Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 Hands-on preview (by Falk Lumo)

Ok, I know it has been posted elsewhere already. However, now I completed the accompanying blog article too and provide both links:
The Photokina 2010 has just closed its doors and I am compiling my findings regarding Pentax into this article. I posted my first impressions a week ago.

The most exciting part (besides trying out the 645D) certainly was to find out about the new K-5 camera. I gathered a lot of material from various sources and wrote a full Pentax K-5 hands-on preview report. A short blog article turned out to be the wrong format and therefore, I posted it on my website. Here you go:

-> Pentax K-5 hands-on preview

Don't miss the exciting news. Moreover, I tried to answer as many questions I received as possible in the report and to skip as much redundant info as possible too.

However, a small number of questions didn't fit the K-5 context so I have been putting them into my blog article. Questions covered:
  • DA 35mm f/2.4
  • DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Teleconverters
  • Post Photokina Pentax strategy (as I guess it)
My Summary and verdict about what I've seen at Photokina 2010:
  • K-5: Very solid and satisfying performance. (as known so far)
  • Hoya Pentax: In good shape but tight on resources. Communication skills leave some room for improvement.
Enjoy!

Last edited by falconeye; 09-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.
09-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Falk. I already saw it, and your article is great stuff. The most informative bit on the K-5 to date. Thanks for covering PK and putting up with all our whining and nagging over here on the Forum; it's good to have you in the "family".

~Jon
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Falk.

Great job you did on this reportage at Photokina 2010.

The Blog is full of everything we need to know for the K5, except of course for a few "tests" which you mention are not your "ball game" at this time.

I am most impressed again with the images showing on the Blog, and here as well.

One little glitch: I tried downloading the "available" image file from the Blog but it timed out (first trial), and also froze my computer (second trial).
Is there any other way to obtain this file?

Again, thanks for all of the good and hard work you are doing for all of us here at Pentax Forums.

Cheers and looking forward to further articles of yours.

JP
09-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
One little glitch: I tried downloading the "available" image file from the Blog but it timed out (first trial), and also froze my computer (second trial).
Hi JP,

I guess you mean the 30MB DNG file, right?

I tried and it downloaded w/o any problem. However, it is hosted in Germany and maybe it's not the same experience for you. May depend on the Int'l connectivity of your provider.

The file is the same as posted in the "first impressions" thread and I am sure many downloaded it already. So, if anybody wants to mirror it in the US ... (I can then add the mirror link to the article)

09-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Hi JP,

I guess you mean the 30MB DNG file, right?

I tried and it downloaded w/o any problem. However, it is hosted in Germany and maybe it's not the same experience for you. May depend on the Int'l connectivity of your provider.

The file is the same as posted in the "first impressions" thread and I am sure many downloaded it already. So, if anybody wants to mirror it in the US ... (I can then add the mirror link to the article)
Hi Falk,

Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find this file from the thread you are mentioning, although I have indeed read it all before!!
And, yes, it is the 30Mb DNG file.

Thanks,

JP
09-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Falk, for an informative and professional look at the K-5 as it was at Photokina time. Will be interesting to see what v1.0 firmware brings.

Jack
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find this file from the thread you are mentioning, although I have indeed read it all before!!
And, yes, it is the 30Mb DNG file.
post #117

But it won't help you, it's the same link

09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

post #117

But it won't help you, it's the same link
Nope! It didn't help!
I'll do without it, thanks for the help anyway.

JP
09-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you Falk, always enjoy your posts - very educational and informative; can't wait to see more field tests in the coming months.
09-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
offtopic but nice

the first online K-5 ad seen in the wild (theonlinephotographer)

Last edited by falconeye; 04-07-2012 at 07:05 PM.
09-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope! It didn't help!
I'll do without it, thanks for the help anyway.

JP
I can send you the file if you still need it.

offtopic but nice

the first online K-5 ad seen in the wild (theonlinephotographer)
I'm pretty hyped about getting one!
I just hope the new SD card format can squeeze a few more RAW frames out of the continuous shooting buffer :/
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

whats next? Ultra-mega UBER advanced DSLR

why can't we call it pro yet?
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm impressed enough to have gone from No Way to I'm thinking about it. I still want to see real world user reviews though.

09-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Falk,

One follow up / confirmation question on the DA 35 F2.4 lens kit combination.

QuoteQuote:
The new DA 35/2.4 introduced short before Photokina is specified here:
The production capacity is 2/3 of that of the 18-135 lens and will be available as a kit lens for the K-5. Early reports about the 35/2.4 have been very positive (sharpness wide open, bokeh, very fast focussing, maybe 35mm image circle) and as a kit, may have a very attractive pricing.

The kit will be black only and non-black versions are said to be unavailable (at least outside Japan).
Kit in black only (despite non-WR lens) with K-5 makes a lot of sense.
- But kit with K-r would have made even more sense!!!

FYI: I live in Japan and would like this lens icw K-r (other wise I might just go for a K-x...)
09-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Good write-up. Thank you.
Interesting comment you wrote about the future direction of K-mount, and the changing "demographics" of Pentax users.
I think , yes, many of the long-time pros or high-end hobbyists are disappointed with Pentax and quite a number have left or are likely to leave, given Pentax has no intention to go for FF.

The brand itself has become more vibrant since the launch of the K-7/KX and now the K-5/K-R.
Most of the new users are from a younger set, and I think its inevitable Pentax will design their system to cater for their interests.