's the original point of this thread

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I do agree with your assessment that Pentax needed to do more if they wanted to be highly competitive again. honestly, I don't buy the idea that Pentax is out of money due to their 645D and mid-range camera line ventures, especially now that HOYA has taken over. for me, it is more like Pentax still playing it safe at a certain level. although it already made some moves or changes, those aren't still enough
Pentax I theorise are regrouping (Thanks to HOYA)
Looking at the market and calculating

645D is unique and probably will/(?does in Japan) make money, or rather genuinely profitable margin

APS-C format from Pentax probably doesn't yet

So HOYA said - make it so - or else

K5, Kr and the two new lens are already rattling some cages

GO PENTAX GO

Sorry no vision of Pentax FF or long tele low f-stop lens in this interpretation
The later will probably come if Pentax GO. The former I doubt

10-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I really don't see why the K-5 should sell for more than the D7000.
Because it's the superior camera.
10-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
APS-C format from Pentax probably doesn't yet

So HOYA said - make it so - or else
I think the same thing. And if the current batch doesn't take off, it may be the end for dSLR's from Hoya (except perhaps for a final update or two the Olympus is handling their SLR series).
10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because it's the superior camera.
That has yet to be proven, we will know soon enough whether the specs are true, or marketing hype.
10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
That has yet to be proven, we will know soon enough whether the specs are true, or marketing hype.
fair enough. although the initial reports are pretty much positive and has generated optimism to a lot of people. surely garnering a Star Award at Photokina isn't that easy to achieve. the only thing that seems to be of concern or of any complaint is the performance of using SDM lenses on it which has no improvement at all. and I don't believe it's the camera's fault for such lackluster performance but rather the SDM motor of the lens. and Yes, Pentax needs to work that one out.

10-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
Do you think Pentax was lying about the specs?
Maybe you wanted to say, how it performs re. autofocus (because if we're talking about image quality, there's absolutely no reason to believe it won't be at least as good as the Nikon). But a "lesser" autofocus by itself is not necessarily a reason to downgrade an otherwise better-specified camera.
10-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote

I really don't see why the K-5 should sell for more than the D7000. And I guarantee the D7000 will take all the sales for folks looking to jump ship from another brand or buy a dSLR in this price range.
Because there are consumers willing to buy it at that price. It looks like Pentax is engaging in a form of price discrimination. There exists a number of American customers who are willing to buy the camera at $1,600. If Pentax sold it for less than that, they would not be maximizing their profits. When the $1,600 market is saturated, Pentax can lower the price and go after the next tier of consumers. Given their small market size, this may be the only way Pentax can hope to make a decent profit on this camera, since they're not going to sell large numbers of an advanced DSLR that primarily appeals to their small enthusiast base.