Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
would like them to get the K5 in the stores as quickly as possible so I can buy mine.
Me, I love Pentax gear and I'm betting the K5 is going to keep me satisfied for at least 3 years (before the itch to upgrade strikes again).

What I want is retail store presence in the U.S. -- particularly in serious camera stores like Calumet or Keeble and Suchart. I'd love to be able to handle a camera body or lens or a grip before buying it. Or rent a lens for a weekend. Or pick up a spare battery or remote shutter the same day I need it. Or get a demonstration on how to hook up a remote flash unit before I purchase it.

Oh, and I'd love to see stores advertise special discounts on Pentax equipment from time to time -- just like they do with other camera equipment.

Bob

Last edited by bats; 09-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
k-x sensor in k-7 body. That would be unbeatable camera

Good one.
09-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Give me an open api for remote control, can use IR Simple or Wifi, even USB! I managed to get that K20D remote control installed on my Nokia N900 and then lost the camera's usb cable... Imagine something along the lines of camera tethered via usb but focusing controlled via a touch screen on a mobile phone or tablet!

Last edited by robbiec; 09-30-2010 at 04:26 PM.
09-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
k-x sensor in k-7 body. That would be unbeatable camera
They could call it the K-5!

09-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #20

Original Poster
I see some interest in this tread, but how many have contacted Petax Japan and told them that. We can go on and on here, but you have to voice your feelings.

Someone posted a way to translate and send the email. Has anyone had success with that????
09-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want the K5 and possibly the new lens. As for what I want from Pentax, I want to see them get some decent PR and some effective Marketing to match the excellent products.

The confusion on this introduction was inexcusable.
Regards
09-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Tethering...and REAL tethering not some crippled kludge that does not support a liveview feed to the PC like is on the K20D. If you can't see to compose AND adjust focus live on the screen then that defeats a significant part of the reason to even use tethering...

Did I mention TETHERING?

09-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I just want the K5 and possibly the new lens. As for what I want from Pentax, I want to see them get some decent PR and some effective Marketing to match the excellent products.

The confusion on this introduction was inexcusable.
Regards
If it's all about not spending on actually training their staff about new and existing products, perhaps someone needs to tell HoyaTax that there are dozens of FREE live video conferencing options out there so they can ALL be on the same page. Or at worst pay YouTube to host the training videos. Oh, wait, your prolly could not pull a needle from between Hoya's butt cheeks even if you used a tractor.
09-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Full frame camera body
- Focus on quality of the output over other technical features. Take lessons learned from the 645D and make a "mini" version for people wanting or have to stay in the land of 35mm.
- Try to fit it into the K-7 body, or add a few vertical millimeters to make the camera a bit taller, but still use the same grip as the K-7.
- (joke) Try to convince Sigma/Foveon to make an sell a full frame sensor and use that instead of a CCD or CMOS.

Tethered shooting

Ability to disable dark frame subtraction.

If you do go mirror-less, make sure the camera has a large quality optical viewfinder (eg. like that new Fuji or better).

Fix that Pentax photo gallery site by getting rid of Adobe Flash.

Clean up the lens lineup as such:
High Tier (All lenses would use the best possible WR):
- Phase out the DA* lineup and drop the APS-C DA* lenses. Do not use the * (star) designator anymore. (It sure didn't work when you were trying to sell *ist camera bodies when no one could verbally describe what camera body they had...)
- Take FA capable DA* lenses and call them D-FA DC WR Limited. Use the new DC motors instead of SDM.
- Take the FA Limiteds and DA Limiteds that are FA capable and make them WR. Call them D-FA WR Limited.
- These lenses should have apertures 2.8 or larger.

