Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #31

Nice video, but augh! I always get nervous when people put their cameras on the edge of a table with the strap hanging off. I learned my lesson the hard way on that one--RIP K100D.

10-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
yes, exactly. They should show the Pentax strong points in a non intrusive way like this. It could bring far more attention to them then stupidities like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaD3E2FtkJo
All they need to do is hire the director that made the "Uncle Jack" video. I'm sure he could handle it!

12-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone seen these?

K-r ad:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm4njpkaz3k[/yt]

And the making of the ad:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T9mxNT7I24[/yt]

Then this one for the K-x:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsM7WdIPABE[/yt]

Go Pentax...

Last edited by Ash; 12-15-2010 at 11:18 PM.
12-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #34

I like it !

12-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I liked the commercial. I wonder if it was yet another marketing blunder or left out intentionally that there were no LED indicators!!! I joke. My only other beef with the video is the way he left the camera on the edge with the strap hanging off the ledge. By a show of hands, how many people have (or almost) seen their camera get knocked off a counter when carelessly leaving their camera like that?
I'm totally anal about that. Any time I see a camera strap hanging over the side of a counter I fix it. And I never leave a strap that way. Normally I put the camera on the strap.
12-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #36
Veteran Member

You really want to make people take notice? Instead of "some guy" out there in the field with the rugged all weather camera why not show a WOMAN out there doing that kind of thing, working for a living. The glass ceiling for photography has been shattered for quite a while and quite a few of the younger pros I've met are actually female, a lot of the serious hobby photographers are too now, but you almost NEVER see a serious DSLR ad geared towards women!

This ad is nice, but you know it would have really made my day to have seen that same thing happening from a woman's point of view. There are a lot of women out there who do more than just occasionally shoot pictures of their kids with cell phones and pocket cameras. Not that there is anything wrong with women doing that, but that's only a fraction of what is going on out there with women and their DSLR cameras.

How about a non-stereotypical commercial that reflects that?
12-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha! You're onto something magkelly.
Sometimes we can forget what *really* makes things sell...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRZLZwm1v0[/yt]

Time for a modern version of that old Pentax girl?

12-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Yup. They want us to think Pentax is different? Okay, then show me DIFFERENT. Don't show me a typical young guy leading commercial that could be for any old DSLR out there. Show me why "I" a modern woman (and wanna be professional photographer) should think Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon.

I'd love to see a commerical similar to this but with a working woman's slant. No reason she can't hit both markets too. Have her finish up her day with one last shot of her man washing their kid's hair in the bathtub, of him being the caretaker of their home for once, and I'd probably grin from ear to ear.

Last edited by magkelly; 12-17-2010 at 03:31 AM.
12-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So not like this ad for the i10 :

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbNUVngkw8[/yt]
12-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
So not like this ad for the i10 :
Please tell me that is not a real ad....
12-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

the lack of marketing in Canada is astounding.
in the last couple of weeks Henrys cameras has been running big ads almost daily in the papers. for those of you who have never worked retail the way to get your product in these ads is through advertising support. no support, no ads.
I have only seen one Pentax SLR, the kx. no Kr, no K5, 2 lenses with the kx ad. Once. Every other vendor has had numerous featured items, canon and Nikon have had multiple ads both in shared fliers and in on e brand fliers. Oly, Pana, Sony, and Fuji are all heavily featured.
I repeat One Ad one (old model) Pentax
that's it
at the biggest camera retailer in Canada and one of the few places you can buy all the models including the 645
Pentax Canada is not doing the brand any favours
it saddens me sometimes that they are sitting on a couple of products that are excellent and better than the competition and there is no ad support to get them in front of potential clients.
As for brand TV ads I've seen a lot from canon, nikon, olympus, panasonic and sony
not even one from Pentax
the final month of the year accounts for about 25-30 % of the year in CE if not more. and for the retailer this month basically is where the yearly profit comes from
Hoya needs to kick Pentax Canada in the ass and get them involved
12-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm totally anal about that. Any time I see a camera strap hanging over the side of a counter I fix it. And I never leave a strap that way. Normally I put the camera on the strap.
Agreed. Also anal about that. It's too simple of a thing not to do to drastically reduce the chance of your camera getting pulled onto the concrete or whatever is around.
12-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

i love the old ads, really it should be easy to do a modern update on the same thing, and differentiate themselves from canikon.

i think the last shot in the desert is great