Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way to go Pentax!! (with a side of in your face Nikon.) I hope they sell these cameras by the boxcarload.

Say, my guess about the "Pentax couple" is .. the couple from that unwatchable video?

Love the hilarity in this thread about our self-immolation as Pentax enthusiasts. Keep it coming!

09-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
You lost me here, Mike. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate an explanation, even in form of PM.
The Broom Cupboard is the fully-featured, high-tech studio Pentax uses to record is product promo videos:

I'd just like to say that neither I nor Pentax are responsible for any self-harm to eyes or ears you inflict during and/or after the watching of that video.
09-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The infamous K-5 1st video.....
Don't knock them too hard....I think they might have received the camera just 5 minutes before the video shoot, and just reading from a hastily prepared script...

The K-5 is looking like an awesome camera, but the Public Relations side just wasn't ready for Prime Time...
09-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
on that note, other cameras that are also awarded Photokina *Star* award.

Fujifilm Finepix X100
Samsung NX100
Sony SLT-A55V
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2

I wonder just what was it about the 60D or the D3100/D7000 that they did not make the list?

09-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
on that note, other cameras that are also awarded Photokina *Star* award.

Fujifilm Finepix X100
Samsung NX100
Sony SLT-A55V
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2

I wonder just what was it about the 60D or the D3100/D7000 that they did not make the list?
I am actually a little surprised that the K5 did make the list. Didn't seem like there was that much new as compared to the K7, just a whole lot better sensor. But I guess there really aren't that many new features in the 60D or D7000 cameras either. I guess auto focus with video, but I think the A55 does a better job with that. I think that Pentax makes a hit because of their packaging -- small and very well built.
09-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
The Broom Cupboard is the fully-featured, high-tech studio Pentax uses to record is product promo videos:
(sobbing) make it stop! Seriously, can anyone get past the 30 second mark? I passed that on to my buddy who works in a neighbouring city for Sony's camera division. I could hear the laughing on the breeze.

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Fujifilm Finepix X100
Well, sure!
09-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No reward for Canon/Nikon... Interesting.

09-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, good to hear
09-28-2010, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Breaking news: Star award retracted

2010 September 26

In an unprecedented move, Photokina representatives have retracted the Star award recently awarded to the Pentax K-5 at the 2010 edition of the show. Chair of the Star Selection Committee, Lowe Crumplerberger, was quoted as saying, "The Pentax K-5, by all appearances, seems to a be a significant improvement upon the K-7, and more importantly, a viable alternative to offerings by other manufacturers. Many on the selection committee shared this view, and lauded Pentax on taking this path.

"However, after announcing the Star award, it has come to our attention that ten or perhaps fifteen people on PentaxForums.com are dissatisfied with the specifications of the camera as well as Pentax's inability to control rumors and misinformation being spread on the Internet. In light of this, and despite the considered opinions of the industry and press, we must regretfully retract the Star Award. The camera is crap."
09-28-2010, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am actually a little surprised that the K5 did make the list. Didn't seem like there was that much new as compared to the K7, just a whole lot better sensor. But I guess there really aren't that many new features in the 60D or D7000 cameras either. I guess auto focus with video, but I think the A55 does a better job with that. I think that Pentax makes a hit because of their packaging -- small and very well built.
Its responses like this that mystify me. How anyone can consider a completely different sensor and af system as just an upgrade doesn't compute. Just because the new camera shares the magnesium shell with the K-7 as well as some of the interface doesn't mean they are the same camera. With a different, higher mp and ISO sensor, it has to be a different beast, never mind the new af. Furthermore, both have the magnesium shell in the front whereas the Nikon K-7 wannabe has it in the back with plastic in the front.
09-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
2010 September 26

In an unprecedented move, Photokina representatives have retracted the Star award recently awarded to the Pentax K-5 at the 2010 edition of the show. Chair of the Star Selection Committee, Lowe Crumplerberger, was quoted as saying, "The Pentax K-5, by all appearances, seems to a be a significant improvement upon the K-7, and more importantly, a viable alternative to offerings by other manufacturers. Many on the selection committee shared this view, and lauded Pentax on taking this path.

"However, after announcing the Star award, it has come to our attention that ten or perhaps fifteen people on PentaxForums.com are dissatisfied with the specifications of the camera as well as Pentax's inability to control rumors and misinformation being spread on the Internet. In light of this, and despite the considered opinions of the industry and press, we must regretfully retract the Star Award. The camera is crap."

kick
09-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
And that's a good thing - but it seems to me that the tide of negativity is starting to turn (knock on wood)

The Nikon D7000 was notably NOT named among the 12 illustrious products receiving the award
Perhaps Nikon was not chosen because their new camera is certainly a clone of the K-7 with a new sensor. Seems that Nikon is chasing Pentax. Therefore Pentax deserves the award as the leader and not the follower in the technology. As for Canon, it looks like they have dropped the ball once again with the launch of the 60d. It can't compare with either the new Nikon Camera or the K5. On the other hand they have been announcing bucket loads of new lenses that make me envious.

Last edited by bobell69; 09-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.
09-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is really terrific news! Pentax should celebrate by offering it with a 2year warranty. Seriously--it would be a great way to leverage the triumph.
09-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
This is really terrific news! Pentax should celebrate by offering it with a 2year warranty. Seriously--it would be a great way to leverage the triumph.
That's a good idea only make it a 1 + 2 = 3 yr thing like they were doing with the K20d.

Ned: Could you put down your D-Lux-5 or X1 and come over here a minute.
09-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
2010 September 26

You had me for a minute... By the time I made it to the end I was laughing violently.