Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Let's unite together and tell Pentax what we want!!!

I've seen a lot of people complaing that the K5 doesn't come with this or that software/firmware wise. I'm not speaking about hardware. They're probably in production now or soon to be, so it's too late to change physical features. But software and firmware can be changed to meet our demands as loyal customers of Pentax.

So here's what we do. Everyone on PF needs to email or call Pentax directly and voice their demands on what they want. I want tethering. That's my beef and many others too. I've emailed Pentax USA and they told me they were going to send it to Japan. Who knows if it'll get there.

I looked around and couldn't find a direct email to corporate. If someone who knows it can provide it here so we ALL can tell Pentax what we need. If they get hit with 500 people wanting tethering, we may just get it. If you don't at least try, you really shouldn't bitch about it if you don't get what you want.

All we need now is the email!!!!!

Last edited by CaymanImaging; 09-30-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Misspell
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #2

I would like them to get the K5 in the stores as quickly as possible so I can buy mine.
09-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here:

https://www.pentax.jp/info/ques_enter.html

You can also write to Pentax USA, who does marketing and distribution in this country.

You can also post to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/15728-dear-pentax.html

I think there's pretty good evidence that Pentax does listen to user requests — look at the changes from K10D to K20D, from K20D to K-7, and from K-7 to K-5. The big headline-grabbing changes are obvious, but there's a lot of little things too.
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
I agree they have listened in the past. Some people on here like to bitch when they don't get their way, so I thought we'd try our best. If tethering isn't on the K5, it's not like I'm going to pass on it.

09-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Here:

https://www.pentax.jp/info/ques_enter.html

You can also write to Pentax USA, who does marketing and distribution in this country.

You can also post to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/15728-dear-pentax.html

I think there's pretty good evidence that Pentax does listen to user requests — look at the changes from K10D to K20D, from K20D to K-7, and from K-7 to K-5. The big headline-grabbing changes are obvious, but there's a lot of little things too.
I tried the Pentax.jp site and it was in Japanese.
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
I tried the Pentax.jp site and it was in Japanese.
Yes. Pentax is a Japanese company.
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The problem is: what do WE want? WE being a collection of various, many I's...

09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Google with FireFox. Google offered to translate: https://www.pentax.jp/info/ques_enter.html Worked a treat.

If you get the main info/support page, the orange box to the right at the bottom takes you to the page that generates the email.

The drop downs are in English one Google does its job. You won't find your state as the dropdown list just has prefectures. That's OK, you're not looking for a package to be delivered.

I expect that they can readily find someone to translate your request, at least literally.

You can also find the mailing address in Tokyo on line. I don't have it handy. It may take a while for a letter to get there but I wouldn't worry about that. We won't see results in the next month in any case.
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Precisely! We seem split 60/40 on flip screens More FPS/Damn Machine Gun shooters. It's a bit scary dealing with a camera body which is could actually be class leading in ISO performance (see what I mean about shying away).
09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #10

Software: manual controls in video mode, more customizable user mode (e.g. possibility to set the minimal exposure time) and tethering.

Hardware (for the next model): a BIGGER buffer, 15 images (2 sec) in raw is ridiculous!

I can think about a lot of other things, but those are the most important!
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

We want FF.

No, wait. Tethering, that's it. Tethering.

Except for the buffer depth. We all want buffer depth. Unless we sweat over each exposure as a work of art. OK, back to tethering in that case.

Unless you want to shoot kids. Or sports. Or kids playing sports. Who doesn't?? Then it's tracking AF. And burst rate.

We have a DFS option now so it must be astronomical body recognition. Jupiter's moons, all identified by name and discoverer. With WR astro lens kits. To get Europa on a wet night. Oh. Never mind WR for astronomy. May not be a lot of followers there ....
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Play like you mean it. Stop settling for stop gaps, incrementals, and adequacy, and start swinging for the fences. Start innovating. Start taking risks; the K-x was a great start, now take that attitude up the line. Decide what you want to be when you grow up; Either make a high end compact (preferably WR, with an APSC sensor) if you're going to focus on the amateur market, or stop dicking around and build a no holds barred pro body. One or the other. Be the first (semi) major company to make your SW open source, and let users tweak functions and the interface, AND create a marketplace for those tweaks to be traded/sold. What's up with you guys and tethering? Did it touch you in a bad place? I don't care how good your high ISO performance is, the f number on a "fast" prime is less than 2. </rant>

I speak for no one but myself.
09-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Zav
Pentaxian

Tethering! FF! Super telephoto!
09-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

k-x sensor in k-7 body. That would be unbeatable camera
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly!

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yes. Pentax is a Japanese company.
Yes, it is but in this day & age, companies who want to operate in an international environment make an effort to facilitate communication with customers. Just sayin'