Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

where is the 55-300mm WR? WR in general

it would be the perfect match for the new 18-135mm WR. the 55-200mm WR isn't long enough to consider carrying it as another lens.

what is the deal with Pentax's WR line? affordable WR is a wonderful, novel idea and nothing better represents Pentax's Unique Selling Point in this crowded camera marketplace. being the brand with small high-quality primes as a brand signifier is way too niche (then again Pentax isn't marketing the Limited lens line either, most people don't know they exist) and doesn't resonate with consumers nearly as much as affordable WR would.

why isn't Pentax running with this full-bore and marketing the hell out of a full range of affordable WR cameras and lenses? Why isn't Pentax remaking ALL of their DA lenses in WR form? I don't think it would cannibalize the DA* line as pro-lenses are characterized by their silent motors, exotic glass and large and constant apertures - that would still always apply.

I know its been said a million times already, but bringing WR down to the consumer level would be a market slam dunk and Pentax is already the furthest along. can we expect more WR soon? I fear Pentax/Hoya is only carefully tip toeing this market strategy and losing the small advantage they already have. for instance, where is the replacement K200D class affordable WR camera?

09-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, there are quite a few of us hanging out for some WR remakes. Filling in the gaps is still a bigger priority and the cheap 35/1.4 and 18-135wr are really good moves provided the optics are good. So what will be next, updated DA* with better (DC) motors, update fa ltds to WR, Update Da to Da WR.
Time will tell.
They are also woking on 645 lenses too!
09-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

@illdefined

Here is what you need:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/120-300mm-f28-ex-dg-apo-hsm-sigma

Unfortunately no k-mount yet.

Last edited by Wololo; 09-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe in Dec. at the PDN Expo.

Thank you
Russell

09-29-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
DA Limiteds should be WR, at least

I have been advocating for this forever!!! The current Pentax vision is a contradition: what we get is a small, partially-WR kit. Wouldn't it be so much more harmonious if we could walk around with a K5 and 35mm WR, or 21mm WR, or 40 WR? Isn't that the vision? It is just doesn't make sense as is. Furthermore, the fact that they are able to WR cheap kit zooms means that it can't be that hard to do to the Limited line. It just can't.
09-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that the Limited lenses are built to such tight tolerances as to make adding rubber gaskets very difficult. My guess is that the materials don't mix well, and that with as tight as the lenses are now, WR wouldn't add very much. Still, a simple gasket around the lens mount would be appreciated--I currently use rubber bands for that.

I also believe WR is more important with electronic devices (camera bodies, SDM lenses) than mechanical ones (screw-drive lenses). And zoom lenses need it more than primes.

That said, I'd preorder a DA 35/2.4 WR right now if I could. A good lens I could take out and not worry about? Yeah, I'd pay more for that. Not DA*55/1.4 more, but 20% would be acceptable.
09-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think Jon is right about the prime Limiteds. I suspect sealing at the lens mount might be all one really needs unless working in a hurricane or the Sahara Desert. I have to wonder why no one in the aftermarket has come up with inexpensive, one-time use gaskets for lens mounts.

As for weather-resistant DSLRs, at least Pentax has two: the K-5 and the K-7... and the K-7 body is now well under $1000. I'm tempted to go for a K-7, but since my K200D is already weather resistant, perhaps the K-r would make more sense. That way, I'd gain much better high-ISO performance and still have a weather-resistant body as a back-up when I need it.

Last edited by Biro; 09-29-2010 at 07:32 PM.
09-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
My understanding is that the Limited lenses are built to such tight tolerances as to make adding rubber gaskets very difficult.
You may be right about that, but OTOH the WR 100mm macro has a very similar build to the limiteds, hasn't it?
09-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
My understanding is that the Limited lenses are built to such tight tolerances as to make adding rubber gaskets very difficult. My guess is that the materials don't mix well, and that with as tight as the lenses are now, WR wouldn't add very much. Still, a simple gasket around the lens mount would be appreciated--I currently use rubber bands for that.

I also believe WR is more important with electronic devices (camera bodies, SDM lenses) than mechanical ones (screw-drive lenses). And zoom lenses need it more than primes.

That said, I'd preorder a DA 35/2.4 WR right now if I could. A good lens I could take out and not worry about? Yeah, I'd pay more for that. Not DA*55/1.4 more, but 20% would be acceptable.
I agree: if there was a DA 35/2.4 WR I'd pre-order it, at a 20% premium, and I suspect most Pentax users would too. I think that would more than account for the money Pentax would need to spend WR-izing them.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
You may be right about that, but OTOH the WR 100mm macro has a very similar build to the limiteds, hasn't it?
Exactly...
09-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It has similarities but it was also had a completely redesigned barrel and aperture mechanism relative to the D FA it replaced. That may very well be the future of premium designs. However, Pentax has been very slow at releasing lenses post Hoya.
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I, too, was rooting for the 55-300WR. OTOH, the 18-125 is a great first effort as along as I can get both.

I hoped that we'd see more WR and a strong statement of direction toward rugged/outdoors/anywhere photography. We saw one lens.

As noted elsewhere, Hoya may be shy of making commitments that would burden the next owner of Pentax. Makes it harder to spin off. I understand the business reason but regret that we are still in transition mode. The value (to the market and to us) will continue to drop as the dithering continues.

Meanwhile, the photos are as good as my limited skills can make them. This isn't a whine. I'd just like more opportunity to take my (mediocre) photos outdoors.
09-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I, too, was rooting for the 55-300WR. OTOH, the 18-125 is a great first effort as along as I can get both.

I hoped that we'd see more WR and a strong statement of direction toward rugged/outdoors/anywhere photography. We saw one lens.

As noted elsewhere, Hoya may be shy of making commitments that would burden the next owner of Pentax. Makes it harder to spin off. I understand the business reason but regret that we are still in transition mode. The value (to the market and to us) will continue to drop as the dithering continues.

Meanwhile, the photos are as good as my limited skills can make them. This isn't a whine. I'd just like more opportunity to take my (mediocre) photos outdoors.
Back to the Hoya is selling Pentax mythology . . .

HornetNest
09-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Back to the Hoya is selling Pentax mythology . . .

:HornetNest:
I'd call it conjecture, i.e., an interpretation of omens or a proposition yet to be proven. There exists evidence beyond tea leaves but it's hardly conclusive.

We'll see.
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd call it "the sky is falling", with as much "evidence" as a piece of sky hitting you on the head.
09-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You're right; the 100 WR shows that metal bodies can be WR. So they could probably add WR to a Limited lens if they redesigned the entire thing. But I don't think adding WR to existing designs is feasible, as it would amount to basically a new lens design, and I'd rather see more lenses rather than re-done versions of lenses currently available at retail.

As a side note, if the FA Limiteds are discontinued, I could imagine them releasing new high-end DA lenses that are larger and faster than the current DA Limiteds. If they have a set of fast, WR, top-notch primes, that would be exciting.

As to the OP, I believe that midrange lenses + WR would be a good idea and would not cannibalize DA* lenses. In fact, they'd be an additional selling point for upgrading from a kit lens: not just faster or wider range or higher optical quality, or anything esoteric like that, but you can look at and feel WR. And I suspect that the percentage of people who buy a second lens for their SLR who then go on to buy more is far higher than the percentage of people who ever buy a second lens, so setting that LBA hook is important.

Still, Pentax knows far better than I do the market research, the engineering requirements, and the cost associated with WR lenses. I'd enjoy seeing more WR, and I'd probably buy some, but I have this strange faith that if they aren't doing it then they have a good reason for that.