And 2 new lens that complement the above

Well
For f''ks sake
Pentax seem to have achieved it

09-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 will likely end up being a big hit, as will the K-r. I hope this gives Pentax its long-deserved success.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
Successfully!

I think they applied this to "Pentax"

"Cameras" - we shall see

645D = good

APSC
Deliver us 2 new cameras that are state of the art

Well
For f''ks sake
Very nice to hear something positive from someone, to break the norm around here

It makes me happy only to read your post!

BTW, im positive about the announcments to! I really feel that i need both lenses! Will have to sell something.....

Thumbs up for OP!
09-27-2010, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

They were certainly whipping something on their spec sheets and press releases.

09-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by climbertrev Quote
Successfully!

I think they applied this to "Pentax"

"Cameras" - we shall see

645D = good

APSC
Deliver us 2 new cameras that are state of the art

Well
For f''ks sake
couldn't agree more. Pentax make good cameras, my K10d still takes good pictures....actually at iso 100 it takes phenominal pictures, and it's 5 years old
09-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 Indeed this kind of cheerful comments is hard to come by. Some have decided to move on (if not already) to the other camp; however, some of us are still hanging around to get in on K-5 or K-r at the price points we are comfortable with and yet others are in "wait-and-see" status.
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope the new marketing firm Pentax just hired would do a fantastic job... Pentax really needs it.... I know Pentax deserves it

09-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

a) I agree, I think the K-r in particular is a great move.
b) Was there a press release about the new marketing firm?
09-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
b) Was there a press release about the new marketing firm?

LINK
to news
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes but the multicoloured toy cameras in vending machines aren't available in Australia, Pentax are just cruel, not to mention making want to sell a kidney so I can get a 645d
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's still going to be a tough go Pentax with the 645D did present a product that showed up 35mm at the highest end (D3s, 1Ds etc) and the first low cost MF digital BUT since then Hasselblad and mamiya have bought similar "system kits" to market and they have modern lenses already in the market even if they have killer pricing you can still rent....pentax again has nothing but legacy glass and nothing modern in the eyes of potential users and none to speak of in the rental markets.

The Kr is the new K7 with Kx armour, i would say this is where they'll continue to grow a fan base of the masses strictly based on percieved dollar value and nothing more.

When the announcement of the 645D came around i started saving my pennies since then i've had time to reflect and look at the current competition and i'm now left battling my reasons to stay or not to stay with my original thoughts of going with the pentax 645D, Pentax has brought the battle to the competition but can they give them a good fight?

Do not get me wrong Pentax is still winning in my eyes on these fronts, weight and volume vs competition in the field is the primary feature followed up by reasonabably good dollar value BUT a final factor where many will decide on i think is performance or the perception of it's performace vs the competiton something the marketing group has to get out there to the masses and make it stick.
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ned points out that T1M has been selected to handle digital marketing as opposed to the larger scope that includes media relations, channel marketing (through retailers), events, and the other things we've been looking for Pentax to step up to.

Their print ads popped up everywhere for the K-X and, to a lesser extent, the K-7. The applause here was rather faint, I thought, given all the complaining earlier for just that coverage.

This is a good start into the next field but I would be happier to learn that Ned has been allowed to make major changes in US marketing, particularly via the retail channel. Like getting into Samy's in SoCal.

Ned??
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Considering Pentax were on the verge of greatness with the K-7, only to be let down by the Samsung sensor, especially compared with the K-x, I think the K-7 will be another hit. And the AF. Another TIPA award under their belt.

But with a BSI Sony sensor, well. In-body SR? Check. Quiet, fast shutter? Check. Insanely fast Live View AF? Check.

And even I was amazed that Pentax pull a new AF system from...somewhere. I'm eagerly awaiting tests on that, but it seems a complete reinvigoration, if not reinvention, of the SAFOX system.

The price is the only niggle, as is the traditional lack of marketing. The price will come down, and I hope they can undercut the D7000, since that's what everyone seems to be comparing it to.
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #14

As most people have said; the price is the key.

At $1,600 it will NOT do well, no matter how good it is. They could win a HUGE market share if it came in at under $1,000... just like the K-x which blew away the competition in specs AND price.

From what I've read, the price is pretty competitive in Japan and Europe. Maybe those are the markets they want to win over?
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Raylon

At $1000 I would have been sold. But at $1600, I jumped for the Canon 7D + PIXMA Pro9000 combo for $10 more. I will still be watching Pentax, but, I just don't see what is that fantastic about the K-5 compared to other current models.