Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Ogl. Take this to the bashing thread, please. You are just noise here.

09-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #32
ogl
Banned

I simply don't like blind fans...It's not bashing.
09-30-2010, 12:09 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to see Nikon copying the K-7. Nice work.
09-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #34
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Good to see Nikon copying the K-7. Nice work.
and make K-7 better.

09-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I simply don't like blind fans...It's not bashing.
I think you don't understand the purpose of this topic at all. The author you were replying to made a better description of the K-5 for B&H's product page; but instead of adding something constructive you spammed a lot of Nikon specs through it. What's the purpose of that? I don't see any fan-blindness at all.

OGL, please read the whole topic first before posting. There's nothing constructive in what you have added to the K-5's description. Please refrain from such posts in the future. Thanks!
09-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

See above
Ogl, as Asahiflex said, you seemed to have missed the reasoning of my post. It's obvious you're completely unsatisfied with the K-5. I've seen the same reaction from others when the K20D and K-7 hit the market causing a lot of people to 'wait for the next model'. The K-5 is enough for most, myself included, to upgrade.

For the spec's you mentioned "it's the same in K-7" are prominent selling features of PENTAX. How or why should they upgrade the WR, SR, HDR and 77 segment metering system, lightweight magnesium alloy + stainless steel chassis and the PRIME II imaging engine that seems to deliver results, even in the 645D.

So, I'm left scratching my head to what you dislike so much...

- Same Sensor CHECK. So far from beta firmware photos it's a winner.

- 51200 ISO. Might have bad IQ but it's there and can be cleaned up. If the K-5 can pull off better IQ and noise control at similar ISO to the D7000 then +1 for PENTAX. If the K-5 never had that option and the D7000 did I'm sure we'd see a lot of haters in this camp, "Wow, looks like Nikon was able to push that sensor further... another PENTAX sucks moment" but that didn't happen.

- 39 vs 11 focus points may certainly be a sway feature but most would wait until a review to see which delivers and if there's really much of a difference. 7000 is larger than 5 so it must be better.

- The 3D tracking and more so tethering focus or lack there of, if confirmed in the final release, seems to be the biggest downfall. Can't say I've used it but would be nice to know it's there in case.

- As for the shutter, it was only tested to 100,000, the D7000 150,000 cycle tested. Big deal. Your warranty will probably be long gone if either fail. It's not a 100,000 shutter powertrain warranty. I may have hit 50,000 on my K100D but most of that is preview shots. Most would have upgraded long before seeing 100,000+

The only thing you didn't comment on was the 7 FPS. If the D7000 trumped it we'd see another PENTAX bashing thread for sure but thankfully that's not the case. I guess pointing out the same ol' boring features the K-7 was well endowed with that you certainly wouldn't use was better noting.

Neither camera will be perfect, you just need to pick the lesser of two evils. I used to be a hater, always thinking "Why, why, why", when are we going to see some decent change. Then I gave up. It's just a camera, piece of electronics. In 12-18months all the bad talk won't matter as something new will hit the streets. If the K-5 was less progressive in what it is so far I'd be buying into another system. Thankfully, I'll be sticking around.
09-30-2010, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Back to topic:

Someone at Nikon presented B&H with extensive publication-ready copy, however much we do or do not like the style. B&H gratefully published it on the site.

Pentax ...... chose to provide something else. Less. Maybe no more than a spec sheet and press release - neither written or formatted for the B&H Web site.

What do we think would B&H do? Let's not knock B&H - they cannot make bricks without straw.

Add: Just saw Amazon site. Good info that's clearly labeled as being from Pentax. Nicely done. Now .... why not other sites?

OTOH, we should remember that this camera is aimed at photographers who understand the implications of the specs. I could easily expand the Pentax info but selling to a technical audience (which is, after all, those of us who use mid-range and above cameras) is a delicate balance between explanation and BS.

Last edited by glanglois; 09-30-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Add'l Info
09-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

See above
I think you missed some of the biggest changes......have you seen the high ISO shots? It is what a very many of us asked for in a body like the K7.....and we Got It....and a lot More!

I would first have to assume that the K7 is not an outstanding camera....with that small exception on the high ISO shooting, when all the facts bear out that the K7 is a top rated camera with most all critics in the camera field. The Nikon has its shortcomings....go over to DPR and listen to them whine.....so no one is ever going to be satisfied 100%, but I am going to be damn close with the K5, and I won't be in short company either. This camera is going to be a First Class Winner for Pentax...I can feel it in my bones, and my bones are old enough to have a lot of experience.
If the Nikon suits you, they do sell them you know? For me, I want the Best Camera, and it is clearly the K5 in my eyes.
Best Regards!
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
What? B&H wrote that? Disgusting. And I thought of them as a serious store. I'm really happy they didn't write a cheap novel about the K-5, but just the facts. Please don't give them ideas!
I really don't know, but I suspect that Nikon and Pentax wrote those descriptions, not B & H.
09-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #40
Inactive Account

you should also compare how Nikon presented the D7000 in their web site compared to Pentax on the k5.

For a newbie, which camera will they say WOW to? obviously the one that was presented better.

this just shows how differently the marketing department of both companies work.
i don't think B&H wrote that. that's probably something from Nikon's marketing department. Same w/ pentax
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why wouldn't B&H gush over the D7000? They'll sell 5 or 6 for every Pentax they sell, and easier. Nobody that's not already among the converted is looking at a K-5. Become a small, niche player, get less respect.

I was in B&H right after the Km was launched, handled it, thought about buying it, but didn't want another kit lens, so I asked the guy behind the counter about buying just the body. The guy basically launches into a trirade about how Pentax wouldn't let them split the kits, and despite basically begging them and losing sales, wouldn't let B&H sell them in the manner that would move more product. If I were a retailer, and some two bit player was dictating how I could push their product, I'd box their stuff and give the floor space to the brands people actually buy.
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #42
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
don't blame B&H. Blame Pentax marketing!
you don't expect the folks from B&H to do a write up for pentax. that's the job of the company's marketing dept.
Correct. All that text, Nikon and Pentax alike, came from the manufacturer.
10-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Sounds like that guy got so excited that he tested out the nikons weather sealing!
hope he had some lense tissues handy...even so, so much for that floor demo!!
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #44
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Better yet, post this question in the Ask B&H Photo forum right here on PF
Which is where I will post my reply.
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #45
Inactive Account

and the reply is...

"The fact is we got reams of information from Nikon USA well before the camera was released and this gave us ample information and time to prepare an extensive writeup.

By contrast we got nothing from Pentax USA other than what they'd posted on their site and and this became available just before our recent week-long Sukkot hiatus."

Pentax marketing... "asleep at the shutter"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/115101-k-5-pricing-mar...#ixzz11Q42Yt3H

i don't know if pentax has ANY vision of the future or how they intend to relay that Vision to their user base and would-be users.

certainly, their marketing is just that, sleeping.

i've had 5 pentax dslrs and holding on to 2.
don't know if i'll end up this year with 2 systems.
i want to move forward, up-stream whatever you call it.
i don't see pentax providing that, at least not today, not in photokina 2010.

*sigh*

Last edited by opiedog; 10-04-2010 at 12:25 PM.