Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Sometimes though I just don't listen to myself...
We never do.....we never do

09-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, thank you Falk for a very thorough summary of the K5. Having someone like yourself on the ground there really is beter than me being there myself, since there is no way that I would have been able to touch on all the things that you analyzed there.

I definitely think that the sensor is exciting. I love shooting with the K7 already -- it just feels better to shoot with than my K20 and if the few quibbles are fixed on it, it could be "the last camera" I "need" for quite awhile (and I bought a K100, K10, K20 and K7).

As someone from the other camp did, once they got the 5D MKII/D700, their CBA will/should be cured. For me, the k5 (next purchase) will likely cure my CBA for a long time.
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
As someone from the other camp did, once they got the 5D MKII/D700, their CBA will/should be cured. For me, the k5 (next purchase) will likely cure my CBA for a long time.
Who really knows? But, I would probably focus more on lenses, for awhile, anyway (nothing wrong with replacing CBA with LBA, is there)?
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #34
bfo

Oh, the camera is beginning to shape up.
DR seems to be very promising, DFS seems to be controllable, memory buffer is still uncertain, and how about shutter blur?

I'm very close to hitting the pre-order button (price is acceptable in Sweden, especially for the rest of this month (a short time offer)). But I told myself to wait for dxomark and other test/reviews, to have patience, be cool, wait for the bugs to be ironed out. Sometimes though I just don't listen to myself...

What is the price in sweden? do you have a link?

09-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I assume the K5 is utilizing the Sony Exmor HD sensor?

I now have quite a bit of experience with the Sony Exmor R sensor which is in the HX5v and it has amazing DR for a teeny sensor, noise up to ISO 640 is neglible.

It can handle radicle curve adjustments & usm with neglible increase in noise up to ISO640 and cleans up very well

I'm also very impressed with the natural accurate colour it produces.

So bearing this in mind I can only imagine what the exmor HD can produce!
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bfo Quote
What is the price in sweden? do you have a link?

Best price (same as for d7000)
CyberPhoto - Digitalkameror, videokameror och fototillbehör. Personlig service på nätet!
09-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

That's a good price, slightly below the best Norwegian price I've seen so far (but how much is swedish VAT again?).

I had to laugh when I saw their recommendations for accessories - they recommended two different Canon L lens coffee mugs

09-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
THANK YOU Falk for this great preview. I was a bit afraid that you wouldn't come back after the drama (not your fault) in the other unfairly closed thread.
OT: Yeah, what a joke that was huh?
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the paragraph in question applies to anybody familiar with the way DxO measures dynamic range.

For everybody else, it means that as far as Dynamic Range is concerned, if Gordon's preliminary impression prevails (a big if!), then the K-5 (and D7000 too probably) perform in one league with medium format CCD cameras and are only beaten by Finepix S3/5 Pro and D3X.
I have lenses that have EV scales on them as well as a f-stop scale . I have a one-degree spot meter that reads in EV. And in both cases when I turn the dial on the light meter and turn the aperture on the lenses, the EVs correspond to stops. That is, one stop change = 1 EV change. The prescience seems well established in photography for what 10, 11 or say 13EV means in light range based on the past.

So what is this other Dx0 standard? Does 1EV = 1 stop of light in that system?
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So what is this other Dx0 standard? Does 1EV = 1 stop of light in that system?
DxO uses EV in the same way.

But if you measure dynamic range, you must define what quality in the dark areas you deem acceptable. And at what image size.

DxO accepts darks which have 50% noise and 50% signal when resized to 8MP (0dB SNR). Most photographers aren't at ease there and would probably subtract 3 stops from DxO figures. Doesn't matter though as it is all relative.

Point is that K-5 will most likely end up in the 13.x DxO EV range with non-zero chance to become the new #1 (I wouldn't bet on it though ...).
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Point is that K-5 will most likely end up in the 13.x DxO EV range with non-zero chance to become the new #1 (I wouldn't bet on it though ...).
What does " non-zero chance" mean...?
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It means the chance of it being number 1 is NOT zero. In other words it has a chance, even if unlikely.
10-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What does " non-zero chance" mean...?
It means Falk studied Physics. Or Mathematics. Or Engineering.
10-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #44
Pentaxian

DxO uses EV in the same way.

But if you measure dynamic range, you must define what quality in the dark areas you deem acceptable. And at what image size.

DxO accepts darks which have 50% noise and 50% signal when resized to 8MP (0dB SNR). Most photographers aren't at ease there and would probably subtract 3 stops from DxO figures. Doesn't matter though as it is all relative.

Thanks very much.
10-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I think its time for someone to spill the beans on the ISO 80 sample that gordon got a hold of.
Doesn anyone know where it is. Who posted it and whre can I get my hands on it.