Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5: multiple user modes!

From: Happy report from Photokina 2010: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
5 USER settings. Cannot emphasise enough how much I like this touch! The 5 settings can be suitably renamed and selected easily. For me this finally makes the USER setting really useful!
It could be a coincidence, but:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90394-user-mode-id...provement.html

Either Pentax is listening, which is awesome, or else they're making these sensible incremental improvements just because they're good ideas, which is also awesome.

I've always been impressed by the number of little software-based refinements Pentax makes from model to model — the "live preview" of WB settings, more JPG quality settings, custom filename prefixes, etc., etc. They're not headline features, but they really add up. I'm glad to see that the pattern holds with this model.

09-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
From: Happy report from Photokina 2010: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90394-user-mode-id...provement.html

Either Pentax is listening, which is awesome, or else they're making these sensible incremental improvements just because they're good ideas, which is also awesome.

I've always been impressed by the number of little software-based refinements Pentax makes from model to model — the "live preview" of WB settings, more JPG quality settings, custom filename prefixes, etc., etc. They're not headline features, but they really add up. I'm glad to see that the pattern holds with this model.
Wow, I like it.. if there is firmware upgrade for k-7, that's even better.
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

how many does the d5000 have? 2 i think. k5 has this one
edit. i mean d7000,

Last edited by opiedog; 09-29-2010 at 04:37 AM.
09-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Agreed, this feature sounds incredibly useful

09-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh snap! 5 user setting would seriously be useful.
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
how many does the d5000 have? 2 i think. k5 has this one
The D5000 has zero. The D7000 has two, but there's a slight advantage since they're actually physical dial positions. (Canon puts three on the dial.) I think I'd call this a toss-up overall: some people will prefer physical dial access to fewer settings, while others will prefer having more options available even if you need to pick from a menu (combined with the advantage of giving the modes memorable names).
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember, a while back, when everyone was "complaining", including myself, about this User Mode?
Remember when we were all asking to squeeze in more than one or two configurations?
Now we have it!!

But wait!
It is inevitable that someone, some day, will complain about that new feature as well.

Overall, people should be pleased with the K5; seems like one heck of a camera to me.

JP

09-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D5000 has zero. The D7000 has two, but there's a slight advantage since they're actually physical dial positions. (Canon puts three on the dial.) I think I'd call this a toss-up overall: some people will prefer physical dial access to fewer settings, while others will prefer having more options available even if you need to pick from a menu (combined with the advantage of giving the modes memorable names).
I am positive this shouldn't be such a great deal to have to tweak the buttons to get the five user's modes configurations.
As I mentioned earlier, someone will complain about this!

JP
09-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How about K-r (so much info about K-5, so little about K-r...)?
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

5 User modes will be useful (to me) if they can be accessed without going through menus to get to the other 4. Set the dial to USER (for instance) and press the RAW button to cycle through them. I might then actually have to learn where the RAW button is (train my left index finger to find it )..

09-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
How about K-r (so much info about K-5, so little about K-r...)?
I don't think there's a user mode — this is one of the things they use to differentiate the higher-end model.
09-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The LX3 (P&S of Panasonic) has 4!!!
09-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for quoting me Matt!

Your idea was indeed a good one, and the way Pentax implemented it looks good too. I didn't test it very extensively, but first impression is that it works fine.

Setting the dial to USER the LCD lights up and shows the saved settings in the active mode. The first field of this screen is selected so changing to another USER mode only requires going into the list selector for that field and selecting the other mode.

From what I saw the name you can give to the USER mode can be pretty long, well... quite a bit longer then the standard USER-1 anyway. Saving and renaming is done in the menu I seem to remember.

Wim
09-29-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds awesome. I have my current user mode set to JPG for quick photographic "notes"
09-29-2010, 03:52 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Oh snap! 5 user setting would seriously be useful.
cool so we can make seetings like this

C1: portrait
C2: landscape
C3: sport
C4: beach/snow
C5: museum

does it remind you something ?