Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #31

Hmmm, I would like...

a Pentax EVIL specifically designed so that the image in the viewfinder ( I would prefer an 180 degrees turning EV to any LCD ) is the same to the image captured! That would be:
1) specifically designed for manual lenses
2) auto-zoom to assist manual focusing
3) automatic lighting=f(aperture) measuring on manual aperture
4) correct DOF in the viewfinder (according to selected aperture f)
5) compatible with all Pentax lenses till now.(it doesn't have to be a very small camera)
e.t.c.

That would be a 21st century camera!

10-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Everyone's wants are noted, but has anyone expressed them to Pentax? That was the whole point of the thread.
10-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Everyone's wants are noted, but has anyone expressed them to Pentax? That was the whole point of the thread.
I'm sure they have, independently of the following....

Some months ago, some member was meeting with some Pentax rep somewhere, and asked what he should do :-)

I suggested the member print and forward the entire "Dear Pentax" thread, as well as provide the link, to the rep.
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Perhaps the admin of this forum can centralize our wishes and send them by the right means to the right person at Pentax Japan.
Something like an open letter signed by everyone supporting this action.

What I want is, in order of importance :
- tethered shooting on the K-5
- screw-drive focussing FOR EVER (top models only?)
- a DA 50 mm limited (why not the 50 mm Macro, like the 100 mm)
- a DA 135 mm limited
- a DA 12 mm limited, let's hope that this is doable…
- a Range Finder on which the DA limiteds can fit, a bit like the Fuji X100, but this is just a wishful sandwich…

10-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
I've seen a lot of people complaing that the K5 doesn't come with this or that software/firmware wise. I'm not speaking about hardware. They're probably in production now or soon to be, so it's too late to change physical features. But software and firmware can be changed to meet our demands as loyal customers of Pentax.

So here's what we do. Everyone on PF needs to email or call Pentax directly and voice their demands on what they want. I want tethering. That's my beef and many others too. I've emailed Pentax USA and they told me they were going to send it to Japan. Who knows if it'll get there.

I looked around and couldn't find a direct email to corporate. If someone who knows it can provide it here so we ALL can tell Pentax what we need. If they get hit with 500 people wanting tethering, we may just get it. If you don't at least try, you really shouldn't bitch about it if you don't get what you want.

All we need now is the email!!!!!
the point is, and I hope we can succeed, but I wont hold my breath

I have had a "wish list" as others have had for years, of which virtually none have been addressed.

I think the only thing on my wish list they addressed, and it was not done in the model I had at the time, but in later models was customizible file name prefixes to avoid confusion with multiple bodies.

What do I want from pentax.

1) a teleconverter option, like the focla length option to modify focal length and or apature (selectible by user) to scale them correctly for shake reduction and exposure accuracy

2) use of the user inout focal length in routines other than shake reduction. For example if you have an A lens on the camera and put it into flash mode it goes to max sync speed, but put a zoom lens on, or an FA or later lens and it defaults to 1/focal lenght

3) user programmable exposure curves for lenses. Many lenses ton't track exposure perfectly. My Tammy 28-75 has a gradual error starting out perfect at F2.8 and drifting to + 1 stop over exposed by F32. It woud be nice to program this out like you do with FF/BF. There is a member presently who has shown his FA50 under exposes by 1/2 stop wide open, so it is not just third party lenses that do this.

4) entry of maximum aperture for Manual aperture lenses., so that the green button could take an open aperture reading and a stopped down reading, and then scale p-ttl flash correctly allowing it on Manual aperture lenses.

5) Ideally, allowing body control of aperture by entry of max and min aperture and rescaling movement of the control arm for the diameter linear with movement these lenses have as opposed to area with movement ofg KA and later lenses.

these are all simple software changes, nothing special, no magic or development to them, all of which would benefit users. They have all been asked before.

we could then add some new ideas, if hardware supports it,

6) higher flash sync at reduced flash output. Maybe 1/250th but only at half power?

7) compressed RAW. I would shoot RAW if it were compressed like (god forgive me) Nokon.

8) more green button functions like meter only but not change shutter to match aperture ( again possibly to then calculate how much flash for PTTL on non A lenses_

the other thing that would be nice, is documentation.

Take the K7.
- we have 3 levels of sharpening, can any one tell me what exactly each level does, and for what radius?
- we have highlight and shadow protection detail, but no where does it say how many stops of detail it preserves. and there are 3 levels of shadow protection detail, some, more and, a lot for lack of better explanation.
- what is the dynamic range with respect to contrast for the middle 80% of the histogram. I know (because I measured it on my *istD) that it is 4 stops at max contrast and 5 stops at min contrast, but it would be nice if it were properly documented so we would know the real measurable impact of making these changes instead of guessing.

this is all simple to do. OK pentax go do it
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

What % of potential K-5 owners really want tethering? Someone should launch a survey...
10-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #37

Original Poster
The survey is up!

