Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pgenovese Quote
And while yo're at it bring it back on the K7 also.
AFAIK, the K7 doesn't have the hardware needed to support tethering. No clue what that means, but that's supposedly out of Pentax.

The 645D and K5 do have whatever this magical hardware is, so we're waiting on software. Seriously, I could have coded it by now

09-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
AFAIK, the K7 doesn't have the hardware needed to support tethering. No clue what that means, but that's supposedly out of Pentax.

The 645D and K5 do have whatever this magical hardware is, so we're waiting on software. Seriously, I could have coded it by now
No s**t on the software as well as the hardware. Not too magical considering they already knew the hardware bits from the K10D work. Maybe on the K10D they contracted out that engineering and had to reinvent it once they saw users really wanted it.
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

even an interesting device like this:

Yongnuo Liveview Wired Remote

That would be a decent work around for me, but obviously not for those who need the shots to be xfered to their PC directly.

It's odd but this one feature has me so doubting myself by switching to Pentax. I am really feeling, I guess you could call it betrayed or maybe just a sense of being let down by a brand I trusted most of my adult life. Maybe I just expected more from the brand...I dunno.
09-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Despite everyone's FF woes, I think that lack lack of tethering is one of the biggest things that prevents the Pentax system from being viewed as "pro".

09-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite;:
But the camera can't be used, if connected to the PC...
Yes you can, with the body but not remote
09-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
Yes you can, with the body but not remote
How? As soon as the USB is plugged into the K7, it goes to PC mode and all shooting functions are disabled. The only way to "tether" anything on the K7 is to connect to an HDMI or Composite video device (television).

09-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
How? As soon as the USB is plugged into the K7, it goes to PC mode and all shooting functions are disabled. The only way to "tether" anything on the K7 is to connect to an HDMI or Composite video device (television).

ah sorry, i still have the "old" K20D

09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Same as me...my "old" K20D is still my only DSLR body and will be for a few weeks yet until we learn about if tethering is actually going to be added or not.

I often drag my big screen into the "studio" in order to put the image up on the screen but the resolution from the K20D is sooo low that the image is still quite blurry for my worn to the nub eyeball.

And if the output image resolution is better on the K-7 that would be super for people who can get by using that to manual focus and compose but that is still leaving the issue of the camera's settings in so many situations.

I would LOVE for Pentax to come up with an innovative solution for tethering like being able to have separate signal sending liveview video to an external dedicated display (as part of the tethering solution so I know you can already do it with the camera in liveview mode but you don't get remote control support on the PC in this option) if you want without needing to do some tap dancing setting up a 2nd display or extending your computer's display to an external display AND leave the tethered shooting on the computer. Or even a cable that splits the output...add a handheld remote kinda like the one from Yongnuo that I linked to in a post somewhere above and we have the potential for a completely PC free tethering option if that would help the situation...I know that would not work for everyone but darn it would be a big step closer to making the K5 maybe the best all around DSLR body currently in production.

I really think that is what so many of us need is a solid all around body. Something that is GREAT outside which hasn't been an issue from Pentax for a long time AND be a solid if not spectacular studio camera. I say this as someone who simply can no longer afford to spend huge amounts of money on my hobbies even it they also help pay my medical bills. I sense there are many people out there in the same position. I want a new body as it was my original plan and the only thing which stopped my upgrade to a K-7 was not the IQ/noise issue but rather this pesky tethering issue...

And yeah, I know one reason adding a second dedicated video out port would be room, no problem but a splitter cable could easily address that issue...of course having never held or looked closely at a K7 the might already have a separate HDMI port? If so then few criminy sakes adding full tethering should be a freaking breeze.

I still think some dinosaur board member with either Hoya or Pentax is out there saying "....well if we add full or any tethering people won't buy the 645D..." then again the $10k camera doesn't have it either...hehehe, so maybe that isn't it. Soooo, who do we need to get laid or stick the head of a prized koi in his/her bed to get our point across?

BTW, all you bastages out there...where in the 'ell were you when I was the ONLY guy clamoring for true tethering a number of months back...I was getting my arse whoop'd for simply pointing out that the K20D does not do what I consider true tethering since there is no live video sent to the computer. hehehehe...man it was BRUTAL, good thing I could still take a beating back then!!