Lenses must be named with:
** D-FA DC WR Limited ** (FF, lens-motor)
** D-FA WR Limited ** (FF, screw-drive)

Middle Tier (All lenses would be basic WR):
- Get more D-FA WR lenses out the door. Use classic designs that were well regarded and give them the same treatment as the 100mm WR Macro basically. Keep the prices under the high-tier. Convert any current lenses that fit this category as well like the FA 50mm macro.
- Move FA capable DA Limited designs to the high tier as defined above. Cheapen APS-C limiteds to the level of the 100mm WR Macro, but add WR ability.
- Mid range zoom lenses like the new 18-135mm WR lens, however these should all be fixed F4 lenses.
- Convert any SDM lenses that are kept to DC.

** D-FA WR ** (FF, screw-drive)
** DA WR ** (APS-C, screw-drive)
** DA DC WR ** (APS-C, lens-motor)

Low Tier:
- Call all lenses in this range DA-L
- this consists of kit lenses and cheap add-on lenses.
- I think the new 35mm prime fits perfectly in this tier.
- plastic
- decent glass if possible
- include cheap kit zooms with plastic mounts
- APS-C only
- Phase out all lenses like the non-WR 18-55mm.
- screw drive only (unless DC/SDM is somehow cheaper to manufacture)
- no WR

** DA-L **

That's it for now.
09-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
- Phase out the DA* lineup and drop the APS-C DA* lenses. Do not use the * (star) designator anymore. (It sure didn't work when you were trying to sell *ist camera bodies when no one could verbally describe what camera body they had...)
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I have no issue With the * Star naming it's part of Pentax History.. There build & optical quality is top standard the SDM is a problem.. Just update with a better AF system eg new DC af drive.. Canon & Nikon are always updating there top pro optics with better OS - VR tech.. the L70-200mm f2.8 is a mK III .. I think.. The thing with The DA*s to many gaps in the lineup.. Only 6.. In the FA* line we had 11.. Pentax need 6 or 5 more DA*s to fill in the system.
09-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
ghl

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
... So here's what we do. Everyone on PF needs to email or call Pentax directly and voice their demands on what they want. I want tethering. That's my beef and many others too. I've emailed Pentax USA and they told me they were going to send it to Japan. Who knows if it'll get there.
Sure, Pentax USA will demand tethering based on your email and the future is written.

I looked around and couldn't find a direct email to corporate.
Don't sweat too much for your "beef" and why are you surprised that their site is in Japanese.

If someone who knows it [Pentax direct email to corporate] can provide it here so we ALL can tell Pentax what we need.
This might lead to some requests that fall outside the boundaries of what any camera can do, and might lead to chaos and ill founded directions like more of everything.
09-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF with Kodak sensor in compact body.

More DA WR primes and new limiteds.
DA28/2 DC WR
DA135/2.8 LIMITED
DA*400/5.6 DC
DA10-16/4 DC WR
DA135/4 DC WR macro
DA55-300 WR

TC 1.4 WR

Cheap DA-L - 55/2, 20/2.8, 90/3.5.

Last edited by ogl; 09-30-2010 at 10:53 PM.
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Please, make a cheaper version of the 645D. If Hasselblad is able to do a 10.000 euro camera using a 30MP sensor instead of the 40MB Pentax uses, I suppose a 645D with 30MP could be priced well under the 40 MP 645D. That could be an interesting upgrade path for many users that have 645 and 67 gear, but can't spend 10.000 € for the current 645D.

Also, a 400/4 DC would be much appreciated. And two rear converters.
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Dream DA* line up

ZOOMS

DA* 11-16mm f2.8 DC WS
DA* 16-50mm f2.8 DC WS
DA* 50-135mm f2.8 DC WS
DA* 14-60mm f4.0 DC WS
DA* 60-250mm f4.0 DC WS
DA* 250-500mm f5.6 DC WS

PRIMES

DA* 20mm f2.0 DC WS
DA* 55mm f1.4 DC WS
DA* 90mm f1.8 DC WS
DA* 170mm f3.5 DC WS MACRO
DA* 200mm f2.8 DC WS
DA* 300mm f4.0 DC WS

IMO this would make for one great PRO aps-c setup..
10-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It would be cool to get tetering shooting with my android phone. And be able to use it as a second screen