Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
My wish list

Full frame
Bigger body! My hands are too big, and full frame lenses are too big and heavy for smaller bodies. I want it big enough, heavy enough. and strong enough to club dinosaurs with (screw magnesium, I want titanium)
More long primes. >300mm and fast, f4 or f2.8
Some standard zooms. 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8
better flash system

I won't be spending any money on Pentax stuff till the first one is a reality. I know it won't happen, but until I have the money saved to switch to Nikon I can dream.

10-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #62

How much money are you willing to pay for the things you demand, name a price, would be very nice?

No talking around, just a plain number, 1000$ 2000$, 3k$ 6k$ 10k$ ?
10-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
My wish list

Full frame
Bigger body! My hands are too big, and full frame lenses are too big and heavy for smaller bodies. I want it big enough, heavy enough. and strong enough to club dinosaurs with (screw magnesium, I want titanium)
You may need some weigth as well, allow me to advice depeted uranium
10-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #64
Pentaxian

I was going to start a new thread but Iīll just post here. Iīd like the following changes to lens line-up:

New fast primes (F2 or faster, possibly DA*):

18 or 20mm (wide)
30 or 35mm (normal)
50mm F1.7 or 1.8 (cheaper short portrait)

Ultra-wide prime:

10 or 12mm F4

Longer telephoto:

400mm F4 or F5.6

Current lenses that could be re-vamped:

DA* 16-50 (due to doubts over optical & SDM performance)
FA 50mm F1.4 (old design, should be re-vamped for digital)

Current lenses that could be discontinued:

DFA 50mm macro (do these really sell?)
DA(L) 35mm F2.4 (far too many flaws, replace with 30 or 35mm FAST prime, see above)
All DAL lenses. Go back to mkII or WR kit lens, with 50-200 for cheap extra reach

Body-wise, I see few major flaws, though grips for the lower-end should be there. Not only are they incredibly useful but all camera brands (inc. Pentax) charge seriously inflated prices for them, so donīt tell me they donīt generate revenue. And bring back LCD screens on the lower-end models.

And one more thing: a statement that they will NOT make FF in the next 20 years. That way all the FF people can stop moaning, move systems if they want, and leave us in peace.

10-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
You may need some weigth as well, allow me to advice depeted uranium
Depleted uranium? Sounds scary; I'd rather go with Chobham armour... I'm not very careful with the equipment, so a scratch resistant shell is a must. Add submersible to whatever the crush depth of the latest Virginia class submarines is.

Now, what do I want? Beside the K-5, of course. Maybe the 15mm Limited, but that's on the market already. Talking about future, then; I'd like to see:
- Pentax continuing to move forward. Better products, higher class products (of course, that means more expensive)
- high quality fast AF weather sealed lenses (DA* MkII series?). Maybe ring-SDM, or a fast DC? Not terribly expensive, though pricey.
- longer high quality teles.
- more FA Limited-like lenses; of course updated for digital, weather sealed (why not? I think all non-entry level Pentax lenses should be weather sealed), with QSF; not necessarily SDM/DC.

What I would buy?
Cameras: the K-5. I'd rather not start talking about it's "shortcomings" (real, like the small buffer or imaginary) even before I have it. I'd rather enjoy it, than complaining after I have it.
Lenses: maybe a longer macro? A light, compact WR 150-200mm would be nice. Please, Pentax, put a focus limiter on...
- a re-vamped DA* 16-50, or a WR'ed 17-70. I'm not really into zooms, but from time to time such a lens could be useful
- not really a lens: a 1.4x WR, SDM-compatible teleconverter for my 60-250.

Jonathan Mac, I strongly disagree about the discontinuation of the DFA 50mm and the newly launched 35mm.
The first, the cheapest and maybe the sharpest Pentax macro. It should stay, maybe even be re-done as a DFA WR (like the 100mm macro).
The last, well... it's a cheap lens. IMHO it's only real fault is that it doesn't have QSF (such a pity...). A fast DA* would be quite expensive, thus serving entirely another purpose.
Even the DA Ls have their purpose; Pentax most likely realized there are a lot of people for whom a minor price difference is significant.
10-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
How much money are you willing to pay for the things you demand, name a price, would be very nice?

No talking around, just a plain number, 1000$ 2000$, 3k$ 6k$ 10k$ ?
For me, since a switch to another brand will be costly, I figure $20k for me to get what I want from Nikon. Some of that money is from lost potential sales to Pentax. When looking at lens sales, a loss of at least $8K for a 500mm f4 (which Pentax doesn't have but Nikon does) not to mention 3k to 5k in sales of a full frame camera depending on the level that Pentax would produce. (D700 semi-pro or D3s pro level)

That is $11k-$13K in lost sales to Hoya, but Nikon (or Canon) will be happy to take my money.

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
You may need some weight as well, allow me to advice depeted uranium
While depleted uranium sounds like a good idea, it would be too much of a hassle trying to explain it when going through airport security The whole issue with the toxicity of the material is another matter.

Titanium is better. Dinosaurs are fast so if I didn't get them on the first swing I wouldn't want the extra weight slowing me down.
10-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
While depleted uranium sounds like a good idea, it would be too much of a hassle trying to explain it when going through airport security
naw, just use USPS they ship everything...even live chickens! Perhaps feed the depleted uranium to the chickens then ship them?
10-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #68
Veteran Member

We seemed to have strayed (not that my posts were exactly on topic, but anyhow) way off topic and turned this into another Dear Pentax thread. Besides the fact that the old one is 200 pages long, why not use it?

10-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #69
Veteran Member

do you think after 5-pages there is really anything new to add?
10-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #70

in fact i am eager to see how try to feed a depleted uranium Full-Format DSLR-Body to a Chicken, that should be worth a photo, and the guiness book and mmmmh chicken breast
10-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
in fact i am eager to see how try to feed a depleted uranium Full-Format DSLR-Body to a Chicken, that should be worth a photo, and the guiness book and mmmmh chicken breast
yummmmmmmmmm....glowy green goodness!!!!