But nice to see it really isn't my meds, tethering is a needed feature to at least two of us out here!!
09-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have the K20 and am interested in tethering. I have posted several times that I wish that Pentax would re-institute tethering and publish the API so that it could be supported by both third party and open source software. That way, Pentax could concentrate on the camera side of the system.

The command and control interface via the USB port is a natural interface. For high resolution imagery, using the HDMI port would also be possible. To a PC or laptop you could easily support both. For a handheld interface such as the you could just use the USB. To me using an external handheld system like the one above would be preferable than a articulating rear screen - thus making WR easier.

To me, its pretty difficult to understand why there would be a limitation to USB based tethering - 35+ years in embedded software and systems tells me that you would not design and build such a limitation into a system like this. Especially when essentially using the same software across a vertically integrated set of camera bodies (Kx, K7 and the 645D).

09-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too have the K20 and am interested in tethering. I have posted several times that I wish that Pentax would re-institute tethering and publish the API so that it could be supported by both third party and open source software. That way, Pentax could concentrate on the camera side of the system.

The command and control interface via the USB port is a natural interface. For high resolution imagery, using the HDMI port would also be possible. To a PC or laptop you could easily support both. For a handheld interface such as the you could just use the USB. To me using an external handheld system like the one above would be preferable than a articulating rear screen - thus making WR easier.

To me, its pretty difficult to understand why there would be a limitation to USB based tethering - 35+ years in embedded software and systems tells me that you would not design and build such a limitation into a system like this. Especially when essentially using the same software across a vertically integrated set of camera bodies (Kx, K7 and the 645D).

agree completely. I never did any low level device driver or that sort of development but a buddy of mine did and he too is incredulous it's not there.

BTW, GMTA as far as the Yongnuo dongle...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1204434-post18.html

I even posted over on the Flickr group asking for Pentax support on their newer flashes as well as that spiffy tethering dongle. After the teasing from the folks there asking who Pentax is and do they really make cameras I did get some other Pentax shooters who felt the same...yeah they make cheap arse flashes, and by cheap I mean crappy build quality but other than firmware the Pentax flashes are not $300 better for my needs. Plus at those prices I don't mind getting out a soldering iron to try and fix anything that fails the "smoke test".
09-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Same as me...my "old" K20D is still my only DSLR body and will be for a few weeks yet until we learn about if tethering is actually going to be added or not.
No problem. I enjoyed playing around with the tethered K10d/K20d but on the K7 can't say I miss it. It would be nice to have it back and if the DFS rumor is true on the K5, I may be back down to one camera instead of having several for different purposes. I don't do studio work other than product shots so for me, it isn't a deal breaker if it never gets re-implemented.

10-01-2010, 12:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't do studio work other than product shots so for me, it isn't a deal breaker if it never gets re-implemented.

You see i think that trend is changing, with the price and availability of smartphones, tablets and cheap 7 & 10" devices the idea is far more powerful now.

I have a 10.1" Windows 7 tablet so at night time and on long exposures, landscapes and some macro, strobist testing.... the idea of having the tablet's larger 10.1" screen and being able to see in far more detail and closeup, would be a huge boon. Give me Wireless USB or UWB and I'll be a happy camper.

I also would of thought it's the kind of thing that you use once and never bother with again, but in a world of iPhones, Notebooks, and Tablets i think the idea can be much more beneficial than the things you described above.

The fact that video is now an option, is also an extra reason others may use this feature.
10-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I am speaking for 3 people here (). Me, Myself, and I. The last thing I want to do, when I go out to take photos, is carry more stuff. My phone has a ringer on it, I don't text, it does not take photos nor do I send photos to it. The technology is wonderful for those who want to use it, I for one am satisfied enough to just take photos. Then download them, process them, and post them for whoever wants to look at them.

10-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Insider’s tip: Eye-Fi + Lightroom2 impress the crowd | Eye-Fi
10-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The technology is wonderful for those who want to use it,
Well it would be if Pentax would allow us to use it