10-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
It would be cool to get tetering shooting with my android phone. And be able to use it as a second screen
That's already half-way here.

Eye-Fi iPhone app - upload photos to your computer & the web from 1 app | Eye-Fi

(Sorry if the site redirects you mercilessly, as it does me because I'm based in Japan.)
10-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
k-x sensor in k-7 body. That would be unbeatable camera
We are getting something better than that...
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #40

And while I have my crystal ball out:

- K-i: EVIL camera.

- K-s: K-r evolution with WR body with mag alloy panels, for the entry to enthusiast market.

- K5 mkII: a few improvements to the original K5, for the enthusiast to travelling pro market.

- K30: all singing and dancing pro APS-C (Foveon?)/APS-H/FF model with flip out screen, good video, extensive drive and bracketing modes, etc.

- 645D mkII: stepping up from K-7 feature set to K30 level.

- Switchable screw drive/DC/SDM on all cameras.

- Wired and wireless tethering.

- A whole bunch of WR DC tilt and shifts, primes and zooms.

- P-TTLII with radio triggering two-way control, including (this is the next step from IR interface).

- A better neckstrap than the el-cheapo ones supplied.

Cheers,
M

Last edited by Mohawk; 10-03-2010 at 05:46 AM.
10-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I find disappointing about threads like this is we start off with a reasonable idea. What software changes would we like to see and wind up with a bagful of hardware wishes.

Is it any wonder we dont get what we want? All the hardware geeks ruin the credibility of legitimate requests simply because they can't limit their comments
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Haven't you heard? It's sooo easy to change the hardware...

OK, I'll play. Software changes:
- tethering would be nice, because you folks want it (I may found it useful, too)
- 12-bit RAW, sRAW - for making better use of the small buffer.
And the hardware change, but I'm afraid there is no time for it:
- bigger buffer. The 15 frames advertised at Photokina would be just fine.

But if I'm asked what I want, the answer is easy: I want a K-5. Please, Pentax - send a well-calibrated one in Romania, with my name on it
10-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What I find disappointing about threads like this is we start off with a reasonable idea. What software changes would we like to see and wind up with a bagful of hardware wishes.

Is it any wonder we dont get what we want? All the hardware geeks ruin the credibility of legitimate requests simply because they can't limit their comments
absolutely...the hardware is done. We have the options of getting used to it or "getting over it". But the features/abilites which can be added or refined via firmware are the things we can maybe have addressed. But that discussion really needs to remain reasonable and focused on exactly those things.

Why do these threads diverge? I suspect it's because people don't read through even part of them only the title of the tread. And once the first few hardware comments happen the thread changes never seeming to get back on track. I will say I see it more than other photo boards I visit. Well nothing is as bad as "the other place which need not be named"....dpr.....
10-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Number 1 thing: Open source the firmware. I don't care if your stock firmware has no features, if you open source it the community will fix it; plus think of all the cameras you'll sell to open source purists!

Otherwise: Fully Manual Video (shutter angle, fps, exposure), tethering, aperture linkage, NTFS or HFS+ support for SD cards.
10-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Number 1 thing: Open source the firmware. I don't care if your stock firmware has no features, if you open source it the community will fix it; plus think of all the cameras you'll sell to open source purists!

Otherwise: Fully Manual Video (shutter angle, fps, exposure), tethering, aperture linkage, NTFS or HFS+ support for SD cards.
On one hand that would be truly wonderful but on the other hand there are but a handful of successful open source community projects out there. Anarchy is not how to make a project successful. It must be directed and controlled by a single vision. But as long as those who undertake such an endeavor are willing to swallow their ego and pride to be part of a team then yup, it could be fantastic. I. however, have doubts about such an idea. Yeah, there are open source projects which do indeed work, but guess what, they are controlled but a core or even single individual.

BTW, I am not sold that there are all that many open source purists who also enjoy photography enough to be the sort of consumers a world wide company is after....but still it's more customers for the pool so more bodies could potentially be sold as well as more lenses and other crap that goes with it all.

I am for an API that allows 3rd party apps to control the camera or add features but to completely open source the firmware, nope I don't feel that is worth the risk of bricked bodies.

I would never risk my business or $1500 camera to some 3rd party open sourced firmware that has no insurance or financing to cover errors & omissions. Because of someone's 3rd party open source firmware bricks my system, I would not be pleased.

That said, all Pentax needs to do is ensure the hardware can handle it then release that API to let the OS community develop the apps like tethering and maybe add some abilities to the body but it's a risk.