Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think they should just forget the big budget and just do a set of commercials with real people who actually use Pentax with them saying why they're not buying something more popular vs a Pentax. Take 25 normal people. Put them all on screen saying why Pentax works for them, show them taking the pic, then show the pic, then maybe add a shot with Pentax and all those colors and you'd have it done. You'd have the message across actually for very little.

3 major things that sell Pentax DSLR's...

1. They're good, fairly inexpensive cameras that take excellent pictures.

2. They're very easy to use compared to Canon or Nikon.

3. They're FUN. Say what you want about all those candy inspired colors, but they're a BIG part of why the K-x has been such a hit.

My biggest beef with most camera commercials is that they waste too much time talking about how "great" the brand is. I don't want to hear all about brand recognition. I want to SEE how great a shot that camera can take and I want to see real people using it.

If Pentax took just one dozen K-r's and they sent them around the world to normal people everywhere, like we do here with lenses and such, showed those people doing their thing and their best shots? They'd have one HECK of a convincing viral commercial IMHO.

Forget the shots of camera bodies taken like they were luxury cars on a showroom floor. Show me 25 random people taking really good shots of what really matters to THEM and that camera is already half sold to me. Show me people at work using them, show me friends having fun using them, show me those 25 people in the final commercial with 25 different colors of camera, a montage of their photos, grinning, and I'll consider the job of selling me a camera well done.

Pentax has always been the "people's" camera brand if you ask me. It's normal people who buy them and drive the market, but most of the time you see a commercial for one or a magazine ad, and all you see is a picture of the camera itself and a blurb about why it kicks arse, technically speaking. I don't want to see just a picture of a pretty camera. I want to see people USING said camera and I want to know why they REALLY bought it when they could have bought a Canikon, or whatever.

Anyway, that's what I think they should do. Probably I'm crazy, but take it for what it is, my 2 cents. I just don't think you need a big budget to sell cameras. You just need some people showing WHY they buy them, that's all.

09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I think they should just forget the big budget and just do a set of commercials with real people who actually use Pentax with them saying why they're not buying something more popular vs a Pentax. Take 25 normal people. Put them all on screen saying why Pentax works for them, show them taking the pic, then show the pic, then maybe add a shot with Pentax and all those colors and you'd have it done. You'd have the message across actually for very little.

3 major things that sell Pentax DSLR's...

1. They're good, fairly inexpensive cameras that take excellent pictures.

2. They're very easy to use compared to Canon or Nikon.

3. They're FUN. Say what you want about all those candy inspired colors, but they're a BIG part of why the K-x has been such a hit.

My biggest beef with most camera commercials is that they waste too much time talking about how "great" the brand is. I don't want to hear all about brand recognition. I want to SEE how great a shot that camera can take and I want to see real people using it.

If Pentax took just one dozen K-r's and they sent them around the world to normal people everywhere, like we do here with lenses and such, showed those people doing their thing and their best shots? They'd have one HECK of a convincing viral commercial IMHO.

Forget the shots of camera bodies taken like they were luxury cars on a showroom floor. Show me 25 random people taking really good shots of what really matters to THEM and that camera is already half sold to me. Show me people at work using them, show me friends having fun using them, show me those 25 people in the final commercial with 25 different colors of camera, a montage of their photos, grinning, and I'll consider the job of selling me a camera well done.

Pentax has always been the "people's" camera brand if you ask me. It's normal people who buy them and drive the market, but most of the time you see a commercial for one or a magazine ad, and all you see is a picture of the camera itself and a blurb about why it kicks arse, technically speaking. I don't want to see just a picture of a pretty camera. I want to see people USING said camera and I want to know why they REALLY bought it when they could have bought a Canikon, or whatever.

Anyway, that's what I think they should do. Probably I'm crazy, but take it for what it is, my 2 cents. I just don't think you need a big budget to sell cameras. You just need some people showing WHY they buy them, that's all.
Great idea. They could do auditions via the web and have, as criteria, the audition video must be done on a Pentax
09-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

to the hell with Nikon D7000, they need to compare K-5 with D300s and 7D, the D7000 should be one step below K-5 and a little better than K-r(for the build quality and material)....
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
I was looking at the preorder listings for the K5 and D7000 just now on B&H and clicked on the features tab. I was blown away from the write up Nikon got. It was like I was reading an adult book. While the K5 was lucky to get a paragraph or too. Maybe I should send my K5 money to someone else.
I think you answered you're own question. Give your money to a retailer that's sits comfortable with your ethics. Simples.

09-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Those that are going to buy Nikon are going to buy Nikon just because it's Nikon and because their friend who is a photographer shoots with nothing but Nikon. If anyone going in buying a camera with 1/2 a brain would have to decifer that dribble and compare actual spec's. I wouldn't scoff at what PENTAX has laid down either, not with such a solid lineup of specs to command attention. PENTAX is confident in what it has released, they just need to step it up with creative, in your face marketing.

