09-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what not to put users modes to the mode dial? like this

09-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
How about K-r (so much info about K-5, so little about K-r...)?
kr gets no respect. all attention is on big bro k5
09-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think it will be hard to fit all 10 modes + 5 user modes on the small dial on Pentax K-5.
09-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Very simple, because Pentax camera's have many more useful modes and there wouldn't be enough room for 4 extra modes (next to the one USER setting there is now).

Wim

09-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
cool so we can make seetings like this

C1: portrait
C2: landscape
C3: sport
C4: beach/snow
C5: museum

does it remind you something ?
Hahahahaha.
09-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Very simple, because Pentax camera's have many more useful modes and there wouldn't be enough room for 4 extra modes (next to the one USER setting there is now).

Wim
Wim,

if you put video where it belongs (a separate button) and allow green mode to act like a user mode too, then there is enough room for 4 user modes on the dial w/o making it have more stops.
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Wim,

if you put video where it belongs (a separate button) and allow green mode to act like a user mode too, then there is enough room for 4 user modes on the dial w/o making it have more stops.
The comparison cameras in question to not have as many modes. E.g., the canon has 3 on the dial, but does not have SV and TAv, or green (never mind video).

In other words, with only 1 user mode, the pentax model actually has more modes than the Canon in question.'

Although I would like more user modes on the dial, it would get cluttered. A good solution would be for one of the buttons on the body to double as a "user shift", so you hold down that button and roll the dial to change user modes. That way we can skip the menus *ugh*.
09-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Wim,

I fully agree about the video mode not belonging on the dial BTW. I would even find it better to have it under the Lv button (with possibility to toggle between live view and movie mode), instead of adding another button. Perhaps that's just because I don't use either much? Not sure about the green mode. Indeed I used the USER mode as a Dummy setting instead of the green mode on my K-7, so for me it can go too.

So, Video=1, green mode=2, current USER=3, where do you find the existing position to put the 4th without sacrificing another mode? Of course, having 3 modes is better than just one indeed.

But, with all USER modes on the dial, it would not be possible to name them, or at least not without extra confirmation on another display so you would have to take your eye away from the VF anyway. I know myself well enough to know that I won't necessarily remember which USER mode I configured for what, so having names for the USER modes is very useful to me.

Regardless, I like having these 4 extra USER modes as it was implemented now.

Wim

09-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wim,

But unless they put an lcd screen or epaper on the dial, you couldn't assign mnemonic labels to them.
09-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
So, Video=1, green mode=2, current USER=3, where do you find the existing position to put the 4th without sacrificing another mode?
Wim,

the mode dial has 12 stops at a clock's hour positions. Except that now the video stop occupied 2 stops at a half hour position. So, removing the video mode frees up two additional positions.

The missing label could display on the top LCD, or you give the four modes colors (green, yellow, blue, red). Most people can easily associate colors with situations (e.g., landscape, indoor, action, portrait).

Or you could make banks of four user settings each where each bank is selected on the rear LCD. A bank would stay valid for an entire day's occupation (outdoor) and you could switch quickly between typical situations occuring throughout the day. Another day another bank (fashion). Each label/bank would still have its mnemonic display on the rear LCD. You get the idea ...

I don't say I don't like what Pentax did with the K-5 or even that I like my above proposal better.

I only wanted to showcase the possibilities with the given K-5 hardware.
09-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I agree that the video mode is not in the best place. I'm ok with it being on the dial. But it's location in reference to the other options annoys me. Most advanced photographers spend the M or Av mode. I spend very little time in anything else, and I find it poor placement that M and Av aren't next to each other, and even worse that Video is as far from them as possible on the dial.
09-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
From: Happy report from Photokina 2010: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It could be a coincidence, but:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90394-user-mode-id...provement.html

Either Pentax is listening, which is awesome, or else they're making these sensible incremental improvements just because they're good ideas, which is also awesome.

I've always been impressed by the number of little software-based refinements Pentax makes from model to model the "live preview" of WB settings, more JPG quality settings, custom filename prefixes, etc., etc. They're not headline features, but they really add up. I'm glad to see that the pattern holds with this model.
FYI this sort of stuff isn't a rumor any more, so let's start posting K-5 threads in the DSLR section from now on!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: