Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to pick a fight but my solution for those wanting full frame dSLR, is buy one. Bite the bullet, sell your APS-C stuff, and move on. The camera is a tool. If I want full frame pentax, I have plenty of 35mm Pentax camera bodies. They work quite nicely but I cannot get instant results with them would be the only drawback.

10-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #47

Just got an Email from Pentax Support Germany, well again other information.....

Email:

Sehr geehrter Herr X, vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage. auch bei den neuen Kameras: K-5, K-r und der Mittelformatkamera 645D ist ein PK-Remote nicht geplant und aus Designtechnischen Gründen auch nicht realisierbar. So bleiben leider die K10d/K20d die einzigen Kameras, die über einen Pc nahezu komplett fernbedienbar sind. Die K5 besitzt durchaus die Geschwindkeit, um 15 Raw- Aufnahmen zu prozessieren und zwischenzuspeichern,diese Funktion wird allerdings -wie auf der Photokina- zunächst auf 8 Aufnahmen beschränkt und zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt per firmware-update nachgereicht. Wir hoffen Ihnen mit unserer Antwort behilflich gewesen zu sein. Bitte zögern Sie nicht, uns bei Rückfragen erneut zu kontaktieren. Mit freundlichen Grüßen,Support Staff
Pentax Camera Support Team

Again i think the translation missed some word...

1. NO thethering for K5,K,r 645D , not even with firmware
2. 15 RAW in Buffer will be possible :S

Last edited by Mehlsack; 10-07-2010 at 04:06 AM.
10-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1. Sh*t
2. Yessssss
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #49
Veteran Member

That's a problem. I was really hoping they would come through on this one...

10-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #50
Inactive Account

I'm not too surprised about the K5. I haven't paid a lot of attention to the 645D because I could never justify the $10k (roughly) price tag. However, I would have thought for that kind of money, calling it a pro camera, they would have put that feature in.

10-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #51

The thing i am realy annoyed with is that we again have some kind of information which is again 180° in the other direction and yet we dont "realy" know if/what is real.....
10-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #52

I found Pentax Japan website that they planning remote control for Pentax 645 D
645D : Products : PENTAX

there is written:" ... A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."

I hope this application will available for K 5 too.
10-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
The thing i am realy annoyed with is that we again have some kind of information which is again 180° in the other direction and yet we dont "realy" know if/what is real.....
You know...there HAS to be a Moody Blues or Alan Parson's song in that somewhere!! Remember Every Good Boy Deserves a Favor!!

10-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 645user Quote

there is written:" ... A remote-access application will soon to be added to this software, allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."

Sigh....great, the $10K+ camera gets tethering, and maybe an announced intention. <begin ironic sarcasm>....I suppose that is the feature HoyaTax figures will induce people waiting on a FF or skipped the K-7 due to the lack of tethering to just go ahead and buy the 645D now rather than a K-5...</end ironic sarcasm>
10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #55

I think when 645D gets tethering it is likely that K-5 gets it later too, BUT this only counts when the USB-Port has the "real" hardware, the k-7's USB was some crippled thing i heard.
10-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a recent video posted here, the head of Pentax Canada remarked that there is a very high degree of comparability between the 645D and the K7, essentially providing the 645D the user interface and dSLR capabilities of the K7. One would have to think that goes also in to the hardware design in addition to the software. Having Pentax Germany indicate that "PK-Remote not planned and design of technical reasons, not feasible", sounds like hardware based capabilities.

Obviously, Pentax understood the interface for the K10/K20. This just makes no logical design sense. Setting the mode, aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc. via a USB link is not rocket science. So with that in mind and if there is a potential for a firmware based capability in a 645D upgrade, it would stand to reason if you are able to do it for one, then why not for the K5? - I will whistle past the K7 since they will never back fit to it since its being replaced. Not including it in the K5 is criminal, since folks have been asking for it since it was noticed as "missing in action" on the K7.

10-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #57

I understood the email in the same way, that it is technically not capable of tethered shooting like the k7 and that made me very very sad

So again just some kind of rumor with no "real" evidence....
10-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #58
Veteran Member

From what we're told the 645D shares a lot in common with the K-7, mainly to cut down on R&D costs, if it uses the same Prime engine along with other hardware then it's likely that the K-7 should work with tethering, just no one bothered to write the software for it.
10-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #59

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
From what we're told the 645D shares a lot in common with the K-7, mainly to cut down on R&D costs, if it uses the same Prime engine along with other hardware then it's likely that the K-7 should work with tethering, just no one bothered to write the software for it.
in the german answer letter above Pentax states very clearly that neither the K5, Kr nor the 645D will support tetherring because it is not _realisable_per_design_ !

Pentax has surely some kind of communication problem.. in _both_ directions..
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #60
Pentaxian

...........allowing you to control your PC from a distance using the 645D."
Why would I want to 'control my PC' with a camera ?