Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
So... still getting the d7000 then i assume
I can see where he is coming from, I own a LX3 and I might have been able to capture and display similar pics at that size no problem with quality. They need to be bigger and better for any real judgment imo.

10-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #62
Forum Member

Oh yeah, totally forgot that there was a Pentax event today. Maybe I'll go check it out tomorrow
10-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #63

Original Poster
??????????????????? : ??????????????????
3 more forest shots.
10-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #64
Veteran Member

good shots

Specially the latest three
??????????????????? : ??????????????????
I tried for Google translation but it seems very confusing. Only thing I could make out that Mr. Masaaki doesnt like to shoot with Polarizing filters which may affect lens qualities. I thing he doesnt like to use extensive PP too.

So we can guess that the shots which are posted are JPEG direct from camera and seem very good, moreover in the last three shot I guess he tried to mimic the effect of Polarizing filter by somehow tweaking on camera image adjustments before and after taking the shot.
He might have tried DRE (dynamic range extender) and some specific scene mode with fine adjustments. K-5 does provide plethora of fine adjustment even with scene modes.

Yes bigger size would be great but what I guess is this professional photographer is still evaluating the camera and going to give his feedback to Pentax. Before that we may not see full size images.
His profile is very interesting;
MASAAKI AIHARA
I see Sony, Fujifilm, Honda, Australian Embassy and Aus. tourism commission are his clients.

10-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Yeah, those last three (particularly the first, with the moss) really show off the DR.
10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #66

Sony SLT-A55 Review: 11. Dynamic Range: Digital Photography Review

I think it's pretty safe to assume at this point that the K-5 is using the 16mp Exmor HD sensor, so why not just look at the A55 review? From the graph it looks like the A55 has 5.4EV of shadow range and 3.6EV of highlight range (better than any Pentax camera to date) for a total of 9EV.

I doubt we'll see any improvement on the highlight side, but better noise control may help with the shadow range. Both the K-7 and K-x manage 5.7EV shadow on DPreview's tests, so if the K-5 matches that we'd be looking at 9.3EV(5.7S/3.6H) on DPreview site and probably ~12.5-13EV on DXO mark. While the K-5 will likely be very solid, I think claims of 14EV on DXO mark are optimistic at best. It's rather hard to believe that a 16mp CMOS sensor will beat the S3/S5 at its own game.

All I'm really asking of this camera is an ISO 1600 that's 1 stop better than the K-7/K10D and 12.6EV or better on the DXOmark scale. The K-7 is a brilliantly perfect camera for me in every regard except sensor performance--I still prefer using my K10D in certain situations. DR wise the shots from the A55 review are pretty promising, so you can count me in as excited for the K-5.

dsc03828.jpg
d-range1.jpg

Edit: On the topic of the thread itself, those forest shots look pretty good DR wise, especially for out of camera JPGs. I recently tried my hand at shots from inside a forest, and I have to say it was very challenging getting a good exposure.
10-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I miss something? Do we know what ISO (s) these shots were taken at? If these are ISO 6400 JPEGS, without postprocessing, that would be interesting indeed.

10-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
Pentax should be controlling the leaks... have it in the contract - "on September 15 you are allowed to post 5 images to your blog taken with the new equipment". Just a small bit of verbage to add to the NDA. Otherwise just let Ned release some images - he's a pretty good photographer - as long as they are not pictures of his garden

I must admit these images are a LOT better than what I saw with the kx release... but if these things are going to slip out anyway why not take control of the situation.
I actually agree with you. Early photos tend to tell more about the photographer than the camera and it would make a lot of sense to have the initial photos be great photos taken by excellent photographers. It would keep the buzz going, allowing some photos to be released, even if they had to be run through some Pentax official for approval.

It is not really clear what Hoya's fear is. If it is that some photos will come out that make the K5 look bad, they have to remember that you can make any camera/sensor look bad if you try hard enough. Just under expose a couple of stops in low light situations. Invariably there will be folks who buy a K5, coming from a point and shoot who do exactly that and then will complain about the lousy image quality. Still, it is pretty easy to tell if someone has screwed up the settings on the camera, versus actually having a poor sensor. To me, the K5 sensor definitely looks above average.
10-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I'm sorry.
Wake me once DXO Labs (or someone else similarly equipped) does some actual lab-based tests of the K-5 sensor in relation to DR, colour depth, ISO etc. Then we can have an informed discussion on the issue.
10-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm sorry.
Wake me once DXO Labs (or someone else similarly equipped) does some actual lab-based tests of the K-5 sensor in relation to DR, colour depth, ISO etc. Then we can have an informed discussion on the issue.
I'm putting in for a wakeup call as well. Till then, nighty night.
10-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is more important - what the lab says or what a competent photographer can produce? It is true, we don't know anything about exposure setting or PP, but we can see pretty impressive DR. Advance orders for K-5 might be enhanced with examples like these.
10-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I think it's pretty safe to assume at this point that the K-5 is using the 16mp Exmor HD sensor
Pentax's own representative has already confirmed this:

10-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
What is more important - what the lab says or what a competent photographer can produce? It is true, we don't know anything about exposure setting or PP, but we can see pretty impressive DR. Advance orders for K-5 might be enhanced with examples like these.
Hmmm... A competent photographer can produce a good exposure (including forest shots with varying light) with almost any advanced camera. These examples show good DR, but as many has said, without proper info or raw data it is hard to draw any other conclusions than "this looks promising", to which I agree.

Lab data on the other hand, will tell us what boundaries we will have to work within, wrt noise, DR and other parameters such as "colour accuracy" etc. Any good photographer can make a camera sing while working within the limits, it is when we approach the extremes these things start to matter.
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Great video

thanks Gawan!!1

Pretty clear Sony exmor sensor.

Atindra
10-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #75

Original Poster
??????????????????? : ????????????????????
This shot in the forest demonstrates the DR well. Decent detail and texture in the bark of both trees. Unprocessed as well from what another poster said.