Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well this is an extension of the K-5 praise thread - only it's for more generic Pentax praise.
I don't see a price failure here - well in keeping with previous flagship models and competition. If someone wants a 7D ahead of a K-5, then go for it. I'm sure I'm not alone in believing the K-5 to be a better long-term investment than the 7D or D7000.

09-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Well, I for one will be scraping together whatever I need and whatever it takes to acquire a K5 around the first of the year- and I can't wait!
09-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ShadZee Quote
From what I've read, the price is pretty competitive in Japan and Europe. Maybe those are the markets they want to win over?
Vanbar, one of Aus's more dedicated camera stores, has it tentatively listed at $1379AU, which should mean it'll be a bit cheaper in the US.

However, someone on another forum said that it's only a tentative, pre-order price, and if the price goes up, anyone who's pre-ordered will have to option to cancel it.
09-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have already made up my mind.... and will be upgrading my old K10D early next year... (for me, photographing birds, the K5 is a quantum leap)

09-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Vanbar, one of Aus's more dedicated camera stores, has it tentatively listed at $1379AU, which should mean it'll be a bit cheaper in the US.

However, someone on another forum said that it's only a tentative, pre-order price, and if the price goes up, anyone who's pre-ordered will have to option to cancel it.
That's wierd. Put a price on a product, allow people to pre-order, then hike the price up later. Why bother with a tentative price if they're unable to follow through on it?
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't understand how people expect to get ground breaking technology for less than the entry price of the last camera that wasn't even close to leading the current technology. The K-5 is every bit or more the equal to the 7D or D300s, and should be priced accordingly. It cost's money to make cameras. Everyone says if it was les than $100 they would have got one, but they won't for $1600. If Subaru started selling new cars at $15,000 a ton of people would buy those too. But Subaru would still go out of business...
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
+1 Indeed this kind of cheerful comments is hard to come by. Some have decided to move on (if not already) to the other camp; however, some of us are still hanging around to get in on K-5 or K-r at the price points we are comfortable with and yet others are in "wait-and-see" status.
I also considered changing the whole system, because I had no confidence that Pentax can stay in the game. It seemed to me that there was no sense buying new lenses and other accessories unless something really big and exciting happens....well, I must say that K-5 and K-r really look promising. Suddenly Pentax looks like a real player in the dslr game, and I like that. Gives me the feeling that Pentax actually cares about their costumers, and this is a good feeling.

09-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I don't understand how people expect to get ground breaking technology for less than the entry price of the last camera that wasn't even close to leading the current technology. The K-5 is every bit or more the equal to the 7D or D300s, and should be priced accordingly.
Being Pentax, You cannot sell an even much better Camera technically, at the same price from a larger named rival than a lesser one. The only way for Pentax to win new users to the K-5 over the D7000, D300, & 7D & 60D is to offer it a lesser price with more features.

It's the same for any small company, you have to give more bang for buck, or you simply won't sell.

Pentax need to do the numbers, but my gut would say if you don't undercut the D7000 the extra profit you make from the people that do buy at the full RRP, will not come close to the amount you would gain if you sold it for the lesser price than the D7000.

It's a matter of either selling few @ full profit, or more at a lesser profit.... I have no doubt the latter is a much smarter way forward for Pentax to make more money of the K-5.
09-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
It's a matter of either selling few @ full profit, or more at a lesser profit.... I have no doubt the latter is a much smarter way forward for Pentax to make more money of the K-5.
This is just going with the flow of modern commercial practice. There is this notion that Pentax has to 'get with it' and do as the big boys do to survive/thrive/whatever. Throughout history, has Pentax veered far away from their unique niche and smaller target audience?

Such is the same issue with the perception that marketing needs to be done a certain way. Pentax make no illusions about their tactics:

09-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's wierd. Put a price on a product, allow people to pre-order, then hike the price up later. Why bother with a tentative price if they're unable to follow through on it?
Bait and switch, without the switch? I don't know why, either. Maybe CRK themselves ain't sure.
09-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I don't understand how people expect to get ground breaking technology for less than the entry price of the last camera that wasn't even close to leading the current technology. The K-5 is every bit or more the equal to the 7D or D300s, and should be priced accordingly. It cost's money to make cameras. Everyone says if it was les than $100 they would have got one, but they won't for $1600. If Subaru started selling new cars at $15,000 a ton of people would buy those too. But Subaru would still go out of business...
Gee I didn't know that the K5 had already been tested head to head in every category with the 7D.................

We do know though that many users of the renowned 1dMK111 were quite happy to "downgrade" to a 7D and that is quite a testimonial.

I think we should wait for the "actual" shoot outs before we can comment the the K5 is the "king"
09-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
^^ Ash that's really really dreadful advertising. No wonder it was dropped. The Pentax USP is rugged, value for money cameras. Always better to be positive than negative in ads.
09-28-2010, 04:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
LINK to news
Aha! Thanks. Cautiously optimistic!

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
making want to sell a kidney so I can get a 645d
I handled one for the first time yesterday. Just plain great to hold, everything felt right .. noticeably better than the old 645 film gear. The AF was surprisingly fast. Holding it back to back with the K-r, I noticed that the viewfinder is literally twice the size of the one in the K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
And even I was amazed that Pentax pull a new AF system from...somewhere. I'm eagerly awaiting tests on that, but it seems a complete reinvigoration, if not reinvention, of the SAFOX system.
Haven't held the K5 yet but if it's anything like the K-r we're in for a treat. The AF in the K-r was downright shocking. I tracked someone walking toward me with the shutter release half-down and didn't even notice its smooth glide to keep the person in focus. Same with quick drops to the counter or the overhead lights and back to a ten-meter distant wall, or walking over the array of bodies sitting on the counter. I'm not an AF person but for once I was impressed. Someone referred to the K-r being like Canon's low-end cameras but it's just not true. They're little better than the __useless__ AF in my *DS.
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShadZee Quote
As most people have said; the price is the key.

At $1,600 it will NOT do well, no matter how good it is. They could win a HUGE market share if it came in at under $1,000... just like the K-x which blew away the competition in specs AND price.

From what I've read, the price is pretty competitive in Japan and Europe. Maybe those are the markets they want to win over?
Sure and it would be an even bigger hit if it came in at less than $750.00, but Pentax/Hoya is no longer in the business of selling at a loss.
FWIW, I got initial pricing from my pusher yesterday and it is significantly lower than $1600.00.
10-02-2010, 07:23 AM   #30
Forum Member

Here is my 2 cents worth. Pentax has done a great job technically with the 3 new cameras (Kr, K5, 645D). The weak area is the marketing. They need to tell the world about the new cameras and the features.
Also they somehow need to tackle the lack of Pentax equipment in stores. When people are going to spend significant money on a camera and a set of lenses, I think they need to be able to touch and feel the equipment. I think this is especially true for new buyers.
Pentax needs to get store sales staff on their side so they are not just selling Canon and Nikon.