Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DR is something with which a fair amount of people have problems "distinguishing", myself included.
However, I tend to agree that when you try taking shots in deep forests, the DR is more often than not overwhelming.

Whether the K7 vs. the K5 shows a great deal of difference can only be ascertained if, and only if, you were to take the exact same shot(s) with the same exposure, same lens, same everything except with two different cameras.
Then, you'd be comparing two exact images from two cameras ... I am sure you would be able to see the differences, if any.

Am I right on this?

JP

10-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The impressive part (assuming no extensive PPing has been done) is in the DR, as everyone else has said. The ability to have very bright brights and very dark darks in the same frame, without blowing out the brights or having the darks fall into a black hole.
Agree.
10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #48
Inactive Account

things are two if u dont find these impresive compared to k7

1- u dont have k7

2- u dont have used extensevely and in harsh condition the k7

the sensor is superb, and i love my k7.

in many of those situation the k7 would have handled things far inferior, probably a lot of the frame complete dark to preserve higlight.
color tonality and smoothness is far superior.
i think dr is at least 1 1/3 stop more than k7
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
DR is something with which a fair amount of people have problems "distinguishing", myself included.
However, I tend to agree that when you try taking shots in deep forests, the DR is more often than not overwhelming.

Whether the K7 vs. the K5 shows a great deal of difference can only be ascertained if, and only if, you were to take the exact same shot(s) with the same exposure, same lens, same everything except with two different cameras.
Then, you'd be comparing two exact images from two cameras ... I am sure you would be able to see the differences, if any.

Am I right on this?

JP

as many have said shooting inside a forest show mostly of the time apart early morning and sunset the same lighting path, in a suny day. so it's easy if you have shot in a forest with a k7, even at this file size, to recognize that if nothing has been done to the file, the drange is at least one stop better, but im sure is more especially in the lights.

10-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The photos are not masterpieces...

but we can see the good work of light metering and DR possibility.

I'd like to see DNG.
This is why Pentax needs to get some cameras into the hands of some pro photographers. Wouldn't it be a nice change to see the first leaked sample images actually turn out to be "Nice" photos? With 7fps, ISO 51,200 and improved AF we should be looking a picture of a boxer getting his teeth knocked out - not countless pictures of trees in a forest.
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #51

Original Poster
I spend a lot of time hiking in the forest in Southern Japan and I have to attest that the light level is exceedingly low and yet the variation between dark areas and bright sources of light shining through the tree top or in the background or a clearing is extreme. I essentially have to stop sometimes and give my eyes time to adjust so I can avoid stepping on a camouflaged Mamushi(Pit Viper) or atleast see where I am going. These conditions are an extreme test for the DR and metering systems of any camera. I have to say that these exposures are superb in light of the conditions. I would like to know if the exposure are manual or auto because somebody/something has done exceedingly well. The DR looks very good too. Nice detail and texture in the bark of the trees and other areas in the shadows and yet the highlights are not completely destroyed. The shot through the trees pointing towards the sky is a good example. I really like the way the camera is rendering green as well. Not too luminous or fluorescent like some other cameras. Very natural indeed. Thats important for this type of photography in the forests and mountains anyway. As is weight, sealing and very good high ISO and DR. Maybe they developed this camera in the forests of Japan. Exposing it too mist and rain, to large temperature variations and extreme differences in brightness.
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #52

Original Poster
If your in Japan the K5 will be debuted at the following locations. Click on the maps to see a list of photographers who will be attending.
デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAX

10-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
If your in Japan the K5 will be debuted at the following locations. Click on the maps to see a list of photographers who will be attending.
ƒfƒWƒ^ƒ‹ˆŠƒŒƒtƒJƒƒ‰:PENTAX
Cool thanks!!!
Please keep us none Japanese speaking people updated, I would love to hear about the events as they unfold!
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
I'm with you. These could have been taken with any DSLR. Heck, they could have been taken with a decent P&S for all we know.
So... still getting the d7000 then i assume
10-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schufosi777 Quote
デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAX
This mean launching date in Tokyo is tomorrow October 2nd for us in NA
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I received a response from the blog owner.

>DRはよいですね
Someone sent him a private comment, which he replied with that. I assume DR means dynamic range. (Translation: The DR is nice, isn't it?)

>基本的に後処理はしない主義です。以前の記事にも書いたとおりjpegとってだしです

Basically, my principal is to not do post processing. Also, In the previous news article, I wrote that there were taken in JPEG.

I sent him a second response asking if he has a K-7 and if he could take a photo with the same lens and place. We shall see if he helps us out or not.

Also, I think it's pretty mean spirited to complain about his photos, I think they are nice.
10-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
This is why Pentax needs to get some cameras into the hands of some pro photographers. Wouldn't it be a nice change to see the first leaked sample images actually turn out to be "Nice" photos? With 7fps, ISO 51,200 and improved AF we should be looking a picture of a boxer getting his teeth knocked out - not countless pictures of trees in a forest.
They probably are in the hands of some Pro Beta testers right now, but very likely they are on legally binding Non-Disclosure agreements, so you won't see their shots on web-sites and blogs.

A friend once participated in pre-production field proving tests for some equipment from a well-known consumer brand. The legal verbiage they made him sign covered 7 pages
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote

Also, I think it's pretty mean spirited to complain about his photos, I think they are nice.
It was a poor choice of words when I said it would be better to see "nice" photos. These are indeed "nice" but they are far from extraordinary and they do nothing to prove the capabilities of the camera. There are many professionals using Pentax equipment that are capable of producing extraordinary images on short notice and having Pentax control the leak by letting some of these guys show their early work with a new camera would sure be a nice change. As I said in another post here recently - there is a surf photographer sponsored by Pentax and to hype the release of the k-5 he produced a video with the k-7. At the end of his post he said "these images were shot using the K7, just imagine what I will be doing with the all new K5. Stay tuned"...

yah... ok. Nice K-5 video . Now here we are looking at pictures of trees...
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
They probably are in the hands of some Pro Beta testers right now, but very likely they are on legally binding Non-Disclosure agreements, so you won't see their shots on web-sites and blogs.

A friend once participated in pre-production field proving tests for some equipment from a well-known consumer brand. The legal verbiage they made him sign covered 7 pages
Absolutely. Hoya wants everything under wraps until they are ready to reveal it, even if there are only very small tweaks yet to be done. Any beta tester will know that if they leak photos, they may not test for Pentax again.
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Absolutely. Hoya wants everything under wraps until they are ready to reveal it, even if there are only very small tweaks yet to be done. Any beta tester will know that if they leak photos, they may not test for Pentax again.
Pentax should be controlling the leaks... have it in the contract - "on September 15 you are allowed to post 5 images to your blog taken with the new equipment". Just a small bit of verbage to add to the NDA. Otherwise just let Ned release some images - he's a pretty good photographer - as long as they are not pictures of his garden

I must admit these images are a LOT better than what I saw with the kx release... but if these things are going to slip out anyway why not take control of the situation.