Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I wouldn't go so far to say "far superior".
Yeah they are getting me scared here , I was under the impression that the K-7 dynamic range was actually very good, I mean yeah new camera should have some obvious improvement but is it a crazy amount? I do a lot of nature work so this is a concern.

10-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Ya mode

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
Japanese to English translation

PENTAX K-5
12 ~ 24mm 60 ~ 250mm

When shooting K5 in green leaves, with Ya mode. It feels better now no longer feel so Purasuchikki color than before. Please enjoy the power and the reproduction of 16 million pixels

7 seconds, so this was a spec piece I could not landscape

Since it is light in weight (including lens) are less tired when you walked in the day Nakayama.

Talk Show details K5 Sapporo and Fukuoka and Tokyo's specs
Please see HP's PENTAX
10-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

If the DR is tested to be "king of the hill" I might try to pick one up after it goes below MSRP a bit.

I added a comment to the first post asking if they were post-processed.
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I think you're swallowing this pill a little too easily. Need to cool it with the expectations or you're bound for disappointment once it finally arrives.

No worries, I've got a D700 to wash it all down with in case it all comes down crashing.

10-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

text under B&W images

Since becoming a digital age, I have become more than a color photograph or film footage of the subject. There is also a means of expression but that black and white. Monochrome mode is also equipped with a digital camera manufacturer's why is also equipped with filters and monochrome

Common people and nature photo series rain "Oh I will not do," and mutters that, what is often a good black and white rain. Photos of the gradient will be very soft and light. Photos said to be almost black and white classic is an all ages. A masterpiece that shake the world from becoming digital color and, in my small experience I have never seen. Tasmania Gallery curator Aizen (Curator) added, "It can take a good portrait in black and white photographers were want to be a world-class" and may advise you. Because she was from the museum's chief curator of the Royal Australian original, I had insight Yu. Because K5 Monokuromoro so please try and pains but black and white. Please enjoy the unique world of black and white and over 16 million pixels

But black is actually very hard to be deep. It is obvious there is no color, must show a gradient of white and black. In some cases, make a color photograph at least in the minds of the people should not be seen without. So who caught the spectrum of composition, and photo opportunities will be required. In the first few school years photo I took me only a black and white 50mm lens. Well it's doing the subject (rather than watch, observe, penetrate, feel the view) that is required. NY I was doing a drawing in art school in Fasshonfotogurafa Maki firmly, and then the subject was going to see properly, NY She has taught young creator Drawing

This K% black and white is filtered red or orange (because of the contrast adjustment, not for coloring. For details, please read a text book picture) and ・ ・ ・, followed by Oh in Tokyo, Sapporo Please come to the live experience means I will talk with Pentax Talk show in Fukuoka

Postscript
Pentax 645D yesterday's Good Design Award, which was Rimiteddorenzushirizu Long Life Design Award. HP and Pentax's tail all means please visit the media.

Access ranking third place thanks to a hot afternoon and everybody, and now over 3600 access numbers. This is the second in history. By the way, one's position when released S5pro Fujifilm, a UP Puromoshonn was down taking pictures when you access beyond 5000. Thank you everyone access to a top goal of over 5000 hot Pentakkususapota
10-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by McKajVah Quote
I fail to see what is so impressive with the shots... Please enlighten me.
I'm with you. These could have been taken with any DSLR. Heck, they could have been taken with a decent P&S for all we know.
10-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The impressive part (assuming no extensive PPing has been done) is in the DR, as everyone else has said. The ability to have very bright brights and very dark darks in the same frame, without blowing out the brights or having the darks fall into a black hole.

10-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The impressive part (assuming no extensive PPing has been done) is in the DR, as everyone else has said. The ability to have very bright brights and very dark darks in the same frame, without blowing out the brights or having the darks fall into a black hole.
I understand the theory, but without seeing the environment with your own eyes or comparing the shot to another camera's production, these shots tell you nothing.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but when I see a user saying that these quick snapshots in the woods with unknown settings and no comparison makes his/her K-x look like a toy, I just have a face-palm moment. The rampant excitement is great, but its all getting too much like a crack addict taking a hit every time a vga-sized snapshot surfaces.

All I ask: Please maintain the "enthusiasm", but minimize the "crazy".
10-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I understand the theory, but without seeing the environment with your own eyes or comparing the shot to another camera's production, these shots tell you nothing.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but when I see a user saying that these quick snapshots in the woods with unknown settings and no comparison makes his/her K-x look like a toy, I just have a face-palm moment. The rampant excitement is great, but its all getting too much like a crack addict taking a hit every time a vga-sized snapshot surfaces.

All I ask: Please maintain the "enthusiasm", but minimize the "crazy".
As an ex-forester, I can say with some confidence that almost all forests (of any type) ALL exhibit some similarities. One of those similarities is that except for exceedingly dense cover that eliminates all sunlight penetration; there is a very large dynamic range, extending from patches of bright sunlight to dense shade. These forest shots exhibit that characteristic. Assuming that the posted shots weren't extensively post processed, these shots show great dynamic range.

NaCl(but as others have said, wait till the camera comes out)H2O
10-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Count me as part of the group who see nothing substantial about these images. Sure some of them are nice, but thats the glass and photographer talking not the camera. I don't get all of the DR comments either... I tried looking at the images with that perspective and came out thinking they look like NORMAL images taken with great glass.
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Any differences at low ISOs tend to be small anyway, especially in photos of this size. Also beyond that the differences are subjective and vary from person to person. This said, I get a sense looking at these photos that there is definitely a different feel from these images versus K-7 images. Although many of the samples would basically look identical when taken between two cameras, there was one photo that stuck out to me that the K-7 might have trouble with:

This one seemed richer in color than I'm used to seeing from my K-7 in a similar situation and it seems to handle the brightness of the sky versus the darkness of the trees very well.
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
it seems to handle the brightness of the sky versus the darkness of the trees very well.
That was handled well? The sky is clipped, as pretty much any camera properly exposing the trees will do. I'm missing something. Spot-meter a tree, look up and shoot. That's all you have to do to mimic this shot. If the sky was blue and clouds were visible, I'm seeing your point. I see properly exposed vegetation and blown sky (not to mention purple-fringing galore in the trees on this lens...typical of a lot of lenses, but notable).
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I just took some shots with a DA* 300 and D-FA 100mm Macro with the K-7 for a completely un-scientific DR comparison.

sjwaldron's Album: K-7 Green Leaves DR Test - PentaxForums.com
10-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
As an ex-forester, I can say with some confidence that almost all forests (of any type) ALL exhibit some similarities. One of those similarities is that except for exceedingly dense cover that eliminates all sunlight penetration; there is a very large dynamic range, extending from patches of bright sunlight to dense shade. These forest shots exhibit that characteristic. Assuming that the posted shots weren't extensively post processed, these shots show great dynamic range.

NaCl(but as others have said, wait till the camera comes out)H2O
+1. I've taken enough photos on hikes to know of the dynamic range challenges of shooting in woods. Surprising, they are the same challenges whether I'm in Maine or Nova Scotia or California or the Philippine jungles. These shots, at first glance, seemed a touch better than I've been able to achieve with the K20d. Are they perfect, with deep blue skies and well exposed trees? No, but better.

I wonder if any of these are using the built-in HDR feature of the K-5?
10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #45

Photos: Albums
I am not impressed either so far. Not only these shots could be taken with a K100D ( which I own ) but they are too small in size to judge their IQ.
I don't get it when people are excited over the DR just by looking at these.
I am not critisizing the K5, I may get one, but this is not enough...