Pentax steps up and delivers a top-of-the-line APS-C camera--the K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body
• Featuring a low-noise 16.3MP CMOS high resolution sensor
• Sensitivity up to a best-in-class ISO 51200
7 frames-per-second shooting capability
• A responsive, high-precision 11-point auto-focus system.
• A high performing PRIME II imaging engine produces rich-gradation, very high resolution digital images.
• An upgraded High Dynamic Range (HDR) function that can even be used without a tripod.
• Secure in the knowledge that the highly accurate 77-segment metering system will deliver the goods every time.
Shake Reduction image stabilization makes it possible to shoot at 2.5 to 4 shutter speeds slower without seeing camera shake in your photos. A lens is not included!
• And all of this photo goodness is packed into a body of sturdy, lightweight magnesium alloy on a chassis of stainless steel.
• The 77 special seals in the body give you a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant camera, for reliable operation in harsh conditions, at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C).
An extremely reliable shutter unit provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and is tested to 100,000 shutter releases.
A stellar performer!
09-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

What? B&H wrote that? Disgusting. And I thought of them as a serious store. I'm really happy they didn't write a cheap novel about the K-5, but just the facts. Please don't give them ideas!
09-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Nikon and Canon can afford to buy shelf space, to keep that shelf full the store has to push it as best they can but Pentax apparently doesn't play that game or doesn't play it very well. You can't blame/ point fingers at any one thing, it's Capitalism at work and the masses support it so look in the mirror and point there if you need to point somewhere

09-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Maybe they could make a virtue of Pentax being easily the most Japanese of the major camera brands. You almost have to turn yourself into Japanese to understand half of what Pentax say about their products since they don't seem to advertise much in the West. I expect some of those Zen monks are using coloured Kx's to photograph the cherry blossoms, not to mention crazy local housewives using Optios with a bright tartan faceplate.
09-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Sounds like that guy got so excited that he tested out the nikons weather sealing!
09-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Look into my eyes; look deep into my eyes... Oh, right - this is the Internet - You can't see my eyes. And even if you could, being the well-informed lover of photography that you are, you wouldn't need me to hypnotize you in order to believe all the wonders of Nikon's D7000 DSLR Camera, would you? No, of course you wouldn't.
If this is respect, I don't want it.
09-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Look into my eyes; look deep into my eyes... Oh, right - this is the Internet - You can't see my eyes. And even if you could, being the well-informed lover of photography that you are, you wouldn't need me to hypnotize you in order to believe all the wonders of Nikon's D7000 DSLR Camera, would you? No, of course you wouldn't.
I thought they were talking about Tamagotchi 7000
09-29-2010, 03:20 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Your camera does not need respect, your photography does.

Pentax name doesn't need respect also, because it already a legend for decades with it's lenses and film bodies. Don't forget the K10D in the legends list.
09-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that if I read that intro to the D7000, I probably would never get past the first paragraph. Shorter is really better for most people, in particular if they have done some research already on what product they need/want. The real selling point for many products is the product reviews from consumers. I put a whole lot more stock in those, than some canned ad-speak that is conjured up for an individual product.
09-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Life is not fair......we should all be used to it by now.
I would like to see Pentax take advantage of their weatheresealing with some nice ads in Field & Stream, NASCAR magazines and related magazines. Maybe a few short TV ads with a NFL fan in the stands in a snowstorm, firing away with his Pentax....or in the stands at a NASCAR race during a rain break.....
"The rain may have stopped the race...but not my Pentax"

Once you get a hold in those markets, you are headed for a home run......it is entirely possible, but it does take money to make money...that has never changed.
Regards!
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Pentax steps up and delivers a top-of-the-line APS-C camera--the K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body
• Featuring a low-noise 16.3MP CMOS high resolution sensor
D7000 has the same sensor
• Sensitivity up to a best-in-class ISO 51200
are you sure that we need softwaring ISO51200 with absolutely bad IQ
7 frames-per-second shooting capability
• A responsive, high-precision 11-point auto-focus system.
D7000 has 39 AF points, 3D trackin with tethering focus
• A high performing PRIME II imaging engine produces rich-gradation,
it's the same old processor from K-7
very high resolution digital images.
• An upgraded High Dynamic Range (HDR) function that can even be used without a tripod.
• Secure in the knowledge that the highly accurate 77-segment metering system will deliver the goods every time.
it's the same K-7's metering
Shake Reduction image stabilization makes it possible to shoot at 2.5 to 4 shutter speeds slower without seeing camera shake in your photos. A lens is not included!
it's the same in K-7
• And all of this photo goodness is packed into a body of sturdy, lightweight magnesium alloy on a chassis of stainless steel.
it's the same K-7
• The 77 special seals in the body give you a dustproof, weather-resistant and cold-resistant camera, for reliable operation in harsh conditions, at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C).
the same K-7
An extremely reliable shutter unit provides a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and is tested to 100,000 shutter releases.
D7000 has 150 000 shutter

A stellar performer!

See above