Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #1

How do OOC K-5 JPGs look?

I'm seeing all the high ISO RAW tests but haven't seen any examples of a normal image JPG. What's the word?

Thanks

09-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
What's the word?
I think it's "Patience".
09-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
: )

09-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Note: any raw image needs to be at least demosaiced before anything resembling an image appears before our eyes. You can't see a raw image.

09-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
I'm seeing all the high ISO RAW tests but haven't seen any examples of a normal image JPG. What's the word?

Thanks

You have asked a question about the most over-rated quality. :-)

The camera has settings you can adjust to suit your taste, so "OOC" is nearly meaningless.
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You have asked a question about the most over-rated quality. :-)

The camera has settings you can adjust to suit your taste, so "OOC" is nearly meaningless.

Usually, but as a K10D owner I've used every conceivable combination of settings and not found one that I'm happy enough with, especially with only 'natural' and 'bright' for 'image tone' and sliders for saturation, sharpness and contrast to compensate. I generally have only shot RAW with it anyway, but there are still arguments about whether it's just a settings issue or a something more. I find the K10D JPG sharpening, when boosted for less of a soft image, to be slightly unpleasant. Some have said that it's because Pentax is using detail sharpening instead of edge sharpening. Don't know about that, but I would like to have had the option to choose because I'm just not crazy about it. Not horrendous, but it's not my taste. Also what I've seen is slightly less shadow detail compared to cranking out an unprocessed JPG using any other JPG converter I have in OSX. If I take a RAW + highest quality K10D JPG and create a JPG in anything EXCEPT the original Pentax software (all settings flat) the results are more pleasing to me in these two areas. I well understand the dynamic range of JPGs, but having seen what the JPG engine in the K10D does directly compared to others I basically abandoned it years ago, and I would like to go back to shooting the occasional day in high quality JPG when the circumstance allows.

Naturally I don't expect RAW quality dynamic range for any JPG and would rather NOT use any additional sharpening in camera, for but I'm afraid I'm in the camp of those who are vaguely not crazy about the JPGs that come out of this camera no matter what. Many are satisfied and claim it's just a matter of settings.

As far as what I posted about having just seen RAW examples of high ISOs, I was referring to close-up test shots of over the top ISO settings to show noise handling. Of course I understand that RAW isn't an image and needs to be converted to be viewed : ) I was merely asking if there were any shots posted yet that were scenic or portrait instead of blown up examinations of noise levels.

And I understand that it's so new there won't be anything. But I just finished looking over a slew of D7000 galleries (meaningless as it might be) and thought it would be nice to find out of a K-5 one out there : )