Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I think its time for someone to spill the beans on the ISO 80 sample that gordon got a hold of.
Doesn anyone know where it is. Who posted it and whre can I get my hands on it.
You and me both!

10-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
as i understand things these aren't the same chips as in different cameras - they are made by sony but with some modifications as per pentax's instructions - hence why cameras like the d7000 can have lesser base iso range while still using a 16mp sony chip

but seeing that the k5 has the best dynamic range of any camera so far is amazing

think that will tip the balance and tempt people into buying that weren't already considering it (should it be proven correct anyway)
ISO80 is not a natve ISO option, its a 1/3EV over-exposed-and-pulled ISO100 shot, hence why it is not listed in the native ISO range of 100-12800. While this will result in slightly less overall noise (particularly in shadows), it will also result in less headroom in the highlights.
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
ISO80 is not a natve ISO option, its a 1/3EV over-exposed-and-pulled ISO100 shot, hence why it is not listed in the native ISO range of 100-12800. While this will result in slightly less overall noise (particularly in shadows), it will also result in less headroom in the highlights.
If I found myself in a situation where its easy to use Iso 80 and not blow highlights then I would use it. Simply because its a form of ETTR (exposing to the right). We all know its an extended ISO. But as with the K-x which had a "native" ISO of 200 people still used it, and found the real native Iso is somewhere around 140. not 200. Who knows what real ISO lurks in the Sony chip. It could be Iso 90... .....
Anyway, if it does not blow and does not flatten the highlights too much then using it will be useful for some.
10-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It means Falk studied Physics. Or Mathematics. Or Engineering.
Ummm. I recall that he (successfully) studied at least the first two and he practiced the third.

10-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been looking for theard that dealt specifically with DR and the K5 because I am currently shooting with K7 that has an all time low in this area. I can really tell the difference from the K20 and K10 in which I was able to pull a lot more detail out in certain condition.
I absolutely love my K7 compared to the two previous cameras as far as ergonomics, metering and AF but the low DR kills it.
I am definitely looking to upgrade sometime in mid spring.

Last edited by OrenMc; 10